California Football Coaches To Be Fined For Being Good

This is a discussion on California Football Coaches To Be Fined For Being Good within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No, this didn't come from the Onion: Y! SPORTS...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: California Football Coaches To Be Fined For Being Good

VIP Member

California Football Coaches To Be Fined For Being Good

No, this didn't come from the Onion:
    Y! SPORTS
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Well... it is Kalifornia.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    More "feel good" rules.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you're gonna pull this crap just don't keep score. As far as losing kids because they get beat bad all the time, how about teaching them the value and rewards of working hard to improve.

I am against the rule...but I am also against coaches from running up scores needlessly. I have coached youth hockey at the rec level and Tier I level, from Mites, to Midgets, and High School. If we are playing a team we greatly out perform I take out players and put in the least skilled. At the higher end of the spectrum is we have all realy good players and few develepmental I turn the game into a "practice" of sorts. I try out different lines to see how well they look, I have them makes sure every person on the ice has paseed to another player at least once before shooting, I have had them take the puck out of the offensive zone so we can get a line change.
    There are a million things to do to keep the score low. Also, shorter shifts, practice cycling the puck more, got a kid that needs to work on his slapshot? Pass the puck to him. Work with screens, turn play into tipping drills.

It isn't about appeasing the other team, but when you are blowing someone out you have an oppurtunity to better your team. Playing the "regular" way does nothing to improve them against a weaker opponent.

Then again they would make a rule that you can't use a game for "practice" LOL.
    WHEC724 and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by jscottjr View Post
    If you're gonna pull this crap just don't keep score. As far as losing kids because they get beat bad all the time, how about teaching them the value and rewards of working hard to improve.
    One of the problems is (youth hockey) that kids are not stupid and they see unfairness in how the teams are picked. Parents are not dumb either. My son played on a team when he was a Mite that sucked. It was a summer league and the teams were suppose to have been even. That didn't happen, the coaches that were going to coach the "travel" team got all the kids that were going to be on his team. He wanted to keep them together. It only got a bunch of kids turned off of the sport because they were young and new and were getting blown away every game.

I do not like leagues that keep no score, but the teams need to be picked fairly also. Otherwise it teaches the wrong lessons.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    We have coaches getting in fistfights with other coaches or officials during or after games and we are going to start fining them for beating a team by too many points. As a baseball coach I have been on both sides of lopsided games and whenever I am on the winning side I always do my best not to run up the score. I will put in somebody to pitch that does not usually pitch that much to make him better for the future. I will stop having players steal, not advance on passed balls, or only have them advance one base no matter how far a ball is hit. I refuse to have a kid not try to hit the ball or not to advance to the next base when a ball is hit.

I have been on the other end of it as a coach as well and have had coaches not do those things and run up the score and in the past have not been afraid to let them know what they are doing is wrong. I think that fining coaches that coach youth sports is wrong for any offense. Probation or suspension absolutely but it is hard enough to find coaches to do this and this will make it harder.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    As we "Used to Say" back in the late 60s/early 70s. "Bunch of Communist Heathens"
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member
    When I played little league baseball back in the 70's we had a mercy rule. It worked fine. I don't see why it needs to be backed up by a fine. they must need new coaches.

When I played soccer in the 80's, we beat one high school that had just started soocer for their first year by 20 goals. We did everything we could to slow down, no starters palyed second half, defense played offense, offense played defense, moved goalie to forward and even left goal open. None of it helped. They were just that bad. We all felt bad. It was laomsot like playing kindergartners. The coach quit and the team forfeited the rest of their games. We really could have used a mercy rule.

VIP Member
    As a wee one, when I tried out for Little League, I was assigned to the "minors" where our uniforms were matching T-shirts. Gave me such a bad taste I never tried out for baseball again and waited until junior high (not that sissy "middle school") to get on the football team.

I'd much rather have been on a losing LL team than to have been a "last-picked" player. Losing only hurt until the post-game hot dogs were dished out.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Getting beat is part of the game. These are life lessons learned in the sporting world. They have taken it away from these kids. If I were a parent, I would pull my kid and put them in a different league....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Such BS... cry me a river and may you float to somewhere with sense.

As reported by Sacramento NBC affiliate KCRA, the Northern California Federation Youth Football League (NCFYFL) instituted stiff new penalties for any teams that beat opponents by 35 points or more. Specifically, those teams will be fined $200 and their coaches will be suspended from all league activities for two weeks. The penalty is a drastic change for the league of 7-13 year-olds, which previously issued teams with a warning following such blowouts and required a written description that detailed what the victorious team had done to try and keep scores low.
    Exactly. This fine and BS will affect the development of players. The "mercy rules" I'm familiar with is "okay, we're up by 35.. let's take out so and so first stringers and put in X Y and Z second/third stringers". Not this nanny crap.

With the new, harsher penalties, some players have begun insisting that their development is being hurt. One team has stopped attempting any field goals, leaving kicker James McHugh unable to attempt any scoring kicks except points after touchdowns. That's a problem for a 13-year-old who hopes to serve as a high school placekicker in fall 2014.
    Brad426 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Once when coaching soccer, I pulled my son out of a game after he'd scored six times, this after moving him from forward to fullback. To this day he'll remind me of that game. Nearly every player on my team scored that day. I felt bad for the other team's kids but all I could have done to stop it was forfeit the second half.

Distinguished Member
    Can't they just train their officials (ref and umps) to call a game that gets out of hand?

When one team is having a truly bad game, there isn't much you can do that won't add further insult.

One time when I was on the losing team in one of these situations, I remember getting mad because the game was called for the mercy rule. I didn't want mercy. I wanted a chance to score even if there was no chance we would win.
    Last edited by phreddy; September 24th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
    blitzburgh and WHEC724 like this.

My high school team lost just about every game we played. Thankfully, we never had a game called for "mercy". I would have been heated and can't think of one kid on either team who wouldn't have been.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links