Irish Traveler Barn Painter Ran A Pitch Today

This is a discussion on Irish Traveler Barn Painter Ran A Pitch Today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This guy showed up and wanted to paint the metal roof on my Butler Building today. He knew my last name, and every other farmer's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Irish Traveler Barn Painter Ran A Pitch Today

VIP Member

This guy showed up and wanted to paint the metal roof on my Butler Building today. He knew my last name, and every other farmer's name within a four-mile radius. I asked him where he was from, which he promptly ducked, but I finally did manage to get a written estimate (no business name or address) which included a phone number. He would not shut up about how much he wanted my repeat business and recommendation to my neighbors and how many people around here he has done years and years of business with.

After I got home, I ran his phone number, and it turns out he is from the Murphy's Village, SC community of Irish Travelers.

Anybody else had these folks try to sell them a barn paint job or driveway sealing/paving?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Had a salesman stop by trying to sell me a paved driveway, even after his high pressure sales pitch I finally convinced him I was not interested. His truck had a business name and phone number on it and after he left I called the SO with his info. Seems the Fraud division was very interested in him and I got a visit from a Deputy to take a statement. Unless it is someone I have called I am very suspicious of someone selling work or a product.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    I ran into them in South Carolina don't turn your back on them they like to steal as well as commit fraud of all sorts.
    phreddy likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Never heard of them. But a quick search finds a few unsavory write-ups. Or, rather, write-ups about their apparently unsavory nature.

Irish Travelers @ FraudTech.org

And here's a report from the Laramie County Sheriff (in Colorado), from 2008, warning of fraud from this group: click.
    blitzburgh and Brad426 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Never heard of them. But a quick search finds a few unsavory write-ups. Or, rather, write-ups about their apparently unsavory nature.

I had never heard of them, either. It would appear they have gotten very good and very rich doing what they have been doing for generations.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I asked him where he was from, which he promptly ducked
    I would have told him to stop right there and say something along the lines of "you're obviously running an illegitimate business. If your not out of my site by the time I count to 1 I'm going to do something even more illegitimate".
    phreddy likes this.

Saw a "60Minute" exposee on them quite a few years ago. They make the gypsies look like pre-schoolers.
    CIBMike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

And here's a report from the Laramie County Sheriff (in Colorado), from 2008, warning of fraud from this group: click.
    I've never heard of them, either. Interesting article though..
    tdave likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I've heard of them. Disreputable is an understatement.

For this very reason I will never engage a "contractor" that shows up at my doorstep to solicit my business.

I also tend not to engage contractors that talk over me. I've never had a good experience with a contractor that kept cutting me off. About every 10 years I make the mistake of hiring one that does, and after the crappy results and headaches, I'm prudent for another decade.
    tdave and blitzburgh like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    If you see him again call the cops. These guys are notorious swindlers and they don't care who they swindle. They prey on the elderly but will defraud anyone who is willing to go along.

These "Travelers" are nothing more than con artists looking for easy prey. Do not even engage them in a conversation, and call the police whenever you encounter them. They are basically just bad news in human form.

I have only had a few "encounters" with what I believed to be them and I basically told them to hit the highway pronto as I was preparing to call the cops. They are thieves and will steal everything not nailed down or in a gun safe after you have hired them to do the "work" they are hawking.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A gypsy by any other name will still steal you blind.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Murphy's village is about 7 miles from where I live. You would be astounded if you saw it. They pride themselves in having the most extravagant home possible. They accomplish this feat by often having multiple families live in the same house. These structures are jaw-dropping mansions. Not all "travelers" (they don't like being called gypsies) are scammers. Some are legitimate business owners and good people. One of my best tenants was part of that community and ran a reputable business there. They are a tight-knit community, which regulates itself and generally keep to themselves. You can't recognize the men by appearance, but the women have a unique look (large hair and heavy makeup).

However, the ones that come to your door are 100% thieves. They typically go abroad because they are all too well-known to pull that stuff around here (hence, the name "travelers"). Now why they prefer that description over "gypsy" I can only wonder.
    CIBMike likes this.

Lotsa people have seen a movie depiction of an Irish Traveler before but didn't realise it.

Matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to a DwB (MSF) donation seems poetic to me.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible with this (simple) discovery. Tell the kids about this and "type III levers"! It's an untapped technology...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Murphy's village is about 7 miles from where I live. You would be astounded if you saw it. They pride themselves in having the most extravagant home possible. They accomplish this feat by often having multiple families live in the same house. These structures are jaw-dropping mansions. Not all "travelers" (they don't like being called gypsies) are scammers. Some are legitimate business owners and good people. One of my best tenants was part of that community and ran a reputable business there. They are a tight-knit community, which regulates itself and generally keep to themselves. You can't recognize the men by appearance, but the women have a unique look (large hair and heavy makeup).

However, the ones that come to your door are 100% thieves. They typically go abroad because they are all too well-known to pull that stuff around here (hence, the name "travelers"). Now why they prefer that description over "gypsy" I can only wonder.
    One source stated that in the entire Murphy's Village of about 2,500, there are only eleven last names present. Very tight knit.
    CIBMike likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links