Just an honest question...

This is a discussion on Just an honest question... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hope I don't offend anyone because that is not my intention. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed a link between "gun ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just an honest question...

Just an honest question...

I hope I don't offend anyone because that is not my intention. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed a link between "gun guys" and weight problems. Maybe it's just my local area, but I seem to know a striking number of large men who like to shoot. Any logical reason for this, or am I way off base? It seems like watching out for your health by keeping your waist size down is just as important as getting a CHL. Just an honest question!!

Shoot well.

2. Remove Ads

It because we are not thin enough to play football?

its about 50/50 here and its either there heavy or bean poles dont seem to be any in between

Plus us fat guys cant run aways ...

Quote Originally Posted by riversdaddy View Post
    I hope I don't offend anyone because that is not my intention. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed a link between "gun guys" and weight problems. Maybe it's just my local area, but I seem to know a striking number of large men who like to shoot. Any logical reason for this, or am I way off base? It seems like watching out for your health by keeping your waist size down is just as important as getting a CHL. Just an honest question!!

Shoot well.
    Dude, I was just literally telling my girlfriend about that the other day! I swear! That's so funny. I have noticed a trend. I know the majority of those at my local gun shop seem to be a little on the heavier side. Whether or not that has to do with guns I don't know. Of course over 65% of Americans are either obese or overweight, so I'm sure that guns really have nothing to do with it, at least I hope!
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Lead Moderator
    I'm in betwwen but leaning toward thin. Yes, many shooters are heavier, but maybe its cause the younger crowd doesn't shoot / hunt as much.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

At my club, I'd say it's about 50/50 as well.

at least shooting is fat free... no trans fats here.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Well I'm young 21 and I am more on the heavy side (I weigh in around 235, but that is with 20% body fat, so a lot of it is muscle weight, with a slight beer gut.) With that figure of 65% are overweight or obese, that is just going off a pure BMI, and in my thoroughly non-medical opinion, body fat % is much more important than BMI. Although a lot of young people don't tend to shoot/hunt as much, they tend to be lazy and stay inside and play video games to get their "shooting" and "sports" in.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Shooters come in all manner of shapes and sizes.

Combat Carry is a pretty good yard stick.

We seem to get members posting about even with the usual

"What Holster/Firearm? ~ I'm Too Thin To Conceal!"

and.........

"What Holster/Firearm? ~ I'm Too Heavy To Conceal!"

Me...I'm just the right size! Not too skinny & not too heavy.
    and my bed is never too hard or too soft and my porridge is always...just right...not too hot & not too cold.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It could just be that being military, I don't see the 65% of the population that is overweight as much as non-military folks. Thats why I'm asking...could just be me!
    thanks for the responses so far.

I'm 5' 10" and a lean 175 lbs and over 50 years old. Most of the guys in my tactical shooting group are in even better shape than I am. I don't think that it is a gun thing, it is probably no more that the population as a whole. At least in the area where I habitate.

VIP Member
    I'm heavier than I want to be, and not as heavy as I could be...is that a balance?

Pass the onion rings....

I've noticed this too but not to any great extent. I don't really think this has anything to do with guns but just that many Americans are hevy and get heavier when they get older. You'll see the same thing if you pay attention to many hobbies or life styles. I've notiecd this with bass fishermen too but I don't think it has anything to do with some strange attraction of bass fishing to large people. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that people who have been around a while and advanced in their careers (and waist size) can afford a 40K bass boat and come up with the time to get out and do what they love doing. I think the same thing applys to shooting. I used to be slim in my teens and early twentys. Now I'm in my early 30s and am about average for my height. When I'm in my 40s I'll probably be heavy. I've always loved guns but noticed that in the last few years I shoot a lot more and buy guns more offten. I just have more resources to pursue my love of guns and shooting.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Fat? Heavy? Overweight? I represent that remark!!!

The PC term is horizontally enhanced!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am 6 ft , 200 lbs with a 34" waist , 10 lbs and two inches waistband more than when i graduated high school . Back then i wasnt pokeing a pistol in my pants either lol . So for mid 40s i dont consider that too bad .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Horizontally enhanced huh? Thats a good one! I'll remember that when I get enhanced someday. Hopefully I'm still shooting then!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Well I'm young 21 and I am more on the heavy side (I weigh in around 235, but that is with 20% body fat, so a lot of it is muscle weight, with a slight beer gut.) With that figure of 65% are overweight or obese, that is just going off a pure BMI, and in my thoroughly non-medical opinion, body fat % is much more important than BMI. Although a lot of young people don't tend to shoot/hunt as much, they tend to be lazy and stay inside and play video games to get their "shooting" and "sports" in.
    You have to understand though that unless you lift weights or are playing heavily in sports, BMI is a very good indicator of overweight status. Being that over half of Americans do not get ANY physical activity at all, I'd say that 65% is pretty darn close. It may be skewed a few points lower, but not by much!
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links