CCW Qualification

CCW Qualification

This is a discussion on CCW Qualification within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is a short anecdote but one I love to tell. Back a few years ago when I was taking my class for CCW I ...

Thread: CCW Qualification

CCW Qualification

This is a short anecdote but one I love to tell.

Back a few years ago when I was taking my class for CCW I realized that I was the only person there under 43 years of age. Actually I was 21, which is half, lol. But I was unfazed because I have been shooting since I was 5 years old, hunting since I was 7 and shooting competitively since I was 9. So more or less 12 years of shooting handguns and right at three years of shooting USPSA and CCW matches at the local gunrange with my Glock 17 I felt very confident that I would have no problem qualifying.
    The class was a breeze, came second hand since I been through every saftey course you could think of, taught the NJROTC rifle team and won many matches myself along with a few years of legal research in college.
    Then when we got to the gunrange to commense the qualification shootings I was told to go second, behind an elderly woman who was 70 something years old but said she felt like she was 50. I tried to hold the snickering back but...
    when she sat her handgun case on the counter and flipped the lid open to reveal to everyone a brandnew Desert Eagle XIX 50 AE!!!

Everyone looked each other, a few guys snickered and I asked her "Are you going to conceal this!?" She smiled, said yes and explained to us that the gundealer said that it was the best thing for selfdefense and to conceal!!
    I caught concerned eyes with the instructor but he showed her to the shooting stall where she slapped in a mag, charged one and carefully aimed the Desert Eagle XIX downrange.
    The FIRST shot was very good!!! But it also almost knocked her down and the blast scared her. Every shot after that wasn't even on the paper!! lol...

That poor old lady was had by a money grubbing individual who sold her the WRONG GUN!

I shot after her and ... I easily qualified and had fun!

So, when people ask you what they should buy please assist them!! Even go with them to a gunshop because unscrupulous dealers take advantage sometimes and us CCW should help those who want to join our ranks!!

I go with every friend/relative who has ever asked me to go with them to a gun shop for any reason, be it buying, or selling a firearm. I let them, or even strangers at ranges fire my weapons if they are interested in them (keeping a very close eye one them while shooting though, I try to size up everyone on a public range while I am there, and there are some I will not let shoot my weapons.) There have been several gun shop employees that I have left answerless while they tried to talk my friends into something they didn't want, and i brought up the reasons why that firearm wasn't appropriate for their needs.

I don't know everything about firearms, and I learn a lot of new things through forums like this. This is a very valid point that you bring up, its not a good feeling when you realize that you just spent a lot of money on something that isnt what you really wanted. Just my $.02
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    a CCW class is NOT where to learn basic pistol skills. We had a lady in her late 40's or so. Opened up the box, still in the wax paper sat her qualifying pistol. then I hear her tell the person next to her"I don't know how to work this thing". scary stuff. luckily , the instructor took some time to explain .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

In my class of 12 there were 4 "regular" (Id describe them as going to the range more than once a month, I go every week)shooters. Me, my dad, a guy that had gone through a police academy, and a former Marine scout/sniper. We had no brand new shooters, and no women, but for most of the class it had been several years if not decades since they had fired a firearm. One Korea veteran not since he had left the army in the 50's. After all the shooting was done it was rather distubring how badly people could shoot and still pass the class, one applicant missed about 50% of the shots from 7 yards, and by miss I mean missed the paper. Hopefully they all practice now regularly since they probably got their permits since. An aside, scout/ snipers are primarily long range marksmen, but I don't ever wanna get into a pistol shootout with one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Missed The Paper at 7 Yards?...

This is why I am so picky about any range I shoot at...
    I worried when at a previous range when the bullet holes were inside the cubicle stand...or the guy in the next booth was hitting his gun to clear a jam...with the barrel pointing at ME?

Now I belong to a very professional outdoor range...most shooters...EVERYONE...I have met, is a 'practiced' shooter, and most have passed the NRA Range SO Course. (They offer the course on site and have developed a 'special' extra site for anyone with this rating.)

