Another mall shooting

This is a discussion on Another mall shooting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is becoming far too common. Shooting reported at Garden State Plaza mall | NJ.com...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 7 Post By Hatrix
  • 2 Post By brocktice
  • 4 Post By Sister
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise

Thread: Another mall shooting

VIP Member

Another mall shooting

"The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

No way, everyone knows most malls are gun free zones, and with the strict laws in NJ it's impossible that this could happen!
    Sister, pittypat21, 84160 and 4 others like this.

Watching CNN right now. I hope there are no injuries.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    This is becoming far too common.
    Expect more, it's holiday season.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    No way, everyone knows most malls are gun free zones, and with the strict laws in NJ it's impossible that this could happen!
    Not sure where you get the idea "most" malls are gun free zones. They are not that way here in Colorado.

No dispute that it's "news" and it's "ugly", but there is no armed self-defense dimension to this story - moving it to Off Topic.

In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

In the news encounters between the bad guys and legally armed good guys, with both successful, and not so successful, outcomes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I'm starting to think it's time to ask news organizations to voluntarily reduce or delay what they write about this kind of stuff. It seems now anybody with a death wish thinks it'd be a great idea to go out in a blaze of glory, taking a bunch of other people with them and making national news.
    Sister and 84160 like this.

Yep it's definitely getting out of hand. I just left a mall a couple of hours ago and this can happen anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I'm starting to think it's time to ask news organizations to voluntarily reduce or delay what they write about this kind of stuff. It seems now anybody with a death wish thinks it'd be a great idea to go out in a blaze of glory, taking a bunch of other people with them and making national news.
    Probably before your time, but there was a TV movie from the 60's - "Doomsday Flight" - about a commercial airliner with an altitude-sensitive bomb on board. After a few re-runs, eveery time it was shown there would be a number of bomb threats called in to airlines, claiming to have similar bombs on airplanes. Not sure if it was government or other pressure on network TV, but they finally stopped showing that movie, and the copycat bomb scares ceased.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    This and the gunmen (that didn't shoot from what I understand) in Conn. today. Can't these people see that this is happing in the states with the strictest gun laws. Even CA at LAX just 2 days ago, again, another "gun free" state. Yup, BG's are drawn to areas that the states make safe for them to shoot people and not get shot back.

I can guarantee that if a gunman pulled a gun at a large shopping place here in SC that they would be dead within minutes. I use to work at Lowes home and garden and knew quite a few regular shoppers that were packing. Even knew the employees that packed (shhhh) but I never told, just knew I was safer with them there.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Here we go again, ammo is going up or you won't find any on the shelves

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    No dispute that it's "news" and it's "ugly", but there is no armed self-defense dimension to this story - moving it to Off Topic.

In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

In the news encounters between the bad guys and legally armed good guys, with both successful, and not so successful, outcomes.
    I picked the original forum because when I watched CNN I saw about 10,000,000 legally armed good guys trying to find the guy. Seems that the expected (at least to me) outcome didn't come to pass though. So moving it is probably a decent enough decision.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Thankfully no one was injured or killed this time, except the gunman.

I think Brock is right, this might be a bad holiday season for mall violence, especially after that horrible seige in Nairobi a couple of months ago. What better place for a captive audience?
    84160 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

No one injured or killed except for bad guy? Sounds like a good day with a little excitement thrown in, to me.

Frightening for everybody, no doubt. But much less frightening knowing that no one was hurt.

I don't let fear drive any of my decisions. I still go to the mall with my wife and girls when we need something. I just keep my eyes peeled and I keep myself ready for anything.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I use to work at Lowes home and garden and knew quite a few regular shoppers that were packing.
    I work at Home Depot (initially lawn & garden, now electrical) and we have several regulars who open carry and more that conceal carry. About 10-15% of the staff carry (that I know of), though not on the clock.

Sad to see these events continue, but Sister has it exactly right, the vast majority of them take place in "gun-free zones" and/or gun-restricting states because these psychopaths understand that anywhere else will result in a much quicker death.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Links