Ban Everything

Ban Everything

This is a discussion on Ban Everything within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ya know, I'm only 21, so I'm a little green, however, I though that we lived in America, Land of the free because of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ban Everything

Ban Everything

Ya know, I'm only 21, so I'm a little green, however, I though that we lived in America, Land of the free because of the Brave.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/612050323

There are two articles that both ran in the Cincinnati Enquirer today. One is about the new smoking ban that Ohioans decided to vote for. It limits smoking in pretty much every enclosed, and some unenclosed areas in the state. I don't smoke aside from an occasional cigar on holidays or special occassions. But if I wanna spend my money on two packs of red cowboy killers a day, shouldnt I be able to go to a bar that the owner allows smoking in, and smoke them. There isn't even a choice for private business owners with very few exceptions. Well, Cincinnati can kiss a lot more business goodbye to Newport and Covington Kentucky, where no ban is in effect. I appreciate not having to breath in smoke everywhere I go, but if I knew a place was smoker friendly and did not want to be in that enviroment, than I wouldn't go there.

The second one is a ban voted on in New York City that forces restuarants to remove a certain type of fat from their foods. I try to eat healthy and stay in shape, but if I want to go to a restaurant and eat a bunch of wings that have been deep fried and drenched in hot sauce as I drink my beer, shouldn't I be allowed to? Nobody makes people eat this stuff, so why should people that do and possibly enjoy it have to change their ways?

Right now I am also in the midst of typing up my final paper for my American Revolution/early Republic class, and that is partly where this rant comes from. I don't think that the founding fathers would have supported actions like this by the government. Actually I think they would laugh at the power that councils and mayor's of cities think that they hold over the people who elect them. We all know that they would think attempts to ban firearms from the public are ridiculous, but does anyone really think that they would approve of this sort of action by governments? I already have a mother, she really is a wonderful lady, I don't need to government trying to do her job for her.

I'll step down off my soapbox now.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    The effects are restrictions on free choice - some or all incorporating the all too common ''nannyism''. "We know what is best for you''

It is an insidious process - and seems unstoppable. I smoke but respect the right of non smokers to clean air. I will therefore not inflict my smoke on others where it is not permitted in certain places - ones we have become use to as no smoking, for a long time.

OTOH if I decide to frequent somewhere that does permit it I would expect non smokers to have the option to stay away - all part of free choice again. The real extremes tho are occuring where places are banning outright any smoking, even outdoors - and that IMO is way beyond freedom.

Whatever happened to self determination and the right to choose? It is going rapidly down the sewer.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Anything that gives any people that are not total wimps any sort of pleasure or enjoyment should be banned from the face of the Earth.

Start playing the piccolo in the symphony orchestra - drink only Constant Comment Chamomile Tea and bottled water - never eat meat - and grow orchids as a hobby plus only watch P.B.S. Television and you should be safe from their intrusive grasp.

I've heard of HOAs and other such organizations banning smoking IN YOUR OWN HOUSE.

I'm a smoker, and I respect other people's homes and property. I always ask if there's a designated area to go to, take something to extinguish my butts into, and ask if it's ok to smoke in other's vehicles. If it's not, I wait.

Now, I don't smoke in my house, as I step outside to save the cat (she obviously can't choose to "go somewhere else"). But if I get to the point where they decide I can't smoke on my balcony, or IN MY OWN HOUSE, there will be a tobacco revolution on my street.

This crap NEEDS to STOP.

Oh, and I love trans fat. If it doesn't have trans fat, it's not real food.

[/rant]

Administrator
    What...you think you're going to live forever?

Of Course SMOKING should be Banned in your own house!

Houses typically last longer than people...my house was built in 1910.

Why should the next owner of your house have to smell the lingering traces your stale cigarette smoke?

That's just not fair to the next person that buys your house.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Once again, this is America, the land (supposedly) of choices and free will. Upon inspecting the house before purchasing (as every homeowner should do), if they don't like the smell, or don't believe they can remedy it, they DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE HOUSE!

Of course, if you were being sarcastic...

I recently (within the last two years) quit smoking. When I did, I went out into my garage. I didn't smoke in my wifes car, but did in my truck. At work my boss and one of my co-workers smokes, so we allow smoking (one of the last bastions of a free society I guess). I am not one to tell you not to smoke, and would even be aggrivated if legislation came down requiring me to dis-allow it in my shop.

The one thing that chaps my hide is the callousness of some smokers by thier flagrant disregard for decency. Pick up your damn butts!!!

