Shut up and Shoot!

This is a discussion on Shut up and Shoot! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; At my LGS indoor range today working my EDC rotation (3). I was going through my draw & fire drills (right-hand, left-hand, opposite hand draws), ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Shut up and Shoot!

Shut up and Shoot!

At my LGS indoor range today working my EDC rotation (3). I was going through my draw & fire drills (right-hand, left-hand, opposite hand draws), then mag changes (left, right, & one-handed each hand). Then I worked Bad-Breath snap shots with follow ups. Usually, I go through 200+ rounds running these drills.

As I was nearing the end, a guy (50ish) goes into the firing station next to me & shoots 18 rounds through a SP101 (his target looked like he'd used a shotgun). As I was policing my brass, he felt it necessary to inform me that I was wasting too much money on ammunition, unless I was reloading, but that was a lot of money too, how could I afford to do that much shooting, and he keeps his skills sharp by shooting (as he just had) every month-or-so.....

I'm an amiable guy by nature and am always willing to talk guns, ammo, tactics, and even the weather when I'm at a range. But this guy just plain got on my last nerve. So, I just told him: "Because I can." Then packed up and left.

*Sorry Mods, I put this in the wrong place & don't know how to fix it*
    Last edited by DaGunny; November 6th, 2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Posted in the wrong place
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they canít get it wrong..

2. Remove Ads

I don't like know-it-alls... If he had something useful to say, that might be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

VIP Member
    I have people all day telling me what i do wrong .........................And they work for me so i get this i wonder why i don't work for them .

Don't let it ruin your day just smile
    Cleandean, Logic, WHEC724 and 3 others like this.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I couldn't shoot a one-hole target if I glued it to the muzzle. Never have, never will--not with a handgun. Hands have never been steady enough. I shoot enough to keep it minute-of-BG, although I'd like to shoot more. I can't afford to shoot more than I do, but if someone else can and does--fire away! Everyone has their personal standards to meet.
    357and40, msgt/ret, BkCo1 and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

There is a response that is very useful in situations where one does not wish to start problems, push an opinion, or offend...I usually just comment, "That's interesting."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Thats Interesting ......................I could not resist
    Sister and gatorbait51 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There is a response that is very useful in situations where one does not wish to start problems, push an opinion, or offend...I usually just comment, "That's interesting."
    Just smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave.
    gatorbait51 and Recon1342 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

idiot: "You waste too much money on ammo."

me: "You waste too much range time talking."

***bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang

***bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang

me: "Huh? I can hear you!"

***bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Thats Interesting ......................I could not resist
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Just smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave.
    Now that's interesting!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    I have always used: Thank you for your advice. I'll be sure to give it the due consideration it deserves.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Work hard. Play hard.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ďOf all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I've never run across these types at the range. But GOOD LORD the know it all's you can come across at the Gun Shop!

VIP Member
    When I was stationed at Travis the local range had a resident “expert” who had to criticize almost anyone’s skill or equipment or skill. He is the one who told me a ’09 Argentine action and Shaw barrel in 220 Swift are inherently inaccurate and next to useless, after firing a five round group at 100 yards that could be covered with the head of Roosevelt on a dime I told him I would just be fine with such inaccuracy. I really upset him one day when I was shooting a cheap old Remington 788 in .223 and got better groups than his high dollar Shilen rifle with a Leopold scope.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    It seems almost every time I enter a gun shop I encounter a know it all type. I mostly just nod and say "oh, I never knew that"... unless somebody is giving out dangerous "advice", it's just not worth my time to get into any debates.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Sir. Please don't talk when I have a gun in my hand. This gun is trained to follow my eyes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links