The way it was - and the way it is

This is a discussion on The way it was - and the way it is within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack. 1960 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The way it was - and the way it is

DC Founder

Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1960 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.

2006 - School goes into lockdown, FBI and Swat team called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

==================================

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1960 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class.

2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.

1960 - Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2006 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car and parent's home searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1960 - Ants die.

2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary, hugs him to comfort him.

1960 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2006 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.

Sad but true in alot of ways.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I wasn't alive in the 60's, thank God, but growing up in the 1990's early/2000, thats pretty much dead on, people need to learn to relax a little bit and not let that state run every aspect of their life.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

lol
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Everything that happened in 1960 also happened in 1978.
    My generation was about the last before the demerit system took effect and the whole system went to hell in a handbag...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Assistant Administrator
    I recognize every draned one of those contrasts - and it is way too true.

Zero tolerance and ''nannyism'' have much to answer for, even in this time we live in where security is important. Too many things have gone to serious extremes, for the worse.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    I wasn't alive in the 60's ...
    Ach. It wasn't so bad.

Grew up in the 1960's, myself. Learned right from wrong by two upstanding, attentive and merciless (!) parents. Thanks to them, I get to be a model of the straight-and-narrow today. Simple, fair, straightforward, principled. Prefer rock-steady accommodation instead of nuclear meltdown; prefer to pull my own weight, instead of weighing down others; avoid engagement with those who value meltdowns and weighing down others. Works for me. Would work for many.

There's generation gap, and then there's generation gulf. Minus common sense and introspection, today's generation simply cannot fathom a simpler time or way of life. Too bad.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I had two fine parents who did an outstanding job raising me to be a responsible respectful productive member of society. I'm about as straight and narrow as you will find on my campus, I work year round as well as being a full time student, do community service, am perfectly fine with the pick up I drive (which i have paid for completely myself), don't own a single video game console or Mp3 player, ect... Thats really where the problem is though, in my obsevations the problem is due in a large part to parenting, not neccessarily the kids. A lot of parents these days just throw money at their kids like they do other problems they encounter. My mother stayed home until I was out of high school and my younger brother was out of grade school, maybe a big part of it, maybe why she has many of my friends who also refer to her as "Ma". I was raised to be responsible for myself, my father only raised his hand at me once and that was all it ever took, even though I have been bigger than him since I was 15.

I not only fathom a simpler time and way of life, I wish we had it, as do several of my contemporaries, unfortunately we are woefully outnumbered around campus.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

los
    Actually, in the last scenario, Johnny's parents file a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the Principal, Supervising Teacher and/or Coach and the School District for not providing a safe Campus.

Johnny is seen by a neurologist, orthopedist and psychiatrist for his Knee injury. These Experts testify under oath that Johnny's total medical charges, including but not limited to, foreseeable future health care provider expenses, will eventually exceed $300,000.00. Johnny's Attorney evaluates the tangible and intangible damages to exceed $10,000.000.00.

An out of Court settlement is reached between the Plaintiff's and all the Defendants for an undisclosed amount. A Confidential Settlement Agreement is excecuted by all the Parties.

After Plaintiff Attorney and Ad Litem fees and expenses are taken out of the settlement proceeds along with all Medical Provider charge reimbursement and Insurance subrogation, ..Johnny is left with a very small amount which is deposited in a low interest bearing bank trust account which cannot be touched by Johnny until he turns 18.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

All to true. I especially like the ant hill part. It reminds me of a certain someone who grew up in the 60's.........hmmm, who could that be?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    It's scary to think what we have become over the past couple of decades. Like I keep telling my Wife during the evening news, "we have become a nation of idiots"!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    ....yup pretty true.

I remember getting into a fistfight in class in front of a teacher....no detention, no nothing.

Today, I'd have my kisser plastered on a WANTED sign at every local Post Office.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

In 1958 I was in at least 7 fights in school, 1 was in gym class and I recieved 4 swats with the paddle. after the 4th reported fight(other 3 not reported) I had to spend lunch in study hall for a month. I never started any of the fights but never backed down from bullys. It was part of being new in that school and I was just finding my place in the pecking order. You had to do somthing really bad to get kicked out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    It's scary to think what we have become over the past couple of decades. Like I keep telling my Wife during the evening news, "we have become a nation of idiots"!!
    Rick, you have just insulted all the real idiots in America. Most people I come in contact with would give idiots a bad name.

Yeah, I grew up in the 50s. I still have scare under my chin from where someone jumped out of a swing and it flew back and caught me under the chin as I was pushing the kid in the next swing. The teacher put some alcohol one it and the school nurse looked at it and put some gauze and tape on it. 5 hours later I got home. My mother asked what had happened. I told her. She took the bandage off, pronounced the work good, and put another bandage on. About 3 days later the last bandage came off and no one was sue nor was anyone traumatized. Hey, that wasn't the worst thing that happened to me, it was just the first time I shed blood at school. The first grade is tough (no kindergarten for me or I'm sure blood would have been shed earlier).
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

We Brought Guns to School...

and went hunting after school...
    Also brought a deer, hit on the way to school, and processed it in the shop...had venison in the lunchroom (try that today...)

Times have definitely changed...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Sounds like I missed out on a better time in schooling. A friend of mine was wrongly suspended because a teacher insisted that a student's asprin tablet was Ecstacy. "They don't make asprin in tablets anymore!!!" The cops show up. Take him out of class. Principal has to "look tough on drugs" so she suspends him on the spot for 3 days, pending investigation.

Cops had it tested. It was asprin. School apologized, grudgingly.

It seemed like in high school (Class of 2000) that everyone was just waiting in line to take their ride in the Waaaaahmbulance. When the teachers and students have to square off and worry about lawyers on each side, it speaks volumes. Not just about the students, but the school systems as well.

My mom is a teacher. You wanna hear someone get angry about the educational system.... wow.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links