Obamacare Open Enrollment: Here's Everything You Need to Know

This is a discussion on Obamacare Open Enrollment: Here's Everything You Need to Know within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; THE ONLY REASON I POSTED THIS WAS INFORMATIONAL , NOT to argue or castigate Obama-care. So if it that happens it's not the purpose of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Obamacare Open Enrollment: Here's Everything You Need to Know

THE ONLY REASON I POSTED THIS WAS INFORMATIONAL, NOT to argue or castigate Obama-care. So if it that happens it's not the purpose of the OP in posting the Thread.

Think whatever you think about the topic of Obama-care. But since time is short, the plan is confusing and hulabaloo about it perhaps leading affected folks from knowing what to do: this is an article on CNN that gives pretty specific information. If you need that, here it is: if the thread turns into a free for all about Obama-care as a "Topic', you will be doing a disservice to those who do need information, for it will be lost in the confusion. Thanks.

Best,
    "Detective"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Obamacare open enrollment: Here's everything you need to know
    By Jen Christensen, CN

Obamacare open enrollment: What you need to know - CNN.com
    Last edited by detective; September 26th, 2013 at 04:04 PM.

VIP Member
    From what I understand, they aren't ready to go forward on Oct. 1st because the software and personnel aren't in place.
    So by the time that happens the rules will probably have changed several times.

We're covered under TRICARE right now but I'm not holding my breath as to how long that will be the case.

Thanks for posting that link, interesting information.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Some useful information, but also a lot of editorializing. Not unexpected from CNN.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    We're covered under TRICARE right now but I'm not holding my breath as to how long that will be the case.
    If your hubby hasn't enrolled with the VA healthcare, do. That also covers you from having to enroll in "O" care.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If your hubby hasn't enrolled with the VA healthcare, do. That also covers you from having to enroll in "O" care.
    Do you know if that's the case with ChampVA too?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    From what I understand, they aren't ready to go forward on Oct. 1st because the software and personnel aren't in place.
    So by the time that happens the rules will probably have changed several times.

Thanks for posting that link, interesting information.
    I don't know what TRI-CARE is. Our employee plan is a very good one thanks to God, one of the few Fee for Service plans left, which means it's not an HMO and you don't need "permission" to go to a Doctor you want to or a major clinic. I just went to one such place and will be going back again for a weird and so far undiagnosed neurological problem in my legs that causes them to shake uncontrollably under certain circumstances. No one in my area has been able to determine the cause. John Hopkins is rated #1 in the country for Neurology, so that's the place I picked. If in an HMO, there would be a lot of problems going out-of-area. They may not have let me.

I hope they get this Obamacare going in a day or two past the expected for your sake! - And many others and I hope it's a plan that works.
    Last edited by detective; September 26th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Do you know if that's the case with ChampVA too?
    Just trying to be helpful with this suggestion not butt into your business: I think you'd be better off calling one of those numbers listed in the article. Just in case some well meaning but incorrect info was given here or by friends; you could be left in a dicey position.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Some useful information, but also a lot of editorializing. Not unexpected from CNN.
    I didn't think there was editorializing, it just gave a lead in about some typical people who will be affected and positives that could accrue to them, they being now minus any health insurance - and then the info. It's trying to announce helpful info about a hopefully positive program for them and many others which we all hope it will be for their sake. I lived a long time with no health insurance. Thankfully when I was younger and healthier. No fun at all.
    Now I'd be in a panic as I couldn't pay for really needed medical service. Besides, CNN was the only place where I've seen such info in one place. For these people's sake and millions of others like them: the only thing I care about is whatever is supposed to work works. (Unlike a new car I bought once: I called it "Nightmare".)

Best

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The Governor of IL. Just released the monthly cost of ObamaCare to residents depending on age and smoking/non-smoking. Since my supplemental coverage comes from IL. naturally, I was interested. It looks as if the monthly premium will be about double my present amount. Now that's change we can believe in!
    blitzburgh and RichB70 like this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    As the OP asked that this thread not be a debate on Obamacare, I will respect that and stay silent. I think it is obvious that the devil is in the details and those are slow in coming.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    The Governor of IL. Just released the monthly cost of ObamaCare to residents depending on age and smoking/non-smoking. Since my supplemental coverage comes from IL. naturally, I was interested. It looks as if the monthly premium will be about double my present amount. Now that's change we can believe in!
    Well, I don't need the new plan so I know nothing beyond what the article said: but if you have insurance can you just stay with it. I may be wrong but I think this insurance starting soon is for people who don't have any. But ask at those information numbers on the article posted.. I don't know this stuff. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Just trying to be helpful with this suggestion not butt into your business: I think you'd be better off calling one of those numbers listed in the article. Just in case some well meaning but incorrect info was given here or by friends; you could be left in a dicey position.

good luck
    Thanks but I'd be calling either way and asking them. I was just curious if he happened to know until I could make the phone call.
    detective likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    As the OP asked that this thread not be a debate on Obamacare, I will respect that and stay silent. I think it is obvious that the devil is in the details and those are slow in coming.
    Thanks for the mention of my request. Well, hopefully it's just as you said - details at the start - and it will work. If not and it doesn't, second hopefully is that it gets dumped fast and they try something else. They need something though and the costs of medicine - LORD in Heaven - needs Something. Couple of years ago, in New York of all places, contact with a bat called for the Rabies Sequence. There's 3 or 4 times you get the anti-virus spread over two weeks and the first time also some immune booster. The first part I had in New York City - the rest near my home.
    First time: 4 shots, two each of the anti-virus and immune-booster. Cost of 4 shots? $7300 ! My insurance paid a lowered amount as part of some contract, but without insurance that's what you'd pay, $7300. Guess I would have skipped it if no insurance but if you got mauled by a dog that got away you'd have no choice: it's rabies, 100% fatal and a horrible way to die. My cousin's daughter has a rare genetic disease, very rare. There is one and only one drug to help made in Switzerland on a per-patient manufacturing basis with genetic matching per patient.
    Cost per injection (you need multiple in a life/death crisis): $50,000. That is an "Orphan Drug" though and I guess they don't have to pay-dunno how it works. But that is the cost.

Woops! Well, here I am on the edge of violating my own wish for sealed lips and no side-topics. I better shut-up and watch TV. Best.

Distinguished Member
    TY for the link. I ain't worried.

If I died I wouldn't know it after I was dead anyway. Not wishing for it, got parents to care for but they ain't scare't either. We all know where we are going when we do

BTW, O'care will not effect us (well, in some ways I reckon), but I do feel sorry for those like the young boy in his 20's today I met that said his insurance had gone to over $120 a week. That's more than a lot of people make that are now working part time.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Thanks for the link. I may actually have to buy from the exchanges. My present premium went up a hundred a month last month. It is now $200 more since the law was passed. I was also notified that the one hospital in my county was dropped from their network and my premiums will rise again next year.

Another self employed man I work with was dropped early this month by his insurer because his plan did not qualify for him to keep it. There are many in my state complaining of the increased cost of their premiums.

I have not yet seen actual plans with monthly cost and benefits offered thru the Oregon exchanges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links