The kindest gesture

This is a discussion on The kindest gesture within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Something positive for once. Pope Frances embraces a man who suffers from a terribly disfiguring disease, sometimes known as "Elephant Man" disease. Can you imagine ...

Like Tree54Likes
  • 12 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 6 Post By Betty
  • 2 Post By welder516
  • 5 Post By pgrass101
  • 10 Post By detective
  • 5 Post By ccw9mm
  • 3 Post By detective
  • 3 Post By 357and40
  • 5 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By 357and40

Thread: The kindest gesture

VIP Member

The kindest gesture

Something positive for once. Pope Frances embraces a man who suffers from a terribly disfiguring disease, sometimes known as "Elephant Man" disease.

Can you imagine the loneliness, isolation and sadness this man must live with every day of his life? To have the Pope openly embrace him and treat him with such kindness must have meant a lot to him.

The Simple Thing Pope Francis Did to a Severely Disfigured Man That Has Captivated the World | TheBlaze.com
    Betty, maxwell97, darbo and 9 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've been following with great interest the news stories surrounding Pope Francis. He really walks the walk from what I've been seeing. And I respect what he did to the Bishop of Bling.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    It is a great story JL , I really love this Pope he seems like the real deal . I can only hope and pray i can be a better person and learn from him .
    Jeanlouise and gatorbait51 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Senior Moderator
    If only I had the strength of faith that Pope Francis has, he is truly an example of how a Christian should behave

and I like how the bishop of bling's $40 million mansion is now a soup kitchen and homeless shelter
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Christian or not, Catholic or not - we all can recognize an act of great compassion when we see it - which lifts us all up.
    Would all men of power have this in their hearts!
    ccw9mm, pgrass101, tdave and 7 others like this.

There is amazing strength, compassion and hope in the simplest of acts. Holding the man's hand and listening to him, telling him he's loved and respected ... it'll work with most folks. But I'll bet this guy doesn't get that a lot, on a daily basis.

I admire Pope Francis the more I hear of his simple ways. Back to basics, goin' "natural." Nice to see, after so many decades (centuries?) of outright falseness with so much of "the persona" of the office.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There is amazing strength, compassion and hope in the simplest of acts. Holding the man's hand and listening to him, telling him he's loved and respected ... it'll work with most folks. But I'll bet this guy doesn't get that a lot, on a daily basis.

I admire Pope Francis the more I hear of his simple ways. Back to basics, goin' "natural." Nice to see, after so many decades (centuries?) of outright falseness with so much of "the persona" of the office.
    Yes, simplicity and humbleness - an island of sanity in our world of constant complicating issues, schedules, complicated language that hides meanings instead of revealing them: and the constant need for THINGS: cell phones, smartphones, latest cars, huge houses, making money, money, money getting promotions and on and on. A very noisy and complex world, makes you nervous, unsettled - and sometimes causes you to act badly towards your fellows on the planet.

How refreshing to see this simple gesture of love and kindness for a poor person diseased and disfigured through no fault of his own, his aching loneliness and self-consciousness gone for a few moments as a holy man tenderly touches what disgusts others. Francis looked and saw beyond the disfigured appearance and was aware only of a suffering man who needed the simplest of help, a place to lay his weary head for a few moments and feel the soft caress of compassion from an all-loving man. I'm sure the poor man will never forget that caress for all of his days. I won't forget it soon either. It gives me a value to aspire to though I can only get so far towards it in this life. But seeing what's important in our short lives is a great lesson.
    ccw9mm, welder516 and Jeanlouise like this.

What a classy guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Something positive for once. Pope Frances embraces a man who suffers from a terribly disfiguring disease, sometimes known as "Elephant Man" disease.

Can you imagine the loneliness, isolation and sadness this man must live with every day of his life? To have the Pope openly embrace him and treat him with such kindness must have meant a lot to him.

The Simple Thing Pope Francis Did to a Severely Disfigured Man That Has Captivated the World | TheBlaze.com
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think the new pope will change the perception of the Catholic Church. It needs some updating. The world is changing, for better or worse, and the church needs to keep up with it. He is a breath of fresh air in that aspect.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    If only I had the strength of faith that Pope Francis has, he is truly an example of how a Christian should behave
    He is an example of how EVERYONE should behave.
    detective, ccw9mm and welder516 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Links