Deer Down w/ Muzzleloader

This is a discussion on Deer Down w/ Muzzleloader within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (Mods feel free to move this if this is in the wrong forum.) Muzzleloading season opened her on Monday. Yesterday morning I had a 4 ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 1 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Deer Down w/ Muzzleloader

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar

Deer Down w/ Muzzleloader

(Mods feel free to move this if this is in the wrong forum.) Muzzleloading season opened her on Monday. Yesterday morning I had a 4 point buck in my sights but decided to pass due to it being in a bad position. I would have had to do a quartering away shot up a steep mountain. IME these shots usually waste a lot of meat and can be iffy. Today about the same time and location a 6 point buck showed up and presented a perfect right angle shoulder shot at about 35 yds. I shot him and he ran about 25yds and piled up DRT. Spent all morning skinning, butchering and processing him. I used my trusty CVA in-line .50 cal with a 245gr hp saboted Power Belt with (2) 50 gr Pyrodex pellets. The 245 gr Power Belt went in the right shoulder nicked the heart, went through both lungs and exited the left shoulder. The freezer is almost full now! I still have one more tag but will probably not use it.
    Updated Garage pics 128.jpgUpdated Garage pics 129.jpg
    StormRhydr and scgunlover1 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Nice deer, Bow season opens on the 15th here

I moved this to off topic
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Nice deer, congrats.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Tender vittles

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Congrats on getting your buck. It should taste really good

Well done. I'm holding out for rifle season. I have 3 tags, but will probably only fill 2 (buck tag requires at least a 7 point).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Unfortunately in our part of the state we don't have any doe tags. Needless to say there are lots of does! I would happily bag a doe if it was legal!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified

Nice deer. I thought ML season was either sex? It is in my part of NC, but I know big game is kind of crazy in WNC. I picked up an 8 ptr with my bow a couple weeks ago. Passed on a spike. Missed a coyote this morning at about 40 yrds with my bow. Tough shot. I was hoping to get in on Burke Countys ML season but looks like I might miss it again. I'll get in on Catawba's.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Congrats! Our bow season opened on the 1st but there are so little public hunting areas I haven't even got my permit yet

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I killed this one on my own property near my house. Unfortunately in Cherokee, Graham, Swain, Jackson, Macon, and Clay counties there is no Doe Season. The does need serious thinning out in my area. That would be good for meat hunters like myself. In my county more bears are killed than deer. Even with all the bear hunting they are still quite a nuisance around here.

Links