1000s of words in the language and the best one for Star Wars III is "awful!"
When I was a young teenager, I loved the STAR WARS trilogy. I lived and breathed it.
That gradually fell away, of course. I got older, more mature, and apart from that, I started critically thinking about those movies and realized that they're pretty darned silly when you get right down to it.
But only with the "prequel" trilogy's release did I come to realize HOW DUMB the mythology of these movies really is.
I took episodes II and III from the library this weekend and watched them. (I had seen I and II already: now I was rewatching II to prepare for III.) I knew I was not expecting good things. I just wanted to have finally seen them. The only things I expected to like were the action and the scenery depictions.
The things that suck:
- the so-called "science" (ship design, technology design, physics, etc.)
- the dialog (horrible!)
- the acting (horrible!)
- the plot
There must be a thousand things I've seen during these two movies that I groaned and thought, "How friggin' stupid!" about.
- Droids that talk to each other and say, "Roger roger!" to each other.
- Wookiees who attack by swinging from vines onto droid vehicles and literally doing the "Tarzan Yell"!! :rolleyes:
- Ships and vehicles that look like they were designed by Tim Burton, in terms of utility, feasibility, practicality and complexity. Just because they're not supposed to be of earth human design, do they have to be preposterous?
- Convenient ignoring of physical realities when it suits the plot.
- Droids that exhibit cowardice, which would have had to be deliberately programmed into them!
- Droids that actually GROAN when they are damaged in battle!
- Droids that say UH OH!
- Droids that QUIP.
- Droids that are reluctant to follow orders.
- An entire Jedi council that for all this time couldn't sense the immense power of the dark side in Palpatine.
- They have security video of just about everything, but no video of Palpatine putting on his hood and talking and conspiring with evildoers during the plotting of the emperor's rise to power. (You know, video of him having his hologram conversations.)
There is SO MUCH WRONG WITH THE EXECUTION OF THESE MOVIES.
What do you think? Other criticisms? Defenses?
Please hold off on the, "It's only a movie," defense. I know it is. But I've decided to discuss it as a movie. Within the context of knowing it's "only a movie." With that out of the way, isn't it a stupid one?