Bad Times in Huntingon, WV

This is a discussion on Bad Times in Huntingon, WV within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two fold thing. First one, a shooting that left 19 people wounded and the "suspect" who has a lengthy criminal record (imagine that) is still ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 3 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 2 Post By tdave
  • 3 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 1 Post By tdave
  • 1 Post By Oldpsufan

Thread: Bad Times in Huntingon, WV

Thumbs down Bad Times in Huntingon, WV

Two fold thing. First one, a shooting that left 19 people wounded and the "suspect" who has a lengthy criminal record (imagine that) is still on the loose. Of course the wounded are not "cooperating" well with Huntington Police and I'd say they have been or are known to have been into drugs and maybe some business with the shooter.

The other sort of bad thing is that my wife is a Cub Scout/Boy Scout Leader and was doing some training sessions nearby to this area where the incident had occurred. As they were leaving the Church where the training was held, they heard gunfire. She described it as "pop" followed by "pop, pop, pop, pop, etc." They went back inside of the church.

One lady was a bit afraid and one of the guys made the comment that "what if they shoot at us." My wife simply replied, "I will shoot back." Then she informed them of her Ruger LCR and her carry permit. The guy seemed to be relieved she was armed. When they finally left and got to their vehicles, she kept the revolver near her in the car all the way home. Kind of worries me about her going to this area that is rampant with drug and thug activity.

Here is the link for the suspected shooter.

Northcott shooting suspect named in federal charge | The Herald-Dispatch
    StormRhydr, gatorbait51 and DJC7 like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Holy Cow! So glad she didn't get into the middle of that mess and didn't get hurt.

19 is a LOT of injured. Sounds as if it was a one big BG shoot out.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

First of all, I'm glad your wife wasn't injured or put into a position where she had to defend herself and or others.

Sounds like this dude was wheeling and dealing his way not only throughout the streets but also the legal system. This is the first I've ever heard of "unlawful wounding" - it sounds like a charge one would get from maybe hitting a neighbor with a ND, not attempted murder. Those revolving doors just keep'a turning.

The six victims carry between them at least 18 convictions, five for felonies and 13 for misdemeanors dating back to the mid 1990s. Their rap sheets include misdemeanors such as battery, joyriding and simple drug possession, upward to felony aggravated robbery and a federal conviction for trafficking crack cocaine.
    Well, those guys, they were choir boys. Clearly, they were innocent bystanders hit on their way to the nearby church.
    JoJoGunn, gatorbait51 and Sister like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Holy Cow! So glad she didn't get into the middle of that mess and didn't get hurt.

19 is a LOT of injured. Sounds as if it was a one big BG shoot out.
    She was not near the original shoot out, her "event" was later. The Scout people just heard what she described as gunshots someplace near the Church. She knows what gunfire is, we've fired enough of them to recognize the sound. She kept her cool and helped the other Scout people.

This area is not the best. There are good people living there but the drug problem fueled by out-of-town folks, (Detroit, MI, Columbus, OH and other places) who bring in and deal the drugs are what is wrong with the "Hood. I know a few people who live there and they have stories to tell.

She knows about this place, I have warned her in advance to just be cautious and have an awareness of what is going on around them.

Of course, packing a .357 Magnum helps too.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Glad your wife's OK.Judging from the article this was a criminal engaged in unlawful shooting other criminals apparently engaged in unlawful activity. The only appropriate response would be to restrict and harass law abiding gun owners.
    JoJoGunn and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Glad your wife's OK.Judging from the article this was a criminal engaged in unlawful shooting other criminals apparently engaged in unlawful activity. The only appropriate response would be to restrict and harass law abiding gun owners.
    Huntington leadership seldom even mentions gun bans or any of that, in fact, I don't think our current Mayor would. The only "anti gun" person we have is that moron Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) and I hope he has had enough backlash from people to not attempt anymore legislation.
    blitzburgh, tdave and gatorbait51 like this.

Sounds like a great place to live.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Maybe they are keeping them out of prison in hopes they will annihilate each other.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Sounds like a great place to live.
    It can be. I have lived here all of my life. It is the "certain" sections of town that draw the bad kind. However, it has left that area and there is really no place in Huntington that hasn't been touched by crime of some sort. I had the very first burglary last December and lost six firearms to the thief. Burglary is on the rise in my hometown, never have had this much before and I'd say a very large percentage of crime is associated with drugs.

Much of the problem is from out-of-towners who have found a big market for their product so they bring it here and there are willing people to buy it. The Police Officer who investigated my burglary said the handguns will be traded for drugs and then the drug dealers will take those guns to Detroit and be sold for 5 times what they are worth and more drugs will be brought back here.

There seems to be a bit of confusion on my post. Some think that my wife was close to the incident where 19 people were injured by gunfire, but that was a few days before the night she was at the Church with the Scouts. They heard gunfire and saw people running, one may have had a gun in his hand but it was dark and they decided to go back inside the church building for some safety. Luckily she carries her .357 magnum with her.

Links