Starbucks to Gun Owners - Bug Off!!!!

This is a discussion on Starbucks to Gun Owners - Bug Off!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Starbucks has finally taken a stance on guns - they are not welcome (while not outright banning them) on their property and Starbucks Appreciation Days ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Starbucks to Gun Owners - Bug Off!!!!

VIP Member

Starbucks to Gun Owners - Bug Off!!!!

Starbucks has finally taken a stance on guns - they are not welcome (while not outright banning them) on their property and Starbucks Appreciation Days by gun owners are most unwelcome and not to take place in Starbucks stores.

Starbucks: Guns unwelcome, but not banned from stores | Fox News

I can take a hint. Dunkin Donuts has better coffee anyway.

Company Information & Brands

Starbucks Corporation
    2401 Utah Avenue South
    Seattle, WA 98134
    United States - Map
    Phone: 206-447-1575
    Fax: 206-318-3432

Key Executives
    Mr. Howard D. Schultz , 60, Founder, Chairman, Chief Exec. Officer and Pres
    Mr. Troy Alstead , 50, Chief Financial Officer, Principal Accounting Officer and Chief Admin. Officer
    Mr. Clifford Burrows , 54, Group Pres of Americas and US, EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) and Teavana
    Mr. John Culver , 53, Group Pres of China & Asia Pacific, Channel Devel. (CPG) and Emerging Brands
    Mr. Jeffery J. Hansberry , 49, Pres of China & Asia Pacific Region

The company offers its products under the Starbucks, Tazo tea, Seattle’s Best Coffee, Starbucks VIA Ready Brew, Starbucks Refreshers, Evolution Fresh, La Boulange, and Verismo brand names. While Yahoo Finance does not list Teavana - based on Mr. Burrows' title, it appears to be a related entity.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

I have gone to Starbucks specifically for Appreciation Days. However my favorite coffee is home brewed Trader Joe's Dark Sumatra Roast. I don't open carry but I haven't seen any gun buster signs either.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Read the letter closely. Starbucks is taking a neutral stance and asking the public to not make it the battlefield in a war in which it takes no side.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Starbucks is a company that wants to make money, like all companies. I'm sure if they thought it was to their advantage, they'd support whichever group buys the most of their extremely overpriced orange colored coffee.
    Gav1230, ksholder and Glock1978 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    They can't lose business from me that they never had.
    Sister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    I have gone to Starbucks specifically for Appreciation Days......
    It is these nonsense "appreciation days" that are at the root of the problem. Starbucks didn't ask for them and definitely does not benefit from them. We in the pro-2A community so very often cause our own problems.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Read the letter closely. Starbucks is taking a neutral stance and asking the public to not make it the battlefield in a war in which it takes no side.
    Directly from the letter "Schultz hopes people will honor the request not to bring in guns ..." Yes, he says he won't kick you out or post to make it illegal, but I will honor his request. He does not want my gun in his stores, fine, but my wallet travels with my gun.

Sorry OldVet, but I don't see asking us to keep our guns out of their stores as "taking a neutral stance".
    emawildcat likes this.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Directly from the letter "Schultz hopes people will honor the request not to bring in guns ..." Yes, he says he won't kick you out or post to make it illegal, but I will honor his request. He does not want my gun in his stores, fine, but my wallet travels with my gun.

Sorry OldVet, but I don't see asking us to keep our guns out of their stores as "taking a neutral stance".
    Slow down, read his post again, and try to understand it. Starbucks is not the bad guy here.
    ninjahippie likes this.

What a croc. But this part got me the most.

"There's a big difference in the connotation of someone holding a ciggarette."

You mean other than the fact that im breathing deadly second hand smoke, and in turn slowly being killed by your cancer stick. Are they inhaling lead dust from our holstered guns which are harmless in that situation? Unfortunately, no.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    Slow down, read his post again, and try to understand it. Starbucks is not the bad guy here.
    Care to elaborate? Starbucks' CEO has asked gun owners, including licensed carriers to refrain from bringing guns into his stores. Further, he makes the following statement from the article "'There's a big difference in the connotation of someone holding a gun and someone holding a cigarette,' Schultz said.'"

Starbucks CEO has made his position pretty clear, we don't want your gun here. I do not see that as a neutral position. I am open to reading your position on this, but as of now, with what I have read, it seems pretty clear to me that Starbucks has changed from "we are fine with what ever the law is" to "please keep your gun (and your gun philosophy) out of our stores".
    Jeanlouise and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Care to elaborate? Starbucks' CEO has asked gun owners, including licensed carriers to refrain from bringing guns into his stores. Further, he makes the following statement from the article "'There's a big difference in the connotation of someone holding a gun and someone holding a cigarette,' Schultz said.'"

Starbucks CEO has made his position pretty clear, we don't want your gun here. I do not see that as a neutral position. I am open to reading your position on this, but as of now, with what I have read, it seems pretty clear to me that Starbucks has changed from "we are fine with what ever the law is" to "please keep your gun (and your gun philosophy) out of our stores".
    Truly no offense intended but you are more dangerous to our long-term 2A rights than those who are openly anti-guns will ever be. These emotional, intellectually lacking rants do none of us any good and certainly give the left fodder when they claim that the gun community is nothing but a bunch of uneducated hillbillies. You can do better.

I agree with Indianasig.

The Starbucks appreciation days are the problem. If folks would quietly concealed carry into Starbucks it would not be a problem and Starbucks supports that. But when people get in your face and yell it upsets people. Thus open carry with folks causing a big "hey look at me exercising my RIGHTS" protest meeting at Starbucks it is over the top and folks are not going to like it.
    I am a Christian but that does not mean I like having a guy yelling at me while holding a bible in his hand and calling me a sinner. You will convert a lot more folks with consideration than with yelling. The Starbucks Appreciation days were akin to yelling. They were NOT helping our cause and now we have forced Starbucks to be the bad guy when in fact they are good guys.

Just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD do it.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    Truly no offense intended but you are more dangerous to our long-term 2A rights than those who are openly anti-guns will ever be. These emotional, intellectually lacking rants do none of us any good and certainly give the left fodder when they claim that the gun community is nothing but a bunch of uneducated hillbillies. You can do better.
    Haha! No offense intended...right.

I do agree with you that Starbucks just doesn't really want to be involved in this fight and is trying to be somewhat neutral by releasing a statement of their preferences rather than starting of new policy banning guns. If we seriously only frequented businesses that support our 2A rights 100% we as gun owners and carriers would have very very few places to go or things to do.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

VIP Member
    In all honesty, I don't expect any business to champion my personal beliefs.

As long as they don't infringe on how I go about my business, they can potentially have my business.

This is just a poor example, because I think they have a silly over-priced product that I've never been interested in.

While I am not a Starbucks customer to begin with, I agree that the appreciation days brought too much attention to Starbucks that they did not want. I can understand that many gun owners, including myself, were appreciative of the Starbucks policy, However, visiting their locations en masse while not only visibly carrying but also wearing shirts and signs highlighting the fact that they don't ban guns all to make a political statement about a cause in which they wish to be neutral takes away this neutrality. There is a time and place to be loud and attract attention but there is also a time and situation where acting with subtlety and finesse while in support of what we believe in is a better course of action. I think the whole Starbucks debate is one of those situations. Perhaps organising a day in which we all sent letters of appreciation to the CEO thanking him for his stance would have been a more appropriate show of support than a overly public political rally/demonstration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links