Would you purchase a gun with known bad history?

This is a discussion on Would you purchase a gun with known bad history? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is born direct from gun shop conversation; would you purchase a gun (legally of course) if you knew it had a bad history, like ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Would you purchase a gun with known bad history?

Administrator

This is born direct from gun shop conversation; would you purchase a gun (legally of course) if you knew it had a bad history, like it was used in a murder or suicide? If so, would you consider that fact when negotiating price?

I start and say no, I wouldn't. Having a gun that killed bad guys doesn't bother me at all though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Depends. Might be pretty cool to own a piece of history that was used to kill Kennedy, MLK, etc...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Heck ya I would! I collect firearms. It would cool (not that someone was killed) to have something like that as a talking piece. I told my wife I wish we could find a house to buy where there was a terrible murder in one of the rooms. I would make it the guest room and have memorabilia of the murder. Have a book with crime scene photos on the dresser, binder with the police reports and whatever.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Heck ya I would! I collect firearms. It would cool (not that someone was killed) to have something like that as a talking piece. I told my wife I wish we could find a house to buy where there was a terrible murder in one of the rooms. I would make it the guest room and have memorabilia of the murder. Have a book with crime scene photos on the dresser, binder with the police reports and whatever.
    Dude...is your Shrink taking New Patients?
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

No. Which brings up a related point, and Id like everyones input...

There is an upcoming law enforcement & drug task force gun auction. A pretty big one, for a rural area.

Would you hesitate to buy those guns? I know enough to know that none of them were from a murder scene. They would be in evidence, if so.

However, if they were all from criminals, it seems not unreasonable to suspect that they might have been used in prior crimes that those criminals were never charged for.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

i don't equate the tool used in a crime with the person who committed the crime. if i were interested in the gun itself, and the price was right - sure!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    No. Which brings up a related point, and Id like everyones input...

There is an upcoming law enforcement & drug task force gun auction. A pretty big one, for a rural area.

Would you hesitate to buy those guns? I know enough to know that none of them were from a murder scene. They would be in evidence, if so.

However, if they were all from criminals, it seems not unreasonable to suspect that they might have been used in prior crimes that those criminals were never charged for.
    That wouldn't bother me- but most of those guns will
    Be junk- either they started life as junk, or they've been abused to the point of being junk. I wouldn't waste my time going to it
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This is born direct from gun shop conversation; would you purchase a gun (legally of course) if you knew it had a bad history, like it was used in a murder or suicide? If so, would you consider that fact when negotiating price?

I start and say no, I wouldn't. Having a gun that killed bad guys doesn't bother me at all though.
    Nope. Bad juju.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    I would go for something from Bonnie & Clyde or similar but not one from just a regular murder/suicide. So for me I would say yes if it were a real collector piece but not otherwise.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I probably wouldn't... Unless it were used in a famous, or infamous crime...

And then it would never be used, of course.

But to buy firearms used in generic crimes by generic criminals... With the intent to actually use those firearms; say to carry, or use as a HD gun... If you ever did have to use such a weapon in self defense, and for some reason it matched ballistics with a projectile used in an unsolved nearby crime...

Could be interesting, I suppose.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    If it is a gun I want and it's in good shape, priced appropriately, I frankly wouldn't care how the gun was used. I would probably buy it. Guns don't make decisions, people do.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

Nope, I don't want the ghost of whoever the gun kilt haunting me.

Seriously though, I honestly don't think I would.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Remember this one?
    SIXTO and gatorbait51 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Yes, I would buy it, and I would use the history as a haggling point to buy it cheaper, since it might be hard for the seller to find another buyer who is willing to purchase an item with such a history. He's got an opportunity to finally get it off his hands and he shouldn't waste it.

While I do believe objects can be rather forbidding because of their history, I believe the history can be overcome, like having it make things right, even though it wasn't its fault. A gun used in a murder, for instance, can be "cleansed" by using it for self-defense. Sounds weird, but I don't know how else to word it at this hour on my iPhone.

Reminds me of my paternal grandpa's teeth. When grandpa died, grandma did the weird thing of having all his gold teeth turned into a nugget pendant. Some called it morbid, especially since it was a rough nugget pendant and you could still see one of the teeth in it. Grandma wore it all the time until she died. When everything was parted out in the will, nobody wanted that pendant except for my mom. She wears it.

It's just a matter of perception and your spiritual beliefs.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

It depends entirely on the "bad history" Are we talking about a previously stolen gun? A murder weapon? A pistol with an SD notch? A police gun? A dirty cop's gun?

Its all about the details and I want nothing to do with a gun that will bring trouble on me or mine.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links