First deer taken with a bow!

This is a discussion on First deer taken with a bow! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Edit: Internet cowboys find it more interesting to take a crap on somoene's thread than anything else. If you hunt, and like the way that ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: First deer taken with a bow!

First deer taken with a bow!

Edit: Internet cowboys find it more interesting to take a crap on somoene's thread than anything else. If you hunt, and like the way that you hunt, good for you. But don't put down others and the way they hunt. We have enough idiots against all hunting. Hunters don't need to be putting others down for the way that each decides to hunt. It's all about sharing the enjoyment of hunting with others.

Warning!!!! If you don't like deer hunting or the way it was taken, keep your pie hole shut.

Got an invite to go hunt a place with an old neighbor of mine. Met up and got settled in a stand. I had the green light to shoot some does and that's what I was hoping to step out. I was told that they had some good bucks at this spot, but all the camera shots had been at night recently. So I was not expecting anything with horns to come out.

Well early, I have two does come in. They stay behind some trees and never really give me a shot. I wanted to wait a little bit to see if anything came in behind them anyway. The does disappear and I see the body of a deer about 50 yards in front of me. It steps out from behind a tree and I see pretty good horns. My heart starts beating out of my chest and I am shaking like a leaf at this point. I could make out 8 points after studying him more. But he never would present a shot. Stayed behind trees and shrubs.

He finally steps out at 25 yards perfect broad side etc... I whiff right over his back. Not sure what happened. My heart sinks as I see him trot off. But wait, he stopped!!!! He's turning around. Holy crap, he's coming back in slowly. He starts to walk out from behind a feeder. I draw back again and he stops right behind the feeder with no shot. I am at full draw for what seems like an eternity. He finally takes two steps forward and I let an arrow fly and I hear a good Schwack!!!!!

He takes off and I try to keep an eye on him. I see what looks like him going down and I hear the death kick and I am jumping up and down in a lock on stand 33 feet in the air. I calm myself down and sit for about 40 minutes longer.

Finally climb down and I find no arrow and no blood. My heart sinks again. Wait for my buddy to show up and I climb back up in the stand to guide him to where I last saw him. He yells that he found him and I climb down and get my hands on the horns. Ran only 50 yards. Got lungs and heart. Couldn't have made a better shot. But the arrow was still in him poking out behind the front shoulder. Went in high and right in front of the front shoulder and came out low and behind other front shoulder. He was quartered at me a little.

This is my first bow kill ever. I am pretty stoked to say the least.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by TelumPisces; November 6th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.

2. Remove Ads

You dog! Thats one sweet rack!

Good on yah. I have taken lots of deer. With shotgun, various muzzleloaders, and modern rifle. Zip with a bow, yet.

Christopher67 likes this.

Looks delicious!!

Very nice! That looks bigger than most I see in Minnesota.

Distinguished Member
    how sad.

Using a feeder? How is that hunting?

I could easily shoot the cat I've been feeding since he comes to eat at the food I put out. Never believed that using a feeder was truly hunting but a set up for those that don't know how to track.

I don't disparage people that hunt to eat, but again...a feeder?

Lame.

yes, I know I'm stepping on a lot of toes but y'all man up if your are going to hunt
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmjoy View Post
    Looks delicious!!
    Summer sausage, burger, cubed steak, italian sausage etc... Will be picking it up this week. In my family, we don't eat any beef. It's all venison.

I've shot my fair share of deer with a rifle. This was my first with a bow. And I can honestly say, that the rush with a bow is like non other. Having the animal so close and trying to be as stealthy as possible at bow range is a challenge to say the least.
    357and40 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    how sad.

Using a feeder? How is that hunting?

I could easily shoot the cat I've been feeding since he comes to eat at the food I put out. Never believed that using a feeder was truly hunting but a set up for those that don't know how to track.

I don't disparage people that hunt to eat, but again...a feeder?

Lame.

yes, I know I'm stepping on a lot of toes but y'all man up and if your are going to hunt
    Good grief! Some people can't see past their own nose on how things are done different in different parts of the country or even in their own backyard. How about you man up and shut your pie hole and realize that people across the country hunt differently than you do. And yes it's hunting. I hunt public land as well where we can't bait. I shoot deer both ways. Get over yourself and off your high horse. Hunters are so critical of other hunters and how it's done etc... How about you stick together with your fellow hunters. Otherwise, before you know it, the sport as a whole will be gone.

I see you are in SC. I lived in Charleston for a few years. There are more dog hunters in SC than any other state. I do not like dog hunting. But guess what, I don't discourage them from doing what they do though. I will not dog hunt. I think shooting a deer that's running in front of dogs is about as non-sportsman as they come. But I was not raised to hunt that way either. I've heard that it's a fun way to hunt with friends. And that's truly what it's about.

And about hunting to eat. In my family, we eat no beef. Only venison in our house.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TelumPisces View Post
    And about hunting to eat. In my family, we eat no beef. Only venison in our house.
    That's a good thing, probably much healthier than beef since it's wild and will not be fed the antibiotics and other drugs to plump them

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Scents, salt, feeders... A ticket to a petting zoo would be cheaper. Never once have I used a "lure" beyond acorns that were already there.
    Sister and welder516 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Scents, salt, feeders... A ticket to a petting zoo would be cheaper. Never once have I used a "lure" beyond acorns that were already there.
    And good for you. For crying out loud. Forget I ever posted this dang thing.

Congrats on your first deer! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Enjoy!

Wait you used a bow? That is cheating you have to kill it with a sharp stick like the neanderthals! That poor animal, how dare you... <sarcasm off>

Good grief people
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    That's a good thing, probably much healthier than beef since it's wild and will not be fed the antibiotics and other drugs to plump them up.

Sincerely,
    Also keep in mind: This deer lived a free and happy life, and finally, killed naturally by a predator.

Cows and chickens and the like that are raised to be sold in grocery stores generally are kept in horrid conditions.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Also keep in mind: This deer lived a free and happy life, and finally, killed naturally by a predator.

Cows and chickens and the like that are raised to be sold in grocery stores generally are kept in horrid conditions.

You are correct, and veal is even worse how they are treated.

Good thing they can't get a hold of fish in the ocean, season has started and I do love some fresh Spots, Sea Trout and Blues!
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Telum,

Growing up, I saw a number of different ways that people hunt. Going into the woods and tracking, using a feeder on private party on a farm, trapping small game, using dogs for foul, etc.

Hunting is hunting is hunting. Killing a deer is killing a deer. As long as it's done legally, it ain't no thing. Who cares if you lured it? Who cares if you used a feeder?

Whatever you gotta do to take down your deer. Animals are inferior to humans, and there's nothing sad about killing them to feed your family. As long as the animal doesn't suffer, there's no problem.

You oughta put the pic back up. I'd love to see your kill.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

You are correct, and veal is even worse how they are treated.

Good thing they can't get a hold of fish in the ocean, season has started and I do love some fresh Spots, Sea Trout and Blues!
    You don't bait your fish, do you? I mean…you don't lure them or anything, right? Worm on the hook? Promising a meal? Cause that'd just be awful.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links