My Whole Area Grieves for This Boy:

This is a discussion on My Whole Area Grieves for This Boy: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Self-explanatory, as is the discussion that follows. But we all feel real bad for the young man and god knows his family - the youth ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: My Whole Area Grieves for This Boy:

My Whole Area Grieves for This Boy:

Self-explanatory, as is the discussion that follows. But we all feel real bad for the young man and god knows his family - the youth died just minutes from where I live - and the guy whose helmet hit his, his young and adult life will forever change.

(I'm not a Football man but I've been told by more than one that the NFL (a non-profit organization by the way) has available safer helmets, "soft"-helmets that can stop many concussions but they settled a suit by former players with head injuries for multi-millions to keep the topic out of the press. They WANT the shiny hard helmets for the "look" - injuries be damned - least that's the word I was given. With this as role model if true, any wonder that teen-agers value the same helmets, the Hard ones, and occasionally butting heads with them?)

Teen football player dies after hit - CNN.com Video

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just heartbreaking for everyone involved. If there're safer helmets available, they should be used. It only makes sense.
    detective likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

From what the Dr said apparently helmets won't be a deciding factor it appears to be the brain impacting the interior of the skull. Classic objects in motion tend to remain in motion. When something this tragic happens we do look for solutions. Often we do not find them but sometimes we do. That makes searching both worth while for society and as memorial to a promising young man. My condolences to all who suffered in this tragedy.
    detective likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I got knocked senseless in a Pop Warner football game many moons ago. Never recovered, as you can tell from some of my posts.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I saw that and it is sad,but they are doing something about it,or trying to.They just added a new rule to college football.

They penalized a player this weekend,in the Alabama -Texas A&M for just that.The refs can eject them from the game,if it's a helmet to helmet..Someone in the replay booth can overturn the ejection,but not the penalty which they did,in this case,which is dumb..If they don't feel it was on purpose and don't eject him,then there should be no penalty..It didn't appear to be on purpose.Trying to figure out,if it was on purpose can be hard sometimes with the speed of the game.They were even putting something inside their helmets to measure the impact.Whether they still are or not i don't know.

The NFL has been going after helmet to helmet hits.One player has been suspended for a game,but he is appealing.If he loses,it will cost him over 200,000.That's a lot of money.
    How it will all play out remains to be seen,but anyone who follows football,knows concussions has been a big topic.

I feel for the family.Football is dangerous.The NFL just settled a lawsuit with a lot of retired NFL players and it was for concussions mainly.They have to try and protect players,but the way they keep adding to the rules,they keep on they may as well make the NFL flag football.

I saw the Alabama-Tx A&M game.They do need to change one rule.If they over turn an ejection,upstairs pertaining to helmet to helmet,then that's saying it wasn't on purpose.That's why they were going to eject the player.If it's ruled upstairs it wasn't on purpose then there shouldn't be a penalty.I guess it's trial and error for now.
    detective likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent95 View Post
    I feel for the family.Football is dangerous.The NFL just settled a lawsuit with a lot of retired NFL players and it was for concussions mainly.They have to try and protect players,but the way they keep adding to the rules,they keep on they may as well make the NFL flag football.

I saw the Alabama-Tx A&M game.They do need to change one rule.If they over turn an ejection,upstairs pertaining to helmet to helmet,then that's saying it wasn't on purpose.That's why they were going to eject the player.If it's ruled upstairs it wasn't on purpose then there shouldn't be a penalty.I guess it's trial and error for now.
    I think this is something very true and not realized by young players or parents. They see pro-Football with world-class athletes professionally trained to their peak - and they know how to avoid injury and also avoid giving a life-threatening injury. But a young player is NOT professional, his training a modicum of a professional, and teenagers as we know can be led by the emotion of the moment, in a contact sport like Football, THAT can be a real danger.

Good for kids to know this, think the NFL, without damaging their reputation, could put out some public-service announcements, perhaps using star-players to remind youth that they can have great fun and develop skill in High School and College play but to always be heads-up for the dangers involved.

But the HS coaches, some of whom practice a "Winning is Everything" mentality - should see that it isn't and Safety is. I had a famous area coach at my HS - but it was all winning, winning, winning - though I didn't play I was glad I didn't.

Anyway, these HS coaches have the most immediate influence on athlete-youth, and I think they need to be more responsible - or some of them do.

This is terribly sad and my heart goes out to the parties involved.