I also have a problem with non-smokers who will sit in the smoking section, or right on the border of smoking/non-smoking, coughing and waving their hands around to "clear" the air around them and them look at me like I am a leper. I have blown smoke their way intentionally. Yeah I was a smoking ass, now I am just an ass.

One of the companies I work for last summer instituted a company wide no smoking policy after a cigarette butt found its way into a pile of sawdust in the shop, and well, the results were somewhat clouded to say the least. My younger brother is always one to complain when we sit near a smoking section, I prefer to get first available and not wait as long.

If a company or restaurant wants to ban something, smoking or trans fat, I am all for that, it is their business, they can run it as they see fit. I have a problem with legislation not giving them the right to make a choice about how to conduct business on their own property.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I am a non smoker.

That being said... I do respect the rights of smokers. Hey Smoke em if you got em... Just stay away from me.

I have tried unsuccessfully to be a part time smoker. I love cigars, but can't stand the smoke... physically. My head closes up and I end up with headache a a few days later I have a full blown sinus infection.

Hey, call me a wus if you want, but thats the way it is. Turns out that the problem is more common than you think. My mother has the same issue... except she doesn't like cigars.

You have the right to smoke and I have the right to not be bothered by your smoke.

I live in Kentucky and we passed a law recently to ban smoking in all buildings. Now as a smoker I like the law, but I would imagine that smokers do not.

The real problem resides in the fact that smoking here has been banned everywhere except Churchill Downs (our horse racing track). HMMM I wonder why that is?

Is this unconstitutional? Hell yes! If the law bans smoning everywhere then that means everywhere.

A lot of smokers are considerate... many more are not. Smokers at my company go outside to smoke... great! The problem is that they congregate by the doorways. You have to pass through a cloud of smoke to get into the building.

In restaurants, why are the smoking and non smoking sections separated by only a little glass wall? Is this a magic glass wall? How does this little wall work so well? It's not the clients fault for sitting on the border of the two sections. It is establishments fault for not defining a clearer boarder that actually separates the two sections.

As a smoker... would you want your kids to smoke? No, then why do my kids have to breath your smoke?

Bottom line is that smoking is bad... we all know that. It is not popular right now and probably won't ever be again. In my mind that is a good thing.

You have every right to smoke, just say away from me and mine.

Just my opinion.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    It's not the clients fault for sitting on the border of the two sections. It is establishments fault for not defining a clearer boarder that actually separates the two sections.
    It may not be your fault that they seated you there, but it is your fault for not requesting better seating. I quit for my kids, not because of them. If we go to a restaurant and they seat us next to the smoking section, I will and have asked for another seat further away from the smoking section.

No, I really don't want my kids to grow up and start smoking. It is bad for your health, but it would be their choice once they leave my home. There just will not be any smoking in my home.

I grew up in a home that my father smoked. This is how I started. I swipped his cigs to smoke. Eventually it got to be that I was buying a pack here and there. In the '90's I was smoking 2-3 packs a day. Heck, I could take a shower and wash my hair without getting my cigarette wet.

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    It may not be your fault that they seated you there, but it is your fault for not requesting better seating. I quit for my kids, not because of them. If we go to a restaurant and they seat us next to the smoking section, I will and have asked for another seat further away from the smoking section.
    You are assuming that there are seats to be had. If the restaurant is on a wait (like most Fri and Sat nights when me and the Mrs get out) you may have to wait another 10 or 15 mins for a "good" table.

Anyway, why should I have to wait for a good table? Why don't you wait for a table further away from the "border". Your reasoning states that I should should have to go to extra lengths just because you want to pollute the air. Why should I have to?

What if you were eating and I had a bullhorn blowing the whole time or I was burning leaves at my table. Would you be willing to wait longer or be inconvenienced at all just because I wanted to do my thing? I think not.

Everyone deserves to be comfortable in their personal space especially during dinner when you are supposed to be relaxing anyway.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I'm sure there are other smokers who agree with me on this, but I have no problem with going the hour or so it takes to eat a meal in an establishment without smoking. That being said...

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Anyway, why should I have to wait for a good table? Why don't you wait for a table further away from the "border". Your reasoning states that I should should have to go to extra lengths just because you want to pollute the air. Why should I have to?
    You don't. You can go to another restaurant. You're trying desperately to place blame on the patron, when it's in fact the dining establishment's policies you have issue with. If you don't want to possibly sit next to a smoker while dining, either go to a restaurant that has a no-smoking policy (i.e. vote with your dollars), or stay at home (avoid the issue). Hell, start a letter-writing campaign to the corporate headquarters of the restaurant in question and get them to change their policy! So whatever you do, don't blame the smokers. WE did not make up your mind to go out to eat that night, nor did we sit you next to us.

