Due process out the window?

This is a discussion on Due process out the window? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Grocer accuses Feds of seizing his bank account for no good reason in lawsuit From article; Tarik Dehko says he is proud to have managed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Due process out the window?

VIP Member

Due process out the window?

Grocer accuses Feds of seizing his bank account for no good reason in lawsuit

From article;

Tarik Dehko says he is proud to have managed the family business for 35 years, but it got tough 8 months ago when IRS agents walked in the store.

“They told me, ‘We took money from your account.’ I said, ‘How you going to just take money from my account?” said Dehko.

They emptied the businesses bank account, taking more than $36,000.

AND

Dehko says agents told him they noticed he never deposited more than $10,000 in his bank account at a time. Banks report deposits over $10,000 to the IRS. The IRS said his habits were evidence he was trying to launder money.

Dehko says he explained to them that he makes the smaller deposits for two legitimate reasons. One reason is he doesn’t make a ton of money. The other reason is that his insurance policy only covers losses below $10,000. As a result he would never send a worker to the bank with more than is insured.
    END.

When is the American public going to be protected from this kind of crap?
    This guy had no day in court.
    No charges brought upon him.
    How would you feel if your bank account was wiped out, just because?
    Jeanlouise and phreddy like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

Read 299 Days (not about this stuff but has true stories about it interspersed in the fiction). The guy who wrote it is an insider in the Washington State government. Stuff like this happens all the time... The more people they do this to, the more people hate the government

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Grocer accuses Feds of seizing his bank account for no good reason in lawsuit

From article;

Tarik Dehko says he is proud to have managed the family business for 35 years, but it got tough 8 months ago when IRS agents walked in the store......

How would you feel if your bank account was wiped out, just because?
    Due Process? Due Process has long been out my man, get with it would you. - it's 2013! not 1962 when that Watchyoucllit Process was a big thing.
    Last edited by detective; September 26th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've never deposited more than $10,000 either! Now I'm worried.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    It's not just the IRS. Other three lettered devils like the EPA also have complete authority over us to do as they wish, without any legal proceedings.

"The Institute says that civil forfeiture laws right now allow the government to seize cash during an investigation, and there is no way to quickly get a hearing to fight to get it back."

Anybody else aware of this civil forfeiture law? Things are moving much faster than even my tin-foil head ever could have imagined. This is the game-changer that I always suspected that was coming. Once they can seize your assets without due process, they have every one of us. This is a far greater crime than England ever committed against our founding fathers.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've never deposited more than $10,000 either! Now I'm worried.
    Yup. According to the IRS's logic, most of us fit the profile of a money launderer. Now they have reasonable suspicion to go after whomever happens to be on their agenda.

I used to think my grandmother was a little odd, packing mason jars full of old silver dollars and burying them all over her back yard.

The way it happened with me is that the banks froze my accounts and the funds weren't actually removed for 30 days giving me that time to contest it.

I never went through the contesting part so I don't know how difficult that is, but it appears it can be done.

I completely agree that it this case there is no just cause for freezing of his funds and that it extreme abuse of unchecked power.
    The lose of access to a businesses funds just for a day or two can be devastating. This kind of action should only be carried out with the most discretion and clear evidence of wrongdoing.

I had it coming. I have nothing but sympathy for this guy.
    "Don't make me assume my ultimate form!"

The DEA and ATF pull this crap all the time too...along with many local LEO dept. Suspected of a drug crime...perhaps a weapons crime? Guess what...your house, car, etc... can be seized. Before you've even been convicted of a crime by a judge or jury of your peers your stuff is on the auction block and gone. This is the great government we have...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    It really is unbelievable how bad things are getting. Just look at the latest IRS abuse with Lois Lerner and targeting certain groups.

The IRS is the scariest institution we have and has the most potential for abuse and the complete ruination of lives. It's been that way for years, but seems to be getting worse. Government sponsored thuggery.

I hope Congress doesn't give up on the latest scandal. Maybe it will be the beginning of turning things around with that agency.
    phreddy likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    IIRC any cash deposits or withdrawals over $5000 are required to be reported to the DEA also.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    IIRC any cash deposits or withdrawals over $5000 are required to be reported to the DEA also.
    That's the dilemma Walt White, in "Breaking Bad", has.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Master could you point me in the direction of something in writing on the 5K. Thanks Bill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Master could you point me in the direction of something in writing on the 5K. Thanks Bill
    I did a quick net search and quite a few sites came up addressing cash deposits. Here's one that is interesting:

Rules About Large Cash Deposits | eHow

If you went directly to the DEA website they may have a FAQ section or something like that that answers it more in depth.

Almost makes you want to bury your cash in a coffee can in the back yard
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    They put in the rule about reporting transactions over $10,000 and crooks just started depositing a little less then $10,000. So they had to change the requirements again. Last time I got a paycheck from a bank, we were required to report any suspicious transactions between $3,000 and $10,000. If we did not, we could be fired and/or prosecuted. It wasn't long before everyone learned that it was better to assume every transaction in that range was suspicious becuase you had to explain/justify why you didn"t flag them.

For those who doubt the slippery slope theory, this is a slippery slope.

As to those mason jars, everytime the fed changed the paper money to add new security features, we would have literal busloads of people come in to make sure their old stowed money was still good.
    Last edited by phreddy; September 26th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links