Competent coaches who can keep their ego in check do teach safety, injury avoidance (for yourself and opponents) but unfortunately, not every young boy coming up has such a coach. Calling my first football coach a maniac would be a huge understatement. Luckily, my high school coach was awesome and stressed the importance of safety and good conduct on and off the field.

Far as the injuries go (on all levels--"peewee" to NFL), it's apart of the game. I never played football with or against a guy who didn't know there was a very real chance of injury. It's a contact sport. The risk is a given and if any kid or parent claimed they didn't know the sport was dangerous, I'd have to call them clueless. All we can hope for is continuing R&D for more effective safety equipment so tragedies like this and others are either greatly minimized or at best a thing of the past.
    tdave likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

A very old well known coach now deceased, had a very simplistic view on reducing head injuries in football. Remove the face mask. When you think about it, how many football players will lead with their helmet if there is nothing to protect the face ? I played in an era where there were no face masks on the helmets, the plastic helmets we used were pitiful inside with just suspension straps keeping the shell from your head. Funny part of that is there were very few head injuries, most likely because as a player you won't lead with you face unprotected.
    Before anyone corrects me. Yes the players of that era were smaller and slower, but I had many snot knocker hits, so size is relevant between the hitter and hittee.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Life is fragile if you do dangerous things occasionally the odds will catch up. Yes it is sad but it is a rough sport.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    This is so sad and unfortunate. To the OP I have been involved in youth football for several years and I have never heard of a softer helmet that is available that is safer than the helmets that are used now. Even if the NFL do not want them I firmly believe if they could be made they would be produced and made available for youth organizations from pee wee to High School and maybe even college. As far as that goes if the rumor that safer helmets are available was true then the NFL players would demand them to be made.

I do know that helmets has come a long way over the last 20 years or so but like the surgeon said on CNN that no helmet can stop all concussions.

You would be surprised just how many deaths and broken necks there are annually in juvenile football nationally, a lot more than I imagined at last check years ago. What sport is safe, baseball and 80 - 90 M.P.H. fastballs to the loose flimsy plastic head cap, inexperienced 16 - 18 year olds driving a car with out a helmet and four point restraints, rugby, track & field, boxing?

By all means, if there's a reasonable alternative that's fiscally viable and doesn't detract from performance, , it could be required.

New age math... marketing + appearance + testosterone = FOOTBALL
    marketing + appearance + estrogen = TV Commercials

Follow the money.

Edit: I hope I didn't come across as uncaring. My point actually was life is full of risk. How many things do we do on a daily basis that involves risk to life and well being? These days just walking out the door is filled with risk.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Seriously, they didn't have people dying and receiving as many traumatic brain injuries when the helmets were leather. When your head wasn't cocooned into a space age helmet people protected their head and did not lead with it when tackling. Today people think because they have a space age helmet there is no danger, but as was posted, you cannot break Newton's laws.

When I played we learned to put our face masks first, and the only thing we couldn't do was spear, which was to lower your head and lead with the top of the helmet, but the face mask WAS what we led with. That wasn't so smart...

It's a violent and dangerous game at any level. There are also few if any sports that teach the kind of teamwork and foster the kind of camaraderie that football does. The stars don't get to be stars if everyone on the team does not do their job and work together in harmony to move that pigskin down the field. There can't be any weakest links on any play or the whole thing collapses. There are other sports where this isn't untrue, but nothing that approaches it's importance in football.

Prayers sent to the family. There is nothing worse than loosing a child. Nothing.
    detective and Oldpsufan like this.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    This is so sad and unfortunate. To the OP I have been involved in youth football for several years and I have never heard of a softer helmet that is available that is safer than the helmets that are used now. Even if the NFL do not want them I firmly believe if they could be made they would be produced and made available for youth organizations from pee wee to High School and maybe even college. As far as that goes if the rumor that safer helmets are available was true then the NFL players would demand them to be made.

I do know that helmets has come a long way over the last 20 years or so but like the surgeon said on CNN that no helmet can stop all concussions.
    I think this must be what my friend told me about (I got this story from him and some others). The part about the NFL not wanting them though must be wrong or there is a different soft-helmet. The final part of this is still in development.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/07/30/g...t-concussions/

(It's a story with a video - watch the video too.)
    Last edited by detective; September 19th, 2013 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I got knocked senseless in a Pop Warner football game many moons ago. Never recovered, as you can tell from some of my posts.
    Same thing happened to me OV minus the game. I went airborne minus a vehicle and landed on my head. Had Tinnitus ever since.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links