Controversial bar sign

Controversial bar sign

This is a discussion on Controversial bar sign within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/612060364 So, some of you live in places where Spanish speaking people have been around for a long time, and two languages is common. Ohio ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Controversial bar sign

Controversial bar sign

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/612060364

So, some of you live in places where Spanish speaking people have been around for a long time, and two languages is common. Ohio is really starting to see the effects of Central American immigration for the first time, and having some trouble adapting. Here was one bar owners solution.
    Last edited by buckeye .45; December 6th, 2006 at 05:09 PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Definitly controversial.

I will just say that I understand.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    I am a native spanish speaker and refuse to address anybody in Spanish as default. I'll deviate from the rule if I am addressing the elderly or if the other person tries to speak English but has little knowledge and needs to make his/her point across.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'm not offended.

perhaps that is because I speak English.

I have a working language (meaning i can understand what someone says to me and they can understand what I say, and I can read) two foreign languages, German and Spanish. I actually get to use my Spanish more because I love real Mexican food, and the places to get that around here are small family owned restaurants (Don Pablos can't compare), and I tend to order and all in Spanish when I am in those places. The language barrier is becoming a bigger problem in the Midwest though. And I can see where the bar owner's frustration could come from. That area of Cincinnati has seen a pretty heavy influx of Hispanics lately. I also think that it is odd that changing the words makes it no longer discriminatory.

(Most people in Ohio, especially this time of year, wouldn't mind a little global warming either.)
    Last edited by buckeye .45; December 6th, 2006 at 07:11 PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    Working for public health I have learned to speak (real) bad Spainish, and understand spainish that is spoken slowly to me. I have also learned that everyone speaks louder and slower when someone does not speak the same language

That brings up a point pgrass, aside from business owners having to deal with this from customers, I wonder how many of Ohio's public servants can effectively communicate in Spanish? I don't know, this is all kinda new to Ohio on the scale it is right now.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    buckeye, the majority of Alabama's Spainish speaking population is in the rural areas, farm and timber workers mostly. I know that alot of the rural police and sheriff departments canot afford to train their personel in languages, and that sevearl have enlisted local high school teachers to give instruction to their officers.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    That brings up a point pgrass, aside from business owners having to deal with this from customers, I wonder how many of Ohio's public servants can effectively communicate in Spanish? I don't know, this is all kinda new to Ohio on the scale it is right now.
    We are lucky enough to ha a few spanish speakers on the dept., but if we are not around, they have a hell of a time.

A interesting side note, almost always they say "no speak English" to try and avoid arrest. When I reply back in Spanish, I almost always get a stunned look, then a "no speak Spanish"

The more I deal with illegals, the more I won't speak Spanish to comfort them. I am most comfortable speaking English, our language here in the states. Why should I cater to them, especially after they broke our laws here.

My first wife was Spanish, and my son was born in Spain. I speak Spanish and we always spoke Spanish at home as well as English. When my son started school, I came home from work one day and started to talk to him in Spanish, He said "Talk to me in English, we are in America now".

The only time he and I talk in Spanish is if we are around other people and we don't want them to listen in on our conversation.

I feel that If people want to live here they can learn our National language.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I travel every year to Mexico or the Dominican. I am very fond of both countries.

I wish I could just lay my head on a pillow of "how to speak spanish" books (or any other language for that matter) and learn while sleeping.

While on vacation I try to speak as much spanish as possible and I do quite well. However I do not have any opportunities to use it in everyday life.

I guess if I wanted to learn badly enough I would.

No excuses.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I speek American,English sounds forein to me. ehhh you bloody yanks?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A interesting side note, almost always they say "no speak English" to try and avoid arrest. When I reply back in Spanish, I almost always get a stunned look, then a "no speak Spanish"

Hahahahaah, now THAT'S funny.

Even during my trips overseas, I took the time to try and learn a bit of the local languages (mainly so I could order dinner and haggle, etc.), but if I was going to LIVE there? You can bet I'd be reading as many books and learning the language as fast as I could.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Now we need one posted every 50 feet along our borders.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links