Question about building a firing range

This is a discussion on Question about building a firing range within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just found out a few hours ago that the sell of my home fell through. Not sure if I'm happy or sad, both to be ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By oldskeetshooter

Thread: Question about building a firing range

Distinguished Member

Question about building a firing range

Just found out a few hours ago that the sell of my home fell through. Not sure if I'm happy or sad, both to be sure. I have put many hours on this house, even designed the plan. It is hurricane safe and now what I need is a security system and that will be happening soon since I'll be staying here.

The guns and my safe will come back into the home since it will not be for sale any longer, and now I can plan a big garden for next year by clearing some trees.

My question is I want to know how big a dirt pile to have to shoot in the back yard (this was a bonus for staying here in the country). Can I get by with half a truck load? Should I put up a wood fence behind it?

I will not be shooting my 308 into it, way too powerful. This will be for my .38, .40 pistols and a 12G shotgun & .22ar.

I'm flat broke (have not worked since July 20th due to the Fibromyalgia and RA) so I'm looking for suggestions to be safe buy yet cost effective.

Just having it in the back yard will save a bundle from not having to drive to the range (suv is gas hog). Other neighbors shoot in the hood (AR's too, I hear them) so nobody will freak about it.

Suggestions will be very much appreciated!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

2. Remove Ads

The NRA could be your friend on plans and specs for simple berms. The question is: would it be cheaper to haul in earth or get a small dozer out to push something up? The dozer could make short work of those trees too while he was at it.
    Sister likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The NRA could be your friend on plans and specs for simple berms. The question is: would it be cheaper to haul in earth or get a small dozer out to push something up? The dozer could make short work of those trees too while he was at it.
    Wish I had the money for a dozer! Can get a load of dirt (sand, mostly what all we got here) for around $100. Do have some lumber I can build a back stop for the sand/dirt to be pushed against. Am thinking of having Bubba just dump the pile in the back and start shooting at the pile of dirt. I DO NOT plan on shooting the 308 in this dirt pile. Nothing stronger than a .40 or the 12G. I did find a few web sites, one said to build it about 6' high. I can't use the dirt in the yard, need all I can get. We are not that high above sea level here, if you were to dig down much where I live then I'd have a swamp here that would invite unwanted guest (copper heads/alligators). Sure would love to snag one of those gators...I'd have me a nice new gun belt with matching holster

If you (or anyone else) thinks the pile needs to be higher let me know, Bubba will just dump the dirt, I can push it around!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

VIP Member
    I like the way you think, Sister. I'm no knowledge source, but I've built a few unimpressive personal ranges. I once thought about building a public range, but the regulations dissuaded me. My first question would be "what is behind your backstop"? If someone were to pull a shot over your 6' berm with a .40 cal, where would the trajectory take the bullet?

Good idea on bringing the dirt in. I did one where it was too remote to bring in a truck, so I built it up by using a front-end loader with a back-hoe. It took all day, and now I have a pit that I worry that a trespasser might fall in. This one also has a short back stop. As a result, I'm not comfortable bringing other shooters in there for fear that they'll pull a shot over. In fact, I don't use it much myself for the same reason... I guess I'm leaning towards a bigger pile for you.

Sister why not make several signs you can tack onto utility poles or some such with the words Free Fill Dirt Wanted and your phone number?

Busted up concrete buried in your dirt berm would work too I would think.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Make use of the trees that you remove from your garden area. Part of my backstop is Sweetgum, Pine and Oak. Cut into about 6' lengths and stacked, with the ends facing me, between two large Oaks that are about 10' apart. The stack is about 7 to 8 feet tall. They have been there for about 5 years now and still stop bullets.
    Sister likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

I had a backstop made of a double thick stack of used RR ties I got for $6./each and never had a round penetrate the first layer in 6 years. Many of my 230 gr .45 RN bullets would fall onto the ground in front of the ties.

It was heavily used while I was shooting LE Combat Competition by all calibers of sidearms and I used it to sight in a rifle or three. It was 5 ft tall and 8 ft wide and had a Spruce forest behind it and my horses grazing behind those. Otherwise, there was nothing behind the backstop for miles.
    The range grade ammo (WWB, AE, etc) didn't have the power to hurt it much.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    I had a backstop made of a double thick stack of used RR ties I got for $6./each and never had a round penetrate the first layer in 6 years. Many of my 230 gr .45 RN bullets would fall onto the ground in front of the ties.
    Patriot - how many guys did it take to lift those ties? I'm wanting to do the same. Actually tried already, but the Home Depot boys bout destroyed the bed of my truck dropping them in with a fork lift... but that's another story. Gotta figure something else out.

Links