Or better yet, let's just ban the sun because it's too bright and causes melanoma.
    Last edited by Nate; December 6th, 2006 at 10:54 AM.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Start playing the piccolo in the symphony orchestra - drink only Constant Comment Chamomile Tea and bottled water - never eat meat - and grow orchids as a hobby plus only watch P.B.S. Television and you should be safe from their intrusive grasp.
    Hey I like PBS it is the best of the 3 stations that we get!!!!!

I'm a smoker, I am also highly allegic to perfumes.

So, it should be law that you can't wear perfume (or colones) in public places because of people like me... right?

I mean, it is a serious health issue for me.

So, what do I do? Do I go to the state legislature to get a law passed to force MY WILL on others, it is a serious health issue, to me and there are others like myself out there that have the same problem.

Nope, don't do that, just don't go into places where people are bathed in scents. And if I do go then I ask the nice person seating me to "sniff" the area to see if they are overpowered by the smell of perfumes. They are highly respectful of my requests and haven't done me wrong since.

What is ironic, when smoking was allowed, I would sit in that area due to the HIGH VOLUME FANS that they used to suck out the air also sucked out the perfume fumes... funny how that worked. Now since smoking isn't allowed, they turned off those fans so the air is actually much more polluted (didn't think about that, did you?).

So, I think that this year I will get with my legislature to outlaw the wearing of perfumes in the state of Oregon. Then we will expand it to add peanuts (any type of nuts) and anything else that may affect anothers health.

We've gone from the land of the free to the land of the nannystate. Lets face it, life is dangerous to ones health, maybe they should just ban that and all the ills of the world would disappear!

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm a smoker, I am also highly allegic to perfumes.

So, it should be law that you can't wear perfume (or colones) in public places because of people like me... right?

I mean, it is a serious health issue for me.

So, I think that this year I will get with my legislature to outlaw the wearing of perfumes in the state of Oregon. Then we will expand it to add peanuts (any type of nuts) and anything else that may affect anothers health.

We've gone from the land of the free to the land of the nannystate. Lets face it, life is dangerous to ones health, maybe they should just ban that and all the ills of the world would disappear!

Wayne
    Hey Wayne,

I understand that you have an aversion to strong scents... I can relate. I also to stay out of areas with high levels of smells.

Specifically, "Bath and Body Works" or the like comes to mind. My wife loves the store and I can't set foot in there. So I go to the cookie hut for a warm chocolate cookie While she shops. Funny that cookie smells do not bother me.

Like I said I understand. However... scents have not been found to cause cancer. It is well known that cigarette smoke... even second hand smoke is carcinogenic and not only kills and shortens lives, it also causes many other heath risks. These findings pertain to the masses... all of humanity. Scents do not.

"Cigarette smoking is the single most preventable cause of premature death in the United States. Each year, more than 400,000 Americans die from cigarette smoking. In fact, one in every five deaths in the United States is smoking related. Every year, smoking kills more than 276,000 men and 142,000 women".

If you consider the # of persons killed by perfume then the # is zero. (unless they drank it. ) Now you could consider that may people have severe Asthma that can react to perfumes.

OK, so according to a June 9, 2006 study by the Cornell and Stanford researchers. In 2006 there were about 5000 deaths in America related to Asthma .

Even if all the deaths were perfume related it still does not even come close to the 400,000 deaths that smoking causes.

By the way, "4,000 out of the 5,000 asthma deaths that
    occur in the U.S. each year are actually caused by these long-acting
    beta-agonists." That puts the # down to a 1000 or so. Don't ask read the article.

We still haven't talked about the other illnesses that are caused from Cigarette smoke. I'm not going there.

I'll tell you what... the day scents and strong colones and perfumes start killing 400,000 people a year I will jump on the band waggon with you and we will pass a law to ban overpowering sents.

I ask again. Why do I have to go out of my way not to be poisoned by you?

If I was releasing a gas in public that was shown to have the same harmful effects as Cigarette smoke there would be a public outrage and i'm sure I would be hanged or sued to death.

What is the difference?

I'm sure that this debate could go on forever and probably will. It has gone on for many years. We may have to agree to disagree.

Some cities are giving the power to the people and the people are deciding that they don't want or need Cigarette smoke.

I for one applaud the effort.

Nuff said on my part. I have typed too much and my fingers are tired.

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links