Trans fat banned

Trans fat banned

This is a discussion on Trans fat banned within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No More Trans Fat: FDA Banning the Artery-Clogger - ABC News It seems the government is now banning trans fat. What do you guys think ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Trans fat banned

Trans fat banned

No More Trans Fat: FDA Banning the Artery-Clogger - ABC News

It seems the government is now banning trans fat. What do you guys think aboout this particular incident? I understand trans fat is unhealthy, but am i alone in thinking that someone else deciding what I can and can't eat is taking it too far. I know i'm preaching to the choir as far as banning things goes, but this story just took me off guard.
    packinnova likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jesseyuh View Post
    It seems the government is now banning trans fat. What do you guys think aboout this particular incident? I understand trans fat is unhealthy, but am i alone in thinking that someone else deciding what I can and can't eat is taking it too far. I know i'm preaching to the choir as far as banning things goes, but this story just took me off guard.
    Don't you know that you are forbidden to question things like this? You must comply with all official commands.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Don't you know that you are forbidden to question things like this? You must comply with all official commands.
    well on the one hand if it's a public health major danger, like cigarettes (and there you had scum tobacco companies lying thru their teeth about their safety-studies and also selling a highly addictive product), then there's a precedent, and ultimately cigarettes by the focus on them have fewer and fewer users and fewer and fewer deaths caused by them - which was outrageous in number.

Trans-fat I don't know enough about as a true public health menace to make a judgement - I haven't eaten much of it the last few years, but on occasion I LIKE being Evil with a jelly doughnut. It should though be like cigarettes: they were never banned but education of the public, rules about where you could smoke (to limit second-hand smoke, dangerous as well) all helped to make many prefer to give them up. And trans-fat is not addicting, the extent of damage from it not known well, so I would say limit it's use by education and such like that. Banning it is a bit too Daddy-like for me.
    Tzadik and Jeanlouise like this.

Well OP after what a bunch of doctors told me 3 years ago about my arteries I would probably be a lot better off had the FDA got off it's sorry butt 30 years ago and banned it then.

When I was a lot younger I had faith in my government and the various agencies thereof. I began to wise up around 1991. Now I wouldn't trust them any farther than I could throw them. But that's just me. And FWIW the FDA is just a scam and a rackett the last say 20 years if not longer.
    miller_man, msgt/ret and Arejay like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Since we are going to have the Government in the health care business how about them banning more stuff ( like bacon ) so the cost of them footing the bill is reduced . We are only starting down this road in New York it will be spreading like Butter over the nation .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Trans-fat I don't know enough about as a true public health menace to make a judgement - I haven't eaten much of it the last few years, but on occasion I LIKE being Evil with a jelly doughnut. It should though be like cigarettes: they were never banned but education of the public, rules about where you could smoke (to limit second-hand smoke, dangerous as well) all helped to make many prefer to give them up. And trans-fat is not addicting, the extent of damage from it not known well, so I would say limit it's use by education and such like that. Banning it is a bit too Daddy-like for me.
    Agreed. I think educating the people to dangerous things is great, but beyond that people have their own decisions to make. And as far as cigarettes go, there's concern with secondhand smoke as well effecting others. Theres also warning labels on packages that tell Joe Citizen what he's eating, assuming the labels are correct...
    packinnova likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Well on the one hand if it's a major public health danger....

Trans-fat I don't know enough about it as a true public health menace to make a judgement - I haven't eaten much of it the last few years, but on occasion I LIKE being Evil with a jelly doughnut. And trans-fat is not addicting, the extent of damage from it is not known well, so I would say limit it's use by education and such like that. Banning it is a bit too Daddy-like for me.
    Well after saying you don't know enough about trans-fat to make a judgement how can you say it AIN'T addictive?? I mean it's in dang near every processed food made in US food plants for crying out loud!! Do you grow your own food?? Is it Organic?? If you eat meat do you raise your own livestock so you know from birth to harvest it's as pure as it can get?? Do you live close enuf to a major population center to get nicked by trace elements of the chem trails the US Air Force planes have been dropping for God only knows how long??? I know it sounds like I'm picking on you Dude but I'm not...lil bit yeah but I ain't lookin' 4 a fight just some answers.

