Stow High In Transit...

Stow High In Transit...

This is a discussion on Stow High In Transit... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Trivia time... MANURE--In the 16th &17th centuries, manure was used as the main source for fertilizer. Large amounts of manure were baled and shipped dry ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Sheldon J
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: Stow High In Transit...

Cool Stow High In Transit...

Trivia time...

MANURE--In the 16th &17th centuries, manure was used as the main source for fertilizer.
    Large amounts of manure were baled and shipped dry (dry manure weighed less) by sailing ships, all over the known world.

However, if the dry material happened to get wet in the hold of the ship, the fermentation started up again causing methane gas to form in the hold of the ship! The first poor sailor to go into the hold with a candle or lantern --KABOOM!!!! Several ships were sunk by these explosions!!!!

In order to make sure the manure stayed dry during shipping, the merchants started marking the bales- "STOW HIGH IN TRANSIT" to avoid contact with water that might get in the hold of the ship.

After the markings had become familiar to the seamen, they were abbreviated to S.H.I.T.

The term is still used to this day, But I always thought it was a term used in playing golf!
    tony1990 likes this.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The word is likely derived from Old English, having the nouns scite (dung, attested only in place names) and scitte (diarrhoea), and the verb scītan (to defecate, attested only in bescītan, to cover with excrement); eventually it morphed into Middle English schītte (excrement), schyt (diarrhoea) and shiten (to defecate), and it is virtually certain that it was used in some form by preliterate Germanic tribes at the time of the Roman Empire. The word may be further traced to Proto-Germanic *skit-, and ultimately to Proto-Indo-European *skheid- "cut, separate", the same root believed to have become the word shed. The word has several cognates in modern Germanic languages, such as German Scheiße, Dutch schijt, Swedish skit, Icelandic skítur, Norwegian skitt etc. Ancient Greek had 'skōr' (gen. 'skatos' hence 'scato-'), from Proto-Indo-European *sker-, which is likely unrelated.

The version you said is an email that was sent around in 2002, there is zero evidence that it has anything to do with reality.

VIP Member
    Any way you look at it it is a crappy subject.
    OutWestSystems likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Any way you look at it it is a crappy subject.
    Very nice Msgt.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I have heard that golf is called golf because they wanted a 4 letter word and their first 2 choices were already taken.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The word in question, regardless of origin, is typically the last word uttered prior to a horrible incident such as plane crash--Usually preceded by "Oh." I know it is for me!
    Last edited by OldVet; September 13th, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
    Sister and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The word in question, regardless of origin, is typically the last word uttered prior to a horrible incident such as plane crash--Usually preceded but "Oh." I know it is for me!
    I used to tell my students that is usually the first thing you hear before the pilot calls for an emergency checklist.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The word in question, regardless of origin, is typically the last word uttered prior to a horrible incident such as plane crash--Usually preceded but "Oh." I know it is for me!
    Yup. I'm a little concerned that the halls of Heaven might echo with it as I enter in.

That would be a little awkward.

Sponsored Links