This goes go a long way in to making things safer...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    After all the shooting was done it was rather distubring how badly people could shoot and still pass the class, one applicant missed about 50% of the shots from 7 yards, and by miss I mean missed the paper.
    50% of shots from 7 yards didn't hit paper? That is like getting a 50% on a Trig test because you wrote "False" for half of the answers...or like throwing darts and hitting yourself in the foot or like pressing the wrong pedal in car when you are trying to brake in traffic. That is just terrible! And for people who want to CCW? I find that to be a touch dangerous...and could backfire

Thats pretty much my point hekkenschutze.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

My class was put on at a National Guard camp, all of us were soldiers at the time, everyone qualified with a range from the M9, Glock 17, 1911's and my lone Sig 226.

It was all MP's, and most of us had LE regular jobs so the qual was more for fun than anything else.

Ours was a safe fun class, we made it a competition to shoot the highest scores.
    Last edited by Greg Dunn; December 4th, 2006 at 12:39 AM.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

When I got back into handguns after 15 year hiatus my wife and I signed up for a refresher course in Richmond, CA. After the classroom part the instructor took us to the range and as fate would have it the guy next to me was doing his annual qualification as an "armed guard". We were all shooting .38spl at the time. I had a 6" Smith K-38. I chose to shoot single action and take my time. I had a dozen or so rounds all in the black at 25 yds (I was pretty proud of myself.) I thought the "armed guard" guy was doing well too as I could see no holes in the buff color part of his target. Come to find out he was missing the target all together. AFAIK he still made his quals. Beats the heck out of me how, but he did.

Allan

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I remember when I took my class we were required to show basic skills and were also required to show that we could break down and clean our firearms as well. What gives?

I think it should be impossible to pass a CCW course if you cannot show basic gun handling skills. There should be a prerequisite class before the CCW class.

Why coach someone through and then give them a license to walk around with a loaded gun that they can't operate correctly.

I was at a range once and observed a woman waving a loaded gun around while standing in the lobby and saying "I have a jam... can you help". People.. including me, were hitting the floor and jumping behind displays trying to get out of the line of fire.

I think we have all seen the guys shooting sideways with a snap to their wrist.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

In Ohio the class taught for CHL is pretty much just the NRA's basic handgun course, with a little bit of legal stuff thrown in. We didn't even get much advice on how to conceal a handgun or anything.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

When I took my class we had a man in his fifties who missed the target most of the time. The same man had a jam and did not know how to clear it. While attempting to clear the jam he had the firearm pointed down the firing line. I backed off the line and requested to shoot on a different relay. After all this he was passed.

This man should not have been in this class, and he should not of passed. With that said, I spent four years in the Marine Corps and saw a lot of Marines that should not have been given anything more than a dart gun.

While I was in the Persian gulf one Marine I know fell asleep on his post, he woke up to a Air force Humvee speeding through his check point on a call. His response was to turn and shoot, he got lucky and just missed two Marines on another post. Had he been awake he would have known the Humvee was on its way. He spent the rest of the war walking guard around the HQ with a broom stick.

I see the same thing during the hunting season in MN, people get shot because other people do not identify their target, three deaths this year so far. One was a 14 year old that was shot by a person in his hunting party. He was shot twice with a rifle by a 45 year old man who said he thought he saw brown deer hide through a thicket before twice firing his rifle. The 14 year old was wearing blaze orange clothing and a camo hat.

If you own a gun of any sort know how to use it safely, train with it, keep it in working condition, and train some more. If you can't do that, do everybody a favor and sell it.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

VIP Member
    We had an elder gentlemen in our classroom that thought shooting his kitchen cabinets by accident was funny. Then on the range section of the test he checked to see if his weapon was empty by aming his weapon over the target background and pulling the trigger. He also passed.

Sponsored Links