whats wrong with the world today?

This is a discussion on whats wrong with the world today? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's a very interesting article about the origin of unreal life expectations and the current sense of entitlement. I've thought for a while telling your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: whats wrong with the world today?

Here's a very interesting article about the origin of unreal life expectations and the current sense of entitlement. I've thought for a while telling your kids they could be anything the wanted to be was bad for their expectations vs reality. I'm generation Y fyi.
    Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy | Wait But Why

VIP Member
    My 30-year-old niece sent that link to me, earlier this week.

She finally "gets it" now. She recalled being invited back to speak to a freshman class at her alma mater. She told the class that she was told by her faculty that she could expect a starting salary of 40 to 60k a year with her new business degree, and what a big, fat lie that turned out to be. Oh, and if you're here for a liberal arts degree, have a good time, but relinquish any notion of ever being paid to recite poetry, paint pretty pictures, or provide your opinion on social sciences.

Oddly, they haven't invited her back to speak since then...

That's very interesting. I'm using this tip when I interview Gen Y folk from now on:

For those hiring members of Gen Y, Harvey suggests asking the interview question, "Do you feel you are generally superior to your coworkers/classmates/etc., and if so, why?" He says that "if the candidate answers yes to the first part but struggles with the 'why,' there may be an entitlement issue. This is because entitlement perceptions are often based on an unfounded sense of superiority and deservingness. They've been led to believe, perhaps through overzealous self-esteem building exercises in their youth, that they are somehow special but often lack any real justification for this belief."

I also love the part about how social media fuels it. If you don't know how well everyone else is doing then you'll think you're doing just fine (also, if you don't know what great cupcakes other moms are making and posting on Pinterest then you'll think your cupcakes are just fine, my wife).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I think I made it to where I am through pure luck, being in the right place at the right time and hard work...in that order. I fear for generations today because now a degree means next to nothing. How can an employer reasonably ask someone who is now tens of thousands of dollars in debt to start at 30 thousand dollars a year?

I went the military route and managed to get my self in a marketable field and built my resume while getting paid for it. Mind you, not everyone wants to join the military but I don't know that there is a better option professionally speaking (assuming you choose a job with highly marketable skills.) Actually the more I think about it no matter what you choose in the military there is almost always a job for you, you just have to find one that matches your skill set.
    warbirds likes this.

That's an excellent article, especially the illustrations.

My belief is that the concept of self-esteem is entirely misunderstood by educators. It's not just holding yourself in esteem, it's doing so WHEN YOU DESERVE IT, and NOT when you don't. Undeserved self-esteem is more properly called arrogance.
    Brad426 and WHEC724 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    That's an excellent article, especially the illustrations.

My belief is that the concept of self-esteem is entirely misunderstood by educators. It's not just holding yourself in esteem, it's doing so WHEN YOU DESERVE IT, and NOT when you don't. Undeserved self-esteem is more properly called arrogance.
    It starts when they don't keep score in T-ball or flag football. My 6-year-old asked after his flag football game this past weekend "Who won?" and I told him "They did... they scored three times and you guys didn't score at all." He was bummed, what with never having "lost" at T-ball in three years. I said "You want to win you have to try harder than you guys did today". Yeah, it might have been harsh, but it was hot and I was wasted, so sue me (calm down, I'm kidding... it was a balmy 73 degrees).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

IMO..............loss of the family unit has a lot to do with it......along with lawyers as elected officials.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

VIP Member
    My son has "graduation ceremonies" for every single freakin grade, where I have to wear a sport coat and tie and applaud them like they've won a peace prize (I remember when I concluded a grade by running out of the building screaming).

You'd swear that everyone of those kids was an academic scholar by the time that they're done handing out all of the awards. Every single kid gets loaded up with little plastic trophies. It really is a bummer for the kids that worked hard and performed. When everybody is special, nobody is special.

Join a union. Be a robot. Refuse to innovate or take risk. Do not blame the baby boomers for debt or the political direction of the country.

The baby boomers paved a road of golden bricks to their dreams with debt they gladly passed along to their children and grandchildren.

Thanks for Tang and Velcro.

There were idiots before Gen Y and there are certainly idiots in Gen Y. I believe Gen Y is soft.
    Its an article written about happiness. I can almost guarantee the author missed the irony.
    Jaeger and Daddy Warcrimes like this.

I think this even extends to our modern hip hop culture. Young men are convinced they are going to rap stars or basketball players or football players with unlimited funds and Ferraris and cash they can literally rain down. When faced with the real facts of life, anger ensues followed by an entitlement attitude. They feel they deserve it so they are not above achieving through nefarious means, so they enter into a drug/gang lifestyle which is also glamorized by the same hip hop culture and to some degree they do achieve said life. Unfortunately this is at the expense of their morals and humanity. Just my opinion though on this part.

Quote Originally Posted by warbirds View Post
    Join a union. Be a robot. Refuse to innovate or take risk. Do not blame the baby boomers for debt or the political direction of the country.

The baby boomers paved a road of golden bricks to their dreams with debt they gladly passed along to their children and grandchildren.

Thanks for Tang and Velcro.

There were idiots before Gen Y and there are certainly idiots in Gen Y. I believe Gen Y is soft.
    Its an article written about happiness. I can almost guarantee the author missed the irony.
    I think you have nailed it, but I'm sure the author wanted to invoke thought rather than just dismiss Gen Y as soft. No offense intended here.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I don't really care that the GYPSY'S are unhappy. I have three myself and they seem to be doing fine and seem happy enough with their lives.

Did I spoil them? Probably a little bit, but not to the extent that they had unrealistic expectations. When they needed a dose of reality I gave it to them just like my parents did with me.

If you have a whining GYPSY in your family look at the parents (maybe yourself) and that's where you will find the root of the problem.
    Yarg28 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    My son has "graduation ceremonies" for every single freakin grade, where I have to wear a sport coat and tie and applaud them like they've won a peace prize (I remember when I concluded a grade by running out of the building screaming).

You'd swear that everyone of those kids was an academic scholar by the time that they're done handing out all of the awards. Every single kid gets loaded up with little plastic trophies. It really is a bummer for the kids that worked hard and performed. When everybody is special, nobody is special.
    And as for the Peace Prize itself, that's going the same route. Obama got one just for showing up.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

great article. Not sure I agree with some of the generational generalities but the entitlement profile is displayed pretty effectively.

Basically, many kids today, think they should graduate college, get a dream job, and begin living instantly, the way their parents do after 20 years of working to build a life.
    glocknjeep likes this.

It is cruel to raise a child through twelve to twenty plus years of school with no chance to fail or even come in second or third and then throw them into real life with their very high self-esteem. Many have thousands of dollars in student loans to repay. We went to a graduation party for a friend's daughter in June. We have know her since she was a baby. She received her master's degree in psychology. She mentioned she was taking the summer off and then going for her doctorates in another state and she already had over $49,000 in student loans to repay. She was using student loan money to finance her summer off. The sizable cash gift we gave her didn't warrant a thank you note.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links