Making Jerkey, Have Questions!

This is a discussion on Making Jerkey, Have Questions! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In a follow up to Betty's thread about dehydrator's found here http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=16855 I am in the process of making some jerkey right now. I got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Jerkey, Have Questions!

Making Jerkey, Have Questions!

In a follow up to Betty's thread about dehydrator's found here http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=16855
    I am in the process of making some jerkey right now.

I got some london broil as PJ recommended and i was also at Bass Pro this weekend and picked up a couple Hi Mountian Jerkey Cure & Seasoning pack's.

In reading the instructions it doesn't mention to add water to it for marinating a day or two as was recommended in the thread to do. I am assuming that you just put the seasoning on the meat and it soaks in on it's own. Is this right or should I add the water with this set up?

Just want to clarify and see if anyone else has used this seasoning before and if so what did you do and how did it turn out?

Thank's, I have meat on the table waiting for your answer/recommendtions.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I am trying to recall Grant what my wife did last time. IIRC she just sprinkled the ''stuff'' over the wet meat and threw it in the drier.

I guess in theory a longer marinade in a small amount of water might get more flavor in but anyways - ours turned out OK - and it did not last long!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

*grin*... you are in trouble my friend.

Because if you have a drier, it means that you will have to experiment.

First off, you shouldn't have gotten expensive meat to start out with, you should have gone "cheap". Why, because you will have to experiment and come up with your own super jerky.

I would wet the meat and then sprinkle it.. with a small amount. Then I would take the mix and add water and soak a small amount in that, and then the third amount, I would experiment with something like adding water, crushed peppers, and soak.

If you like pain (and I do), then soak in Jalapano sauce and then sprinkle with jalapano seeds and red pepper.

It will bring tears of joy to your face (eat on your weekend, it will bring tears to your face in the morning while you are on the throne also).

Have fun and you will be doing many more batches of jerky cause you will be experimenting

Wayne

Thank's guy's, I am doing a small batch 2lbs to see how things turn out. I got 5lbs cut into a little more than 1/8 thickness for $16 and something on sale. I didn't think that was to bad.

I will try it a few different way's to see what turns out the best. I can't wait to taste the outcome.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Sorry to take a while to notice this thread.

What I do:

- Slice up the meat into appx. 1/4" slices, across the grain. (Cut the short way.)

- Place slices into a large Ziploc freezer bag (a heavy duty zip bag of any brand will do).

- I have abandoned the "seasoning packets" in favor of seasoning the meat myself. I liberally apply fresh ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, Lawry's seasoned salt, paprika, soy sauce, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, A1 steak sauce, Crystal hot pepper sauce. I also sometimes use some powdered cayenne pepper (be careful with that, though, it can get out of control hot).

I use quite a bit of the soy sauce and Lea & Perrins, less of the A1. The meat should be wet with the soy sauce, but not covered in it. I then take the bag to the sink and run filtered water into it until the meat is thoroughly covered, squeeze out remaining air, zip the bag, and then "massage" the bag for a minute or two on the counter (you may wish to double bag it for leak safety) to swish all the ingredients around evenly.

Into the fridge it goes for at least a day. It'll be fine even if you forget it for two or three days!

When I'm ready to dry the meat, I carefully drain the juice out into the sink (no need to keep it) and lay the strips out on the dryer racks.

Often I will do a final step before drying: I will leave the meat in the bag after draining, and I will shoot a liberal amount of Crystal hot sauce into the bag and shake the meat like the way they do fried chicken wings (they do that in a bowl, though). The meat is then coated with hot sauce, which dries nicely into a spicy coating. I LOVE it that way. It's a phenomenal twist on traditional jerky.

PM me if you have any further questions. I cannot recommend this set of techniques highly enough. If you'd heard the raves I get from coworkers... They BEG me to make more of it so they can BUY it from me. And they don't bat an eye at paying $8 for a 1/4 lb. bag!

Forget the instructions and the "flavor packets." You do not need them!

A bit more...

There is a danger if you use thin strips. If your meat starts out much less than 1/4" thick, it can end up getting somewhat hard and crispy when it dries. I have found that my jerky is NOT 100% desiccated (no jerky really is) and it is best when it has some degree of detectable moisture. Part of the preservation is from the drying, and part from the curing (which is what the salty marinade is for).