Ya know heroin addicts got methadone to get off the horse. Alcoholics got Shick Shadel Rehab and Alcoholics Anonymous.
    NASCAR nuts can go buy and drive a Prius. Smokers got Jack Ship. And yeah I've tried quitting....we ain't gonna go down that road Mr Detective. But I'll tell ya what, it sounds for once (to me at least) like the FDA GOT IT RIGHT for once.

And b4 you ask me is my tin foil hat too tight Mr Detective...it's in the shop getting tuned up ROFLMAO

And b4 you ask I ain't had a drop for 2 days. I'm just a lil tired and sometimes when I'm worn out I get cranky. I kinda feel like I'm goin' thru a metamorphosis. The more I hear/read from Sister the closer I'm moving to her camp.

Well I'm almost outta ROCKSTAR in the white can (tastes like Bazooka Joe double bubble gum) so I'm off to see the wizard 4 sum more.

Rant done.

HAY Detective I spose you won't *Like* my posts no mo huh?
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I guess since people tend to feed their kids what they themselves eat the danger to loved ones arguments of second hand smoke could be applied here as well.

I am in trouble then, since I am mostly composed of trans fats. Lol.

Next thing you know they'll be banning sugary soft drinks....oh wait, never mind. NYC already doing it.
    packinnova likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Here's my argument. I don't think the producers/suppliers of transfats have rigorously tested the safety of their product, or even contributed meaningfully to answering the question. They forced other people to test the safety of their product. They merely endeavoured to reap all of the benefit* and then foisted the consequences onto the uninformed. At some point, you become responsible (at least partially) for what you're trying to convince people to eat. Sure, it's not as egregious as Big Tobacco advertising to kids whilst obfuscating the association with cancer, so it's not nearly as clear-cut regarding culpability.

Now, I don't approve of the ban. Not at all. If there's a line at which Caveat Emptor is drawn, I think that it's clear enough where the blame lies. People know transfats are unhealthy. Or, they should.

*They failed. This is the nature of capitalism, trade results in perceived net benefit to both parties. And, on average, the perception is mostly correct.
    Matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to a DwB (MSF) donation seems poetic to me.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible with this (simple) discovery. Tell the kids about this and "type III levers"! It's an untapped technology...

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Good, It is about time. Now maybe we can go back to deep fat frying with lard...
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Liberalism is unhealthy but they still allow that...
    msgt/ret and kiltedcowboy like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Since we are going to have the Government in the health care business how about them banning more stuff ( like bacon ) so the cost of them footing the bill is reduced . We are only starting down this road in New York it will be spreading like Butter over the nation .
    I agree Welder...when we're ALL on Obamacare, and I believe that's coming in a few years if it isn't defunded completely, the government will be banning all sorts of things for our "own good". The ACA is a Tsunami of expense and the banning will be justified as keeping the medical costs down for all Americans.

Of course, in a way that's true because obesity is a major health concern, but it will come at the expense of our freedom to live the way WE choose. Afterall...guns kill too. Come to think of it, cars that go over 55 mph are more likely to be in accidents. Manufacturing Petroleum products pollute the air. People break their legs while skiing. etc etc.

Educate people about their health and let them make the decisions. The government is there to protect the country against enemy invaders and provide an infrastructure, not to micromanage our lives.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    I don't like trans fats. But if I eat healthy most of the time, I allow myself to eat naughty on occasion. The large soda ban in NY is not something we should accept and get used to because "they did if for our health - oh, wonderful government, looking out for us!" When they get to determine what is and isn't good for you, they control you. One ban turns into two, then three, the four, until we're so used to it we won't bat an eye anymore. If you don't rip up that kudzu plant by the roots, it's going to cover up anything and everything until it suffocates all.

I'm also not for continuing to allow products that are outright dangerous to our health to stay on the shelves. But who gets to determine what is dangerous? The gov't? Should we trust them?

A powerful lobby can have a load of influence. Their bad pet product can go through while others are banned. A gov't ban is no assurance that we are protected. It is up to us to be informed consumers. In 2006 the FDA made companies label their products that contained trans-fats. That helped people become more informed. Those companies have been steadily removing the trans-fats from their products since.
    Jeanlouise, Sister and msgt/ret like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links