Is This Right or Wrong? Police Force a Man NOT To Save His Child From Death? :

This is a discussion on Is This Right or Wrong? Police Force a Man NOT To Save His Child From Death? : within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's a thicket of moral/legal conflicting desires: Cops tase dad to keep him from going into burning home - CNN.com Video If you were a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Is This Right or Wrong? Police Force a Man NOT To Save His Child From Death? :

Here's a thicket of moral/legal conflicting desires:

Cops tase dad to keep him from going into burning home - CNN.com Video

If you were a Police Officer, what would you have done?

All I know: what a horror of a situation to be in.
    Last edited by detective; November 8th, 2013 at 05:37 AM.

Thats a tough one. I see their intentions. But more than that, I see where the father was coming from.... But I doubt his life is very enjoyable after losing a little boy that he possibly could have saved. Guess my answer is pretty neutral, sad it had to play out like that.
    gatorbait51 and Spade115 like this.

VIP Member
    This one is a no-win all the way around.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

KoB
    As a father....on this subject...let me decide if I want to risk MY OWN life to save my child...don't make it for me!

Administrator
    A whole lot would depend on the situation. I've actually stopped and looked the other way while people went back in burning homes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How utterly awful
    gatorbait51 and detective like this.
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's pushing who.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A whole lot would depend on the situation. I've actually stopped and looked the other way while people went back in burning homes.
    Then IMO you made the right call. Its my baby, get the hell out of the way....(last part not directed at you personally)
    Brad426, ksholder, Badey and 2 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

That's a horrific situation to be in. I'm not a father, but if I was I would have ran in that house. From the police's stand point, they could very well be liable if they let the man inside the home and he also died. Either way, it's horrible. RIP to the child.

Edit: I can't even imagine being in this situation - being the victim or the officers.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

Quote Originally Posted by DjPx4 View Post
    Thats a tough one. I see their intentions. But more than that, I see where the father was coming from.... But I doubt his life is very enjoyable after losing a little boy that he possibly could have saved. Guess my answer is pretty neutral, sad it had to play out like that.
    I'm with you - being able in imagination (ONLY in imagination thank god) to put yourself in the perspective of both the father AND the police - I'm frozen. I don't what is right or wrong or what I'd do. Impossibly conflicted situation to me. Either way, you're screwed....
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KoB View Post
    As a father....on this subject...let me decide if I want to risk MY OWN life to save my child...don't make it for me!
    You just gave me my answer. No one is inside and knows for sure the child is doomed. If they did it would be right to stop the father. But not knowing, it's the choice of the man willing to risk his life to find out: especially as he's the father.

But CanuckQue said it best:

"How utterly awful"

It would be a horrible fate to be placed in this situation in the role of any one of them. No matter what you did or didn't do, it could be a life-long regret that you didn't do the other - or that you can't know the result of the other, a terrible mystery to have to live with, it could drive you nuts.

Prayers for the child. Prayers for all of them. May the gods save me from ever having to face such a situation!
    Last edited by detective; November 8th, 2013 at 06:27 AM.
    NONAME762 likes this.

I have risked my life to save folks I didn't know. I've been disciplined for it on the job and didn't snivel. My child at risk no brainer. I hope these folks can reconcile themselves with what has happened.
    detective, Sister and NONAME762 like this.

VIP Member
    If my child died in a fire while I stood outside and watched, I'm not sure I'd want to live anyway.
    detective, Tzadik, sixgun and 7 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I don't think I would have stopped him from going in unless I knew for sure that it was already a lost cause. The reality is that in most house fires it is not long before the environment is deadly and an unprotected person would be incapacitated in seconds. So most likely he could not have saved his kid and would have died in trying, but I don't think I could stop a father from trying.
    ksholder, NONAME762 and manolito like this.

I dont know what to think about this. Its horrible all the way around. Sad it had to end that way.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Here's a thicket of moral/legal conflicting desires:

Cops tase dad to keep him from going into burning home - CNN.com Video

If you were a Police Officer, what would you have done?
    If it were my child and I honestly believed there was the least chance of making the save, I believe they'd have to kill me to stop me doing everything I could. That is, if I had what I believed to be a credible barrier against some exposure to the fire. But that's just me.

That said, once a fire gets going it can easily best the hottest oven any home ever sees. That'll melt flesh right off the bones, pretty quickly. Without the means of guarding against the fire's effects, there wouldn't be much hope at all. Depends on the fire's progress, the layout of the home. Not all fires consume all portions equally quickly, and many a firefighter can confirm there are often alternate ways through that one can't see from outside.

Bad situation. If the LEO's in question, I'd probably do just what they did. Knowing a bit about that fire and knowing the low probability, I'd have to say that saving one life instead of losing two was the right call. But I'd understand if someone went in anyway, knowing the risks.

As some have said: no-win, either way ... unless, by some miracle, the one going in pulls a "rabbit" out of the hat. No telling, beforehand, even though it seems likely to be hopeless.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links