Finally took the time to Brew again!

This is a discussion on Finally took the time to Brew again! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; At one point in time I was an avid home brewer(beer) but I just haven't had the time in the last few years to brew ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By luvmy40

Thread: Finally took the time to Brew again!

Sponsor

At one point in time I was an avid home brewer(beer) but I just haven't had the time in the last few years to brew at all. A couple months ago I came across an old boxed kit that was given to me by a well meaning friend. I'm an all grain brewer, I had put the box aside and forgot about it. I picked a Wye Yeast slant the next day and then forgot about it again till two days ago when I finally made up a starter for the two month old (refrigerated)yeast.

Well, I decide to take some me time and brewed that kit today. I'm not sure how it will turn out though. The kit had been sitting a shelf in my pantry for 2 years. Everything was sealed up tight and it was a quality "Dead Guy Ale" clone kit, but the hops pellets loose potency over time and the dry malt extract was a bit caked...We'll see how it fares in a month or so.

The lock is bubbling like crazy so at least my yeast starter was a success!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Closest I ever got to "making my own" was making Kahlua.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I use to make Kombucha tea, it is a bit like making wine since it's fermented.

United Daughters of the Confederacy member

American by birth
    Christian by choice
    Southern by the grace of God

Just waiting for it to cool down a bit more, need to keep the temp between 68 and 72 for best fermentation.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sponsor
    When I was brewing frequently I had started setting up for lagering. wired a PID controller up to an old fridge, built fermenter stands in it. I just never actually did any lager brews. Though I did have a Marzen brew turn out very nicely with an ale yeast substitution.

Maybe I'll get back at it.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

I just kegged up my IPA this past Monday, waiting for it to carbonate up. I'm an all grain brewer as well and generally make my own recipes. This IPA, which I call my Chinade O'Connor IPA, is basically 2 row, some Crystal 40, Carapils and some corn sugar to help dry it out...and about 7 ounces of hops, about half Chinook and half Cascade. One of my favorite brews...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Sponsor
    I'm a hop head when it comes to IPAs. The more the better! Which is why I haven't brewed any of my own. The $ for the hops is nuts for a recipe like a 90 minute or Ruination. I tended more towards stouts and blondes.

I did a weird recipe with 2 row, wild rice and buck wheat. I called it Buck Wild Blonde. I'll have to dig the recipe out and try it again. It wasn't what I expected but very good none the less.

The best recipe I ever turned out was supposed to be a peated Wee Heavy but I missed the final gravity by a few points so it was more a smoked English Ale. In fact I took first place in the "Other" category at the Youngstown Italian Fest Brew Off with it and it was second choice for best in show. I labeled that one "Smoke gets in your eye"(it was heavily peated).
    357and40 likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch and the moon really is a harsh mistress....

That being said... Send a 6 pack to St. Louis.... Sounds delicious!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

In the backwoods of Virginia (where I used to live), my favorite home brews were clear and were used to make "Apple Pie."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Sponsor
    I spent many an evening in deer camp on Big Sewell Mt. warmed by locally produced plum brandy. There's nothing like it available commercially.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch and the moon really is a harsh mistress....

That being said... Send a 6 pack to St. Louis.... Sounds delicious!
    Sorry, I bottled one batch then started kegging and never cleaned, sanitized or filled another bottle(except for the occasional contest entry). Too labor intensive. Not to mention the bAtf might say something about me distributing beer.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links