Petition: Revoke the Tax-Exempt Status of NFL

This is a discussion on Petition: Revoke the Tax-Exempt Status of NFL within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Snip: Despite the fact that it is a $9Billion/Year industry, the National Football League (NFL) continues to enjoy status as a non-profit organization -- meaning ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Petition: Revoke the Tax-Exempt Status of NFL

Snip:

Despite the fact that it is a $9Billion/Year industry, the National Football League (NFL) continues to enjoy status as a non-profit organization -- meaning it doesn’t have to pay federal corporate taxes.

The Commissioner of the NFL, Roger Goodell, makes nearly $30 million a year -- earning more than the heads of companies like Coca-Cola and Wal-Mart. Through TV deals alone, the NFL has inked nearly $30 billion with various television networks. And so often, fans like you and me are asked to foot the bill for new stadiums through our own taxes.
    https://www.change.org/petitions/con...wCB_gDwGnBOAhA

I received an e-mail about this and figured I'd pass it on because odds are there's at least some fans (or haters) of the NFL here. I'll admit to my ignorance, I had no idea they had tax-exempt status until this morning. I just always assumed they weren't because of the quite obvious "for-profit" business it is.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Wow. It makes you wonder how many other multi-billion dollar industries are quietly hoping not to be noticed, all while our government continues to squeeze the life out of the middle class.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If the NFL went away, the only reason I'd notice is because it would free up the networks to run something better.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Snip:

I received an e-mail about this and figured I'd pass it on because odds are there's at least some fans (or haters) of the NFL here. I'll admit to my ignorance, I had no idea they had tax-exempt status until this morning. I just always assumed they weren't because of the quite obvious "for-profit" business it is.
    I'm with you and cast my vote

VIP Member
    Interesting and most of the football cathedrals are paid for by local tax dollars also.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

IMO we should leave american business alone. Let them grow the economy. If more businesses didnt have the burden of the Tax code to deal with, more americans would be working...
    atctimmy and the6shooter like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Snip:

It's disgusting. I signed your petition though no politician is going after the NFL. People would consider this grounds for execution.

The IRS seems to take this whole area, Exemption, very laxly. So too scam charities - there a lot of them. CNN followed a few, like physically with camera and mike: a family that had a bogus Veteran charity think it was: 10 million was taken in last year. 3% of that went for help to veterans, the rest to the family who were the sole officers. CNN just about handed this with a bow to the IRS for indictments but no one from any of these scams they pursued has been touched.

I wish they had such a relaxed attitude towards my taxes. "O don't worry about it, if you can pay, pay - if not we'll give you a pass. 'Scuse me, time for the Patriots, hang loose man....."

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    'Scuse me, time for the Patriots, take care..."
    The Patriots? Brady induced Flag football? Welcome to the new "NFFL" National Flag Football League.

I like good hard hitting football as good as anyone. You cant find it anymore. Tax them with interest and penalties. I'll stick with college football. The players aren't paid "as much" and have less potent steroids and drugs....

BTW.. The oil companies do pay taxes. They get more than enough tax breaks, incentives and subsidies to cover their IRS needs.
    detective likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If the NFL went away, the only reason I'd notice is because it would free up the networks to run something better.
    If I still got big network TV I'd be right with you on that OV!!
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    If I still got big network TV I'd be right with you on that OV!!
    Hmmmm.......... Maybe this is something the NSA should know about. Not very American.

Have any ties to Terrorist TV: cartoons, Mid.-Eastern Football, "Cooking with Shrapnel" etc. by any chance?.......

Distinguished Member
    Anybody know if the same for Ice Hockey? Ice Hockey is better, they get to fight on ice and use weapons (sticks/pucks)

Seriously, we got Ice Hockey down south, great game - I grew up in the 70's going to the Charlotte Checkers game every Friday night! Never have cared for football.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Never got into hockey much, but I do watch the Penguin games. I just checked Google and it seems the NHL (and PGA) are also tax-exempt.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Never got into hockey much, but I do watch the Penguin games. I just checked Google and it seems the NHL (and PGA) are also tax-exempt.
    So what's up with that? It's not like they are charity or a church. Geez this is really messed up, they make millions and we are taxed on part time jobs
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Would rather have a bunch of death row convicts in a gladiator style arena fighting it out to the death.

The winner gets a 230 grain gold medal.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Good luck with that petition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links