NC Man Killed by Police After He Sought Help Following a Car Wreck

This is a discussion on NC Man Killed by Police After He Sought Help Following a Car Wreck within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Unarmed man, possibly looking for help after wreck, shot by police - CBS News Summary of the story: Guy goes off the road and down ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By IndianaSig
  • 2 Post By Brad426

Thread: NC Man Killed by Police After He Sought Help Following a Car Wreck

Unarmed man, possibly looking for help after wreck, shot by police - CBS News

Summary of the story: Guy goes off the road and down a ravine late at night, climbs back up to the road, walks to the nearest house, knocks on the door, woman who lives there is frightened and calls the police, police find the guy nearby and, according to the police report:

The statement said officers approached Ferrell to investigate the original call. Ferrell ran toward the officers and was hit with a Taser. Ferrell continued to run toward police when Officer Randall Kerrick fired his weapon, hitting Ferrell several times. Ferrell was pronounced dead at the scene.
    Something just doesn't ring true in the news account of this incident. Hopefully the truth will be uncovered. The story does say that the officer has been arrested for voluntary manslaughter.

Kerrick has been with Charlotte-Mecklenburg police since April 2011
    Not a very long time on the force. In a recent discussion I attended, an LEO of 28 years made a comment along the lines of how at the academy they drill into the recruits a fear of the danger posed by the public and their possibly being armed. He said that this makes some newer officers overly aggressive and it takes a while for experience to settle in and for their reactions to become more moderated.

I also think the report where Kerrick attempts to justify his actions would make interesting reading. Apparently his justifications didn't pass muster of review and reasonableness.

Running here.

Know your target
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Running here.

Know your target
    A good example of choosing a thread title that properly introduces the topic.
    Brad426 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    A good example of choosing a thread title that properly introduces the topic.
    I rarely get to agree with you, so let's revel in this moment.
    Sister and DontTreadOnI like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Charlotte sucs, don't care if I ever go back there.
    Last edited by Sister; September 15th, 2013 at 05:27 PM.

United Daughters of the Confederacy member

American by birth
    Christian by choice
    Southern by the grace of God

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I have always wondered why people will often claim "we are all innocent until proven guilty", but those same people will automatically assume that the police did wrong. We have no evidence that the incident didn't happen exactly as was reported, but people assume the police just gunned this poor guy down.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    I have always wondered why people will often claim "we are all innocent until proven guilty", but those same people will automatically assume that the police did wrong. We have no evidence that the incident didn't happen exactly as was reported, but people assume the police just gunned this poor guy down.
    The officer has been charged. I think he made a bad mistake.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The officer has been charged. I think he made a bad mistake.
    And if you are charged you are automatically guilty? Last I heard, we are innocent until proven guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    And if you are charged you are automatically guilty? Last I heard, we are innocent until proven guilty.
    It will play out in court as to whether his is guilty or not. We both know in the land of public opinion he is guilty. Not my rules, just the rules played out every day...As for what I believe happened, Like I said He made a bad mistake, and will answer for it. Just because he is a police officer and that the forum is police officer friendly doesnt mean he gets a get out of jail free card....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    "There's something in me I can't describe. It's as if I saw a strange darkness before me, into which I must go."
    Viktor Woellert

In the coverage I read his own dept has stated he responded with unnecessary and excessive force. A tazer, one of those non lethal options was tried and didnt discharge first.

Officer is innocent until proven guilty but not even he is really saying he had a leg to stand on for his actions as of yet.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Just because he is a police officer and that the forum is police officer friendly doesn't mean he gets a get out of jail free card....
    Like I've said before, when I need directions in an unknown town I choose to go to a manned fire station.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!! Sent via Hemp string and C Rat cans
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I'd need directions to get to the fire station to ask for directions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

We've had several threads over the last few months that have also touched on the issue of race relations. Unfortunately, it looks like this may be one of those issues. The other day, I was perusing the DailyCesspool and came across this thread on the subject, titled Another-Unarmed-Black-Man-Shot-Down this-time-while-desperately-seeking-Help. Many of the comments in the thread are downright disturbing. It would appear that a sizable portion of the site's black community firmly do believe that this man was shot by the white police simply because of his color. This thought process is inherently self destructive and self perpetuating. Fair warning, the comments about the police in general are even more disparaging.

Some choice comments include:
    The woman did not harm a hair on Jonathan Ferrell's head. The police put seven slugs in his chest. It's clear to me which party is at fault here: namely, trigger-happy cops who think every black guy reaching for a candy bar or a cell phone is going for a Glock.
    No, I'm sure the woman LIED about why she opened the door. She REALLY thought it was a rapist and when she saw it was just an injured man, shut the door in his face
    es, I'm so sure. Look. I'm talking plain common sense here, but if you want to go there, then I can also say that she opened the door, saw a black man standing there and assumed criminal intent.
    She sees a black guy at her door and she says to 911 that the guy is there to rob her. Brilliant deduction here.
    I could go on with more, but I am sure the picture is becoming perfectly clear.

What's more is that this thread wasn't the end of the discussion, as this one was posted today.

The woman set him up by her fearful description, I'm willing to bet on it. Fear is the killer.
    Whiteness is exactly the problem in this case. Whiteness is all that is ideal and blackness is all that is bad
    I see a new acceptance of racism in this country and resistance to any racial sensitivity type training for police officers.
    The demonization of black males continues.
    This got me thinking about something that happened on my way to the grocery store this last Sunday. I approached a stop sign wanting to make a left turn onto the main road and had a slight delay from traffic. I noticed two teenage males hanging out on the side of the road looking at me. They were both wearing shorts and no shirts which struck me as odd and they had funny grins on their faces that I read as, "I'm looking for trouble. Seen any recently?" Something about their demeanor caused me to feel like they were going to approach my car and try to open the door and I double checked the locks and made sure I could get my gun out with the seat belt on. Thankfully, they did nothing but stare at me and I drove on. Forget the fact that I interact with black people every day and don't have this reaction, some would say that the only reason I was uneasy about them was because they were black. Same reason this man was shot.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links