Natural Weed/Grass killer

This is a discussion on Natural Weed/Grass killer within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got a PM request for the recipe of a natural weed killer since round-up is hazardous (referenced to climate thread) I'm hoping it's ok ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Natural Weed/Grass killer

Distinguished Member

Natural Weed/Grass killer

I got a PM request for the recipe of a natural weed killer since round-up is hazardous (referenced to climate thread) I'm hoping it's ok to post that recipe here - all ingredients are things you can get at your local grocery store. The info came from a natural gardening site I visit.

Gardening Ideas: A Bulletproof Weed Killer

Recipe for the guaranteed cheap and effective kill 'em all weed killer.

To make 1 gallon of Kill'em All!

List of Ingredients:

3 quarts of tap warm water.
    1 cup of table salt.
    3 cups of white vinegar.
    1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap.
    1 tablespoon of baking soda.

Step 1 Mix everything together, making sure that the salt is completely dissolved.
    Wait about 3 minutes just to be sure. The soap will break down the waxy surface on the leaves, allowing the vinegar to work more efficiently. It also helps the solution to stick to the leaves, giving it time to kill the weed.

Step 2 Fill a spray bottle with the solution and spray weeds thoroughly. The solution will kill any plant it comes into contact with, so be careful not to spray the plants you want to keep. Use care to avoid over-spray to neighboring plants. Small weeds will shrivel and die within 24 hours. Repeat application if regrowth occurs from the roots.

If using this on the lawn water lightly first. Then use the spray in the center of the weed.

Step 3 Pour the solution directly on the roots of large weeds that have extensive root systems. Plants like burdock may take a day or two to die off. Once the root withers and becomes soft, pull the root from the soil.

Step 4 Pour a strong solution in cracks where no vegetation is desired.

IMPORTANT: Mixing vinegar and baking soda can be dangerous. Make sure this doesn't get near your, your children or pets eyes/skin.
    tdave, Darrow75, fredg53 and 2 others like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Perfect! I didn't good a fantastic job this summer clearing the weeds out of the mulch in the kids' playset area, so I have a big mess to clean up and really hated the idea of spraying chemicals. I'm not the one who PMed you, but Thank you just the same.
    Sister likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Thanks I've been taking them out by hand, hoe and garden fork (have my own well) This looks like a good way to get the weeds with out effecting ground water. I didn't PM you either but it seems it's common need.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    If anyone knows how to kill sweet-gum saplings in a pine grove. Let me know. Roundup don't cut it, even on a foot tall sweetgum. Those boogers are tough.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Actually, the sodium in the baking soda will neutralize the Hydrogen in the acidic vinegar (that part would be for show, cool fizzing).
    Then, you are left with dish soap (alkaline) and salt, with water as a solvent.
    The alkaline & salt will change the pH of the soil enough to kill the plants, depending on the strength. (I minored in chemistry during my first degree BSME)

The reference to "climate" for Round-Up is due to killing (any) plant... since all plant life removes carbon dioxide (CO2) from the troposphere.

I have always enjoyed my gardens until I wrecked my spine last year. Did some hobby-farming (40 acres) for a couple decades with commercial cash crops, Alphalfa-Timothy for the horses, feed corn, oats, apple orchard, and a half acre garden for canning veggies.

Your 'Recipe' is good, but you can simplify it by adding some salt to lye-based soap with water to dilute, or just put your sodium chloride/lye mixture directly on the vegetation you wish to eliminate.

Myself, I use generic Round-Up and a paint brush or spray bottle and apply a couple strokes to a Poison Ivy plant, etc., and allow the plant to die systemically, so no poison touches your soil.

Lots of chemistry involved in gardening. My problem is always insects & birds wanting to eat my groceries before its ripe enough.
    I learned a roll of nylon chicken wire (cheap) will keep the birds out and its reusable. I hate using poisons on the bugs, but I found a light dusting of "Sevin" powder is about the best I can do without losing too much of my garden.
    Pinot likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Just white vinegar by itself will kill most plants, and vinegar with soap seems to be more effective.

Mix 1 quart vinegar with 2 tbsp of dish soap in a spray bottle. Simply spray the mixture on the leaves of the plant. Be careful not to spray this solution on desirable plants, all exposed leaves. Within hours the plant or grass will start turning brown. Repeat if necessary.

I believe that the soap holds the vinegar in contact with the plant for a longer period of time.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If anyone knows of something that will kill Brazilian Pepper trees invading FL, let me know. Round up (& everything else) seems to be fertilizer to it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I use Round Up for the same reason Patriot mentioned... it kills systemically and doesn't get into the soil. I do a lot of hand pulling of weeds too.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

We use a lot of generic round up. It is a very safe chemical to use. It started out as a soap. Use as patriot described and it will not be a problem. An active weed is pushing up new growth and it is hard for the chemical to translocate. On tought weeds the best time is in the fall when they are storing in the root zone. Some weeds are just to tough. A little liquid fertilizer in the mix helps the weed to take it in, keep the PH in the water low and use a little spreader/sticker. Even watering before an application will help.

You could always just get a dog and train the dog to pee on the same spot over and over again. Guaranteed killer! I have little dead patches all over my yard.
    CanuckQue and NONAME762 like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I use Round Up for the same reason Patriot mentioned... it kills systemically and doesn't get into the soil. I do a lot of hand pulling of weeds too.
    You've been duped by the Monsanto BIG LIE. Roundup does certainly get into the soil and also into the water supply. And the "neutral additives" are not neutral but also poisonous. Please, please, quit supporting the company that is destroying our food supply with their genetically modified seeds and poisonous chemicals that get into and stay in our water and our air.

Listen to Sister. And/or buy any of Jerry Baker's books. He has non toxic formulas for most everything "outdoors".

Amazon.com: plants are still like people

(Hope that link to Amazon works)
    Sister and miller_man like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    You've been duped by the Monsanto BIG LIE. Roundup does certainly get into the soil and also into the water supply. And the "neutral additives" are not neutral but also poisonous. Please, please, quit supporting the company that is destroying our food supply with their genetically modified seeds and poisonous chemicals that get into and stay in our water and our air.

Listen to Sister. And/or buy any of Jerry Baker's books. He has non toxic formulas for most everything "outdoors".

Amazon.com: plants are still like people

(Hope that link to Amazon works)
    Monsato also owns some companies that we "think" sell good for you food, may advertised as natural and/or organic. I stopped buying from these companies. Maybe I can find the link of the list? I know I had it on my old computer.

Here's one site, there are many others if you just google to find the dangers of Round Up The Hidden Dangers of Roundup

I refuse to use it in my yard after reading what all it will do to the human cells.

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Distinguished Member
    Chemical owned companies from Monsato: (round-up included)
    Monsanto Brands | Monsanto Boycott

Some foods that we think are good for us and cost a lot that they own: (this one got me, everyone has used most of these)
    Monsanto Owned Companies & Products , page 1
    ShooterGranny and Darrow75 like this.

Someone asked me how to get grass to grow in dead spots in their yard. I said, "Simple. Put a flower bed there and you won't be able to keep the grass out of it for love or money."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I use Round Up sparingly, mostly on weeds that come up between the patio pavers. Also, I'm very allergic to Poison Ivy and that gets an extra dose whenever I find it. Like everything, you just have to be careful and don't overdo it.

There are trade off's to everything. I know a lot of people don't like chemicals in the food industry but the truth is, we would never be able to grow enough crops without herbacides and pestacides to feed the populations. Much of the crop would die off due to bugs and disease.
    CanuckQue likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links