Scratch n' sniff your monitor

This is a discussion on Scratch n' sniff your monitor within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; All this talk about bread in Sister's other thread got me hungry. First, I brought in my assistant. assistant.jpg I mixed up the dough and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Scratch n' sniff your monitor

VIP Member

All this talk about bread in Sister's other thread got me hungry.

First, I brought in my assistant.

assistant.jpg

I mixed up the dough and let it rise. It's got herbs de provence inside, along with some garlic.

letitrise.jpg

While I waited, I caramelized some onions and thawed out one of my roasted garlic heads. I do these in batches and freeze them.

onionsgarlic.jpg

I spread out the dough, brushed on some oil, sprinkled on the garlic, onions, rosemary and flax seeds, and put it in the oven.

intheoven.jpg

30 minutes later and my kitchen smells insane. This is part of dinner tonight. It'll get a drizzle of garlic butter when we're ready to eat.

alldone.jpg
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Wow! I'm impressed! You've been busy.

Also, I'd like to borrow your assistant, she's too huggy cute!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Senior Moderator
    Very nice Betty, now I'm hungry and I can't eat my wife's cooking tonight
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Betty the food looks great but the traditions of learning from ones parents and grandparents brings back fond memories. I'm sure your assistant treasures you now, but think of the joy you are handing down when she works with her assistant.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Wow! I'm impressed! You've been busy.

Also, I'd like to borrow your assistant, she's too huggy cute!
    If you scratch n' sniff her, you get to change her!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Betty the food looks great but the traditions of learning from ones parents and grandparents brings back fond memories. I'm sure your assistant treasures you now, but think of the joy you are handing down when she works with her assistant.
    I remember making grape jam with my grandma. She had her own grapevine that grew up over an arched trellis in her really big garden, and we would pick the grapes and bring them and wash them for the jam. She did the wax seals and the whole nine yards canning them.

I let the little one (she's 20 months old) "help" by taste testing cinnamon, confectioner's sugar and cake sprinkles.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm not sniffing my monitor. I know what kind of things have been on it.
    gatorbait51 and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Truly beautiful and has to be perfectly delicious! I'd send Shooter Gramps to the store to get me some yeast.........

But I don't have a totally darling little helper to stand at my counter. What shall I do????

(Shooter Gramps just came in and read this and got that "little boy" look on his face and said, "I would stand by your counter". OK OLD FELLOW, You got a deal, now go get the yeast!)
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I let the little one (she's 20 months old) "help" by taste testing cinnamon, confectioner's sugar and cake sprinkles.
    She'll just love it when you unleash her on pounding the rising dough. Once she starts Krav Maga class, get her rolling on the dough.

Li'l cutie, there, to be sure. Treasure the moments ... cinnamon, sprinkles and all.

BTW, where can I get me some togs like dat? Cool duds, there. I like it!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Looks great. Reminds me of my wife with the little ones....
    Sister likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Looks delicious! Also like the hoosier cabinet in the background. I've got one in pieces that I've been avoiding painting all summer.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Looks delicious! Also like the hoosier cabinet in the background. I've got one in pieces that I've been avoiding painting all summer.
    Thanks! We picked up that Hoosier cabinet earlier this year. It was a wreck - it must've been in somebody's barn for a couple decades. There were mud dauber nests all up in it and it had suffered some water damage. I have mostly restored it. It had some floral decals on the doors that didn't quite survive the sanding and repainting, so I designed some "vintage" labels with our names on them, printed them out, and decoupaged them on. I did light sanding and kept some original paint on and used a white pickling stain and then some clear varnish to keep the "rustic" look.

And I use it. It's got all my bread making stuff in it.
    msgt/ret and Brady like this.

Distinguished Member
    Betty your baby is precious, you are certainly blessed. Mmmmm the bread looks so good I almost can smell it!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Gotta cold, Sniffer's on the blink, But sure looks yummy.

I'm hungry now! Yum!

I like the assistant too. We're about to go see our two granddaughters so I'll get to play with one about that age all weekend.

"We picked up that Hoosier cabinet earlier this year. It was a wreck."

Hah! Betty, you must have found ours that fell off the back of a pickup at 40 mph during a move many years ago.

Grew up with a Hoosier cabinet, a good one, in our old family lake cabin. Large cooking pots were stowed in it there, medicines in one of the upper cabinets, and the cabin's .22 Marlin single shot bolt action rifle lived up on top. The inside of the door to the cabinet portion, where the medicines were kept, had a REA (Railway Express Agency) 12-month calendar from 1956 perpetually stuck on it. Was the kind that had an extendable chopping block top and a built in flour bin with a crank-operated sifter inside. Was great!

When we married, my grandmother said that we ought to go out to the lake and get it to place in the large kitchen of the house we had bought. My wife used it, made bread on its counter. It lived there for 6 years and then we bought a different house across town. A friend and I were both taking pickup loads over he was in front. The hoosier cabinet was standing at the rear of his pickup, wedged in place by the rest of the load. Got to one of the main streets and he got up to posted speed which was higher than the residential area. Yep, the hoosier cabinet tumbled over the tailgate right in front of my pickup and exploded against the pavement in a mushroom cloud of flour which obscured it momentarily. Being nighttime, it was spectacular in the headlight beams. Nothing was left but kindling. It was a wreck.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links