Grrrrrrrr...I've had it with Pop Up Ads...Grrrrrrr

This is a discussion on Grrrrrrrr...I've had it with Pop Up Ads...Grrrrrrr within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not that I usually harbor ill will where the places I visit on the Net are concerned.... Ever since I got my computer back from ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Manderinobyebye
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By BradL

Thread: Grrrrrrrr...I've had it with Pop Up Ads...Grrrrrrr

Thumbs down Grrrrrrrr...I've had it with Pop Up Ads...Grrrrrrr

Not that I usually harbor ill will where the places I visit on the Net are concerned....

Ever since I got my computer back from the shop It has been acting weird. In all the years I've had a computer I never had the the issues I've had in recent months. Since I spend a lot of time on DC.com I've often wondered if this issue with my pc was attributable with this particular website in an effort to drum up sales of whatever. I don't know. If that is the case and I'm not saying it is then I reckon that's life and that's the way it is. When I was at my Sisters place the pop up problem was the same.

The pop up ads I get show up in the lower right hand corner about 2 inches square. Sometimes instead of this pop up my computer literally flies into a new window (all by itself) altogether and completely bounces out of DC.com. I just click the 'minimize' icon and I'm back here. What really irritates me is the windows I have open that are inside the Mozilla icon at the bottom of the screen in the bar from the start button to the time/today's date they mess with me too.

I'm of the mind the issue is floating around inside my computer. Being the old guy I am I've no idea how to fix it or drive it out. Short of having an exorcism or taking it back to the shop I am at my wit's end. My question here is: Am I the only one here plagued by this type of thing or do others here share my consternation with this?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You might want to take it to a different shop. Sounds like somebody disabled your anti-virus program and took your computer for a spin through Cyberia. Ghostery is a great program for knocking down pop-ups.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    If i'm reading a thread like now,i don't get the popups either.I use google chrome as my browser,and i have a anti virus program.It could be something to do with your anti virus program,but that's just a guess.

If you have Mozilla there may be pop up blocker on it,that's cut off.
    Sister likes this.

Adblock plug in for your browser. Maleware bytes to clean the maleware. AVG free anti virus. If its gets real bad, combo fix will take care of it. If that doesnt work I charge 50 dollars to re do the PC...
    Tzadik likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

There are a couple of free options here, first I would try a web site called Trendmicro.com. Google either Trendmicro or Housecall. They provide free online virus scan and removal, then download a program called AVG Free, (Google it). That will install and keep you protected going forward. Then I would download and install a program call Spybot, (again Google it). It's a free Malware program and gets rid of hidden programs on your computer and causes pop-ups and other behavior like your are describing. I just did then to my laptop and it sped it up and fixed the pop-ups... Good Luck.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Perhaps the repair shop turned off the "pop-up" blocker.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    NONAME you need a blocker put on your computer like suggested. And also like suggested you can get them free by downloading them.

If you don't feel comfortable downloading one on the computer you can purchase them at the store for anywhere around $35-$100. Most last a year and have great protection. It will cost you less than a repair person to get it cleaned out and fixed.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Not that I usually harbor ill will where the places I visit on the Net are concerned....

Ever since I got my computer back from the shop It has been acting weird. In all the years I've had a computer I never had the the issues I've had in recent months. Since I spend a lot of time on DC.com I've often wondered if this issue with my pc was attributable with this particular website in an effort to drum up sales of whatever. I don't know. If that is the case and I'm not saying it is then I reckon that's life and that's the way it is. When I was at my Sisters place the pop up problem was the same.

The pop up ads I get show up in the lower right hand corner about 2 inches square. Sometimes instead of this pop up my computer literally flies into a new window (all by itself) altogether and completely bounces out of DC.com. I just click the 'minimize' icon and I'm back here. What really irritates me is the windows I have open that are inside the Mozilla icon at the bottom of the screen in the bar from the start button to the time/today's date they mess with me too.

I'm of the mind the issue is floating around inside my computer. Being the old guy I am I've no idea how to fix it or drive it out. Short of having an exorcism or taking it back to the shop I am at my wit's end. My question here is: Am I the only one here plagued by this type of thing or do others here share my consternation with this?
    I thought "Sister" was a 40ish woman! I have an image inside and everything - now I'll have to completely re-arrange my psyche.

To the topic: most any browser has a "Block Pop-Ups" selection . You go to the name of the browser which is on the top of your screen, the last category on the left. Click on the name and on the list that you see click on "Preferences". In "Preferences" you'll see a choice for "Content". Select '"No Pop-Ups" or something similarly worded.

If that doesn't work download another browser: a Mozilla offering called "Firefox" is good. With NO POP-UPS selected, I never get them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    Then I would download and install a program call Spybot, (again Google it). It's a free Malware program and gets rid of hidden programs on your computer and causes pop-ups and other behavior like your are describing. I just did then to my laptop and it sped it up and fixed the pop-ups... Good Luck.
    NO - NO - Do not install Spybot! I had it once and it put all kinds of spyware and malware on my computer! Get the free version of Super Anti Spyware. It is a good guy. Ad Aware is pretty decent too, and free also.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Links