New Army Rules for Tattoos

This is a discussion on New Army Rules for Tattoos within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Under the new policy, new recruits will not be allowed to have tattoos that show below the elbows and knees or above the neckline, Sgt. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: New Army Rules for Tattoos

New Army Rules for Tattoos

Under the new policy, new recruits will not be allowed to have tattoos that show below the elbows and knees or above the neckline, Sgt. Maj. of the Army Chandler told troops. Current soldiers may be grandfathered in, but all soldiers will still be barred from having any tattoos that are racist, sexist or extremist.

Once the rules are implemented, soldiers will sit down with their unit leaders and “self identify” each tattoo. Soldiers will be required to pay for the removal of any tattoo that violates the policy, Chandler said.

He said the Army wants soldiers to stand out, but because of their achievements, not because of the way they look.
    I generally support this. I think society in general has gotten a bit overly tattooed. I also know that the military in general keeps an eye out for tattoos that are gang-related. I do wonder, though, how the Army will decide whether a given tattoo is "extremist."

Story here

The new rules only apply to the Army.
    gatorbait51 and Sig 210 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I thought the Armed Forces implemented this policy over a decade ago.

Anything gang related, White supremacist, Nazi related, etc would be verboten. That's not a hard call to make. The police and FBI have an extensive symbol and artwork collection of gang related material.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I'd have a lot of removal to go through... (because of below the elbow, not extremist, racist, etc.)
    gatorbait51 and Darrow75 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I thought the old policy was that none can show in your dress uniform?

I'm one of a very small number of sailors without any tattoos. Every time I came home on leave I asked my Mom if she wanted to see my tattoo. I always got the withering looks I was looking for, and it helped convince me to stay au natural. I've seen a lot of them go on, and I'd be lying if I said part of me didn't want to participate and wear the ones I'd earned, but I always had legitimate excuses why I did not want to do it. I made up for the lack of needles piercing my flesh it in the Port City of Jebel Ali in the UAE.

We were sober and got into a big, big fight with drunken, carrier sailors, and we escaped while our protagonist were arrested by shore patrol (there was a big article in "Fathom" about it the next month...no mention of us). One of the guys hit me with one of those jagged, gold nugget rings on his finger, and cut my eye pretty badly. When we returned I had to go to medical to sew up the split eyebrow. The CMAA was the deck officer, and believed our BS story. Everyone was crowded around to watch the corpsman sew me up in the medical bay, and he asked me if I wanted anesthetic...in front of everyone. Of course, I said I didn't need any stinking anesthetic, and to just sew it up. That must rank as one of the stupidest things I have ever uttered, hands down. Imagine a white hot knitting needle burning its way through your eyebrow over and over and over and over. I couldn't take it back once I'd displayed such amazingly stupid and obscene bravado. I had to just sit there and take it while my eye filled with blood and tears, and the peanut gallery hooted and hollered.

I was honestly so physically exhausted when he was finished, ten times more than after the fight, that I could barely made it back to my rack...

Ah, to be young again...
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Hey, another good reason to drop the suture kit . Think that corpsman had a bet going with someone? - can't imagine a medic actually asking that question instead of just breaking out the anesthetic. Of course I had 2 corpsmen twist and flick a syringe to try to get my blood flowing quicker
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I have always felt that tats were a potential security risk for certain MOSs . Some of these MOSs work best with blending in . An easily identifiable body marking made one a target and, by extension, everyone on the team.

Glad to see something is being done about this . It is way out of control.

Just my $.01 worth
    Wunderneun likes this.

VIP Member
    When my husband was a young sailor (not quite sober) he got two "bluebirds of happiness" tattooed on his chest. They were a huge source of embarrassment for him for decades, to the point that he wouldn't go swimming with the grandchildren.

However -- There are a lot worse things you can do while you are young and foolish.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I think it was because the ships crew thought we were all BAs, and wanted to give me a chance to prove it. I might have appreciated the question when he asked it, but my answer ranks as one of the things in my life I've regretted the fastest. When he was done it looked like Dr. Frankenstein had sewn me up with a few too many drinks, but he actually did a pretty good job, and the scar is barely visible more than 20 years later.

gatorbait51, potentially applying to one of the units with prohibitions on any service or unit identifying marks was my primary excuse the whole time I was in.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Now that soccer moms have tattoos, are they really that cool anymore?

I think that in about 10 more years you will see teen girls stop getting tatoos. As the female population with tatoos get older I think the younger girls will actually see proof that sometimes tatoos and aging do not mix. I saw a lady who most likely had a cool tatto on her cleavage....20 years ago!
    Naufragia likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

When my Dad was in the Merchant Marine during WWII he got a couple tats on both of his forearms. One was of an anchor. The other I'm blurry what it was but neither was nasty in my view. However when he came home for good he was embarrassed or ashamed of them to the point where he never owned or worn a short sleeved shirt when I was a kid growing up. Plus when it was hot outside he would never roll his sleeves up if even one of the relatives were around. He would only remove his shirt at home around us. If a neighbor happened by he was in the house in a heartbeat putting on a shirt.

I own just one store bought short sleeve shirt. It's been close to 20 years since I've worn it. In the summertime when it's hot I just cook w/the sleeves rolled up. No tats here. My artwork is on the walls.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Hey, now she has that artwork down to her navel. Twice as much coverage for the same price. A win-win situation there...unless you have to look at it.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    Hey, now she has that artwork down to her navel. Twice as much coverage for the same price. A win-win situation there...unless you have to look at it.
    Kinda like when you used to make copies of the comics with silly putty and you could stretch it and make it llok funny. Only silly putty is disposable.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I think that in about 10 more years you will see teen girls stop getting tatoos. As the female population with tatoos get older I think the younger girls will actually see proof that sometimes tatoos and aging do not mix. I saw a lady who most likely had a cool tatto on her cleavage....20 years ago!
    Point is, you looked.....
    atctimmy and blitzburgh like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links