Help! Windows 8 program

Help! Windows 8 program

This is a discussion on Help! Windows 8 program within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My computer came with Windows 8, the nice man at the computer place put in Windows 7 for me so I can use my computer. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Help! Windows 8 program

Distinguished Member

Help! Windows 8 program

My computer came with Windows 8, the nice man at the computer place put in Windows 7 for me so I can use my computer.

Sometime 8 comes on anyway so here's the question since I don't know how to use it yet:

How do you get OUT of Windows 8? I'm having to shut the computer off just to get it to come back on with 7. When in 8, I'm clicking all over the place, right and left. It just keeps me in 8 but goes forward and backward. I need to know how to get out of 8 and back to 7.

Can somebody help this here e-tarted blonde?
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member
    55 peeks and nobody knows? Maybe some of the young'ins will come in later that knows computers and the new windows 8.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    This older computer i got,i still have windows 7 on it.Seems like a lot of people are still trying to figure windows 8 out.Well except for the computer geniuses which i ain't.If i hear of something i will respond back,but i don't know squat about 8.
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    Computers are the worst of what is wrong with the world and the best that is right with the world .

I have a love/hate thing with mine
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I haven't upgraded yet because the best bet with Windows is usually to skip every other new system but I'm fairly certain you can change the settings so it looks and functions just like windows 7.

Actually here's a nice little tutorial for you How to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7 | Reviews | CNET UK looks pretty easy to follow.

OK, I'm in the industry and I'm a Win7 guy! My understanding is that Win8 is lot like a tablet or smart phone, it was really designed around a touch screen, not a mouse and keyboard.

Sister, take it back to the nice person that installed Win7 and tell him what it is doing. They obviously installed it as a dual boot or they goofed. Either way it should not be going into Win8 randomly. They might be able to completely purge Win8 and start fresh for you but you may lose a couple of programs that came with the system.

Be overly nice if it's a guy (you know, flirt) I'm not being sexist! The guy's a 'Puter Geek so the most interaction he gets is in a game... You'll be surprised what he may be able to do with your computer if he's a real geek...
    Dan060 likes this.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    OK, I'm in the industry and I'm a Win7 guy! My understanding is that Win8 is lot like a tablet or smart phone, it was really designed around a touch screen, not a mouse and keyboard.

Sister, take it back to the nice person that installed Win7 and tell him what it is doing. They obviously installed it as a dual boot or they goofed. Either way it should not be going into Win8 randomly. They might be able to completely purge Win8 and start fresh for you but you may lose a couple of programs that came with the system.

Be overly nice if it's a guy (you know, flirt) I'm not being sexist! The guy's a 'Puter Geek so the most interaction he gets is in a game... You'll be surprised what he may be able to do with your computer if he's a real geek...
    I flirted with the computer geek and he called all the other geeks over and took me out of the store .
    Sister likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I flirted with the computer geek and he called all the other geeks over and took me out of the store .
    Then you must have done it right...
    Sister likes this.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Speaking of Win 7, after automatic updates on 9-12 all office documents open as the window for purchasing Windows products. Had to restore back to 9-06 and turn off automatic updates. Any ideas?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    The question is: When my computer gets possessed and switches to 8 when I'm in 7 how do I get OUT of 8? No off button.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

~ Jesus ~

Sister Im geeky just enough to know this much. 7 and 8 are two different operating systems. Your computer can run one at a time but not both at once. It cant be totally switching over to 8 without being rebooted. What is probably going on is some program capability program is kicking in and making things look like 8.

Take it back and if you dont like 8, I hate it btw, back up your personal stuff and have him format and load only win 7 on it not a dual boot of both operating systems.

They should have stuck to XP it was the best system Microsoft has ever managed to produce.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Drag your cursor arrow to the top right or bottom right of your screen. A side bar will materialize. Click on settings and that will give you the option to power off.

Your geek probably didn't install dual-boot of windows 7 and windows 8.
    You probably just have windows 8 and are mistaking the 'desktop' interface for windows 7.

You see, windows 8 has 2 user interfaces. The first is the 'metro' interface which is the smart-phone/tablet like interface.
    The second is the 'desktop' interface which looks and acts more like windows 7.

When you are in the 'metro' interface, you will need to click on the 'Desktop' tile on the Windows 8 screen. The 'Desktop' tile is normally at the lower left of the group of tiles. This tile will take you to the 'Desktop' Windows 7 like interface.

If you do something in Windows 8 (like accidently start a program) put your mouse into one of the right corners. It will bring up a menu on the right of the screen. You can then click on the 'Start' icon (in the middle) and that will bring you back to the 'Metro' interface.

Thanks to my lovely wife who helped me with this answer. Even though I'm the family geek, her new 'puter has Win 8 while mine is older with Win7. She had to figure out how to work it without my help.

The joys of owning a Mac.

I run window XP on the Mac using Parallels.

Windows 7 was ok but windows 8 is just awful.

Sorry I can help you out Sister...other than to say trade in your PC and get a Mac.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Sister - I dunno. I have an aging Win 7 box that is getting pretty slow. I went looking for a new device to do my surfing and other light computing on and got an iPad. This was shortly after my wife got a Win 8 box. It took her a while to come to terms with Win 8. I chose not to bother.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links