Want to buy a share of Kalashnikov?

This is a discussion on Want to buy a share of Kalashnikov? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Russian government is privatizing gunmaker Kalashnikov, selling off its stake in the maker of the AK-47 rifle for about 40 million dollars. Russia sells ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Jaeger
  • 1 Post By grbr
  • 1 Post By grbr

Thread: Want to buy a share of Kalashnikov?

Senior Moderator

Want to buy a share of Kalashnikov?

The Russian government is privatizing gunmaker Kalashnikov, selling off its stake in the maker of the AK-47 rifle for about 40 million dollars.

Russia sells stake in maker of AK-47 rifle | Marketplace.org
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Interesting news... But purchasing a share in the most plagiarized firearm in the world?

I think I know why Putin is selling it.
    rigel42 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Not only that, but I doubt any poor-mouth Americans are going to be able to compete with the Russian Robber Barons. There are thousands of them that spend $40M before breakfast.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

This is like shooting "WATCH ME" flares in the night sky for every US Fed Agency in existence.

("Oh, you own part of a Russian arms company.....well good..... good. ...............What'd'dyousay your last name was again?")

Do I get free samples?

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Do I get free samples?
    Yes. Send me 40 million dollars and I'll send you a few free cheaply stamped rifles, no problem. :)
    tdave likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Cheaply stamped...maybe. Look on GB. Those pre-ban (even Chinese) AKs we were buying for $150-$200 in the early '90s and shooting (till the barrels melted off) with Norinco, steel ammo ($120/case of 1000) are selling for a grand easy, and a perfect one for over two grand!!!

I probably bought a half dozen of them, and ruined the barrels by shooting 100 rnd. drum after 100 rnd. drum (either throwing them away when they shot 10+MOA, or giving them away).

Guys at gun shows would have fifty boxes of them stacked under the tables (with the thumbhole stocks), and you'd pay $150-$200, and usually get two. They came vacuum packed in foul smelling fish oil that took hours to completely clean off, and if you didn't bore-swab the barrels before shooting it would have the odor of burned fish. We'd literally throw the thumbhole stocks away (now quite the collectors item), and put standard AK pistol grips on them. When finished with one we'd take them off and put them on the next disposable AK.

The Russian made ones were considerably more expensive, but really the Chinese copies were the same thing, and the fit and finish of the Russian ones was only slightly better for three times the price.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Cheaply stamped...maybe. Look on GB. Those pre-ban (even Chinese) AKs we were buying for $150-$200 in the early '90s and shooting (till the barrels melted off) with Norinco, steel ammo ($120/case of 1000) are selling for a grand easy, and a perfect one for over two grand!!!
    Expensively sold != expensively made :) Capitalism baby!

More seriously though, it's more to do with US regulation than capitalism though. In Canada you can still by 3 packs of SKS's for a couple hundred bucks, here they start at $400 each for cheap ones. I don't think they sell AK's in Canada (don't quote me on that though), so I don't know the prices there, would probably sell similar prices to the "old days" here though. Our government is purposefully trying to make it difficult.

AK's are still produced cheap as ever though :)
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That is one foreign investment I would not want to answer for on a security clearance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links