London broil is, I feel, best for jerky because it is often on sale for only $2.99 a pound (it's not a tender meat). The chewiness of London Broil is also why I prefer it for jerky: I like chewy jerky! (That is the consensus at work here too.)

I usually put the jerky up to dry when I go to sleep at night. I set an alarm for 6 hours later; I go to the racks and remove the pieces that are dry enough to be considered done. I put them on the counter on paper towel and then cover them with more paper towel. Do not put them into the fridge right away, or you will get condensation on them. Allow them to return to room temperature. After the smaller, thinner "done" pieces are taken off, I put the rest back up for another hour or two, and then do the same sort of check several times until it's all done. The last of it joins the first on the paper towel. I go back to sleep. When I get up later I then put the dried meat into bag batches.

Jerky will stay for a few days just fine if not refrigerated, but it is better to refrigerate it. Take it out an hour before you want to eat it, and let it warm to room temperature if you wish (I also eat it cool). But do not be under the false impression that dried jerky can just last and last and last. My brother let a whole bag get moldy once.

It is said that jerky ends up weighing about 1/3 what it weighed prior to drying.

I often buy two or three whole Top Round London Broils (when it's on sale for $2.99 lb.) Each usually weighs 2-3 pounds. Some is trimmed away and lost, but not a high percentage. (You don't want ANY strips of fat or gristle in the jerky. The fat will never dry, but turn into a greasy streak.) I have sometimese bought 12 lbs. of meat. For that much, I have to use two sets of dryer racks. See, I bought two dryers in order to have eight racks instead of the four that come with the machine. There are sources online for buying additional racks/screens etc.

I grind all mine,then make little patties with a hamburger press. I can control the thickness.I call them hocky pucks.They are also easeyer on older teeth. I prefure wet mixes(liquid smoke wistercheier sause ect.) than the store bought dry mixes.Although they are easyer to use. I watch the drying process to make sure that they dry just right.NO set it and forget it here.unless you like your very dry. Also FAT will rot. so no fat

Lead Moderator
    I have found , for better flavor thru out I soak the meat. but I use venison instead of beef in most of my jerky making. Home made seasonings are better once you get a recipe down, as you can make it how you like it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    I think the bottom line on jerky is the longer it soaks the better it tastes, and the dryer it is the longer it lasts.

Every year just before the start of "reenacting season" I make a really lean and dry batch. It will usually last all year, without refrigeration.

I also use it in camp cooking with other dry ingredients to make soups and stews that puts the moisture back into it. Aside from beef, deer and elk is great when you can get them.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I'm with Rocky on this one. We use deer meat. A friend of mine who's from South Africa also makes some out of beef that he calls 'biltong', he uses a wood box with a light bulb in it to dry it.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Holy moly, I know a guy -- my skydiving instructor/mentor -- who showed me his contraption for making that stuff! He described the finished meat as still rare in the middle!! (I didn't quite get it...) But he swears by how delicious it is! I think he was shown how to do it by another jumper, this guy I know by the name Lucky Mike.

Thank's for all the good info guy's!

I am going to try a few different things to see what's the best for my tastes as well at my house (the ones in it that is) some like spicy, some not so I will try several until finding that good combo.

PJ, thank's for all the help. My first time making it so I wanted to at least hear what others have been doing with there's and have a jump on the learning curve. Are there any specific amount of ingredient you use in the recipe you posted? My girl friend is out picking up some of the spices we needed for your set up. I want to try that tonight. I have about three pounds left for your's.

I just put the pieces I did yesterday in the dryer, made 27 pieces of seasoned peppered jerky for the first batch, just under 2lbs for the first run at it to see if the store bought seasoning is any good. I am pretty excited about it, I will let you know how the homemade batch you gave me turns out for the remaining 3lbs also. I will make that batch up tonight and let it sit for 24-48 hrs. So far they look just like a jerky piece should look, I also had the butcher cut 1/4" not 1/8" pieces so I should be good to go with that, about midnight I should have and idea of what I’ve got for the first go around.

Ti.

Great info here! Thanks to all! Somebody (Rocky, Sir?) want to post a venison seasoning receipe? A friend of mine also cuts the meat on the bias.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

If you're using hi-mountain, theres no need for water. use a little less of the "curing" mix than they recommend. If I mix it with the recommended amount it ends up too salty for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links