A Secessionist Movement Idea Thread

This is a discussion on A Secessionist Movement Idea Thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not sure if this would tie in anywhere else, so I thought I'd post it here. First off, there are some things that are interesting ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: A Secessionist Movement Idea Thread

Not sure if this would tie in anywhere else, so I thought I'd post it here.
    First off, there are some things that are interesting to note:
    The South seceded from the Union due to a series of laws being passed that were hurtful to the South: California became a free state that did not follow the boundaries of the Mason Dixon line, which angered the South greatly. Another one was the North ignoring the Fugitive Slave Act. This purely historical fact with no support for slavery or agreeing with either side, simply fact.
    The whole spark that set off the Civil War was the bombardment of for Sumter by the Confederate Army Fort Sumter: The Civil War Begins | History & Archaeology | Smithsonian Magazine. Which is all the provocation the North needed to start the war. We have seen this countless times in history from Pearl Harbor (Dec 7th 1941) to the 9/11 WTC bombing. The common thread between many of these situations is that it only takes one attack to start a whole war. Ok, now stay with me here.

Back in the 1990's there was a group called the Free State Project that promoted the moving to New Hampshire to basically start a grass roots movement of like minded people moving to one state to basically start a homesteading lifestyle and being self-sufficient. The project had great success and there are many that still live there. This is what drove many Americans to the Oregon territory in promise of better life and cheap land from the U.S. Government.

So now, if things continue to get into a worse state to the point where Americans feel that their liberty is constrained, why not do another grass roots effort to a free state and promote the secession of it from the Union? Could it be possible? Yes it is. Even though the North refused to recognize the Confederacy it still existed, much like how the UN does not recognize North Korea's government but it definitely still exists.

Here are some ideas of states I think it would be possible to accomplish this:
    #1 Texas (Texas was its own country at one point which is why it is allowed to fly its flag at the same height of the U.S. Flag). It has mining, fishing, oil, and cattle ranch as many of its prime forms of economy.
    #2 Wyoming- I believe it has a huge mining and logging industry, plus the population would be more open to the idea of secession. For those of you who pose the ideas that we would get cut off from oil supplies standby I have ideas for that as well
    #3 Nevada- it has many natural resources for mining and LOTs of unoccupied land still for sale. Every year down in Vegas there is a land auction when the government auctions off blm land for cheap. I'm talking 10 acre parcels for 50k a pop.
    If there are any others please post

The idea would be to move into one of these states and bring the industries to these states. Now onto the secession.
    So XYZ state has become prime candidate for secession. Obviously the congressional representatives would leave congress and return to their state or not if they choose. The Governor would either be elected or appointed as the new nation's president. Two term maximum of 4 year terms. The thing that I would change would be the legislative and judicial branch.
    Judicial Branch: Instead of an upper lower house, there would be two houses of reps so to speak because the seats get calculated on the population, which would help to avoid oligarchial rule from the Senate. There would be term limits in both houses of 3 2 year terms in each house MAX. That way a rep could run 3 times in both houses and do two terms as president, a total of 24 years max. Pensions would only be given to those who served 20 years in legislative and executive branches. This would prevent reps from sitting there for 30+ years. The government would be a continuing revolving door of people.

Judicial: Elected not by congress but by popular vote of citizens for 10 year terms with a maximum of 2 terms. 20 years, that's it.

Banking System: This nation would be a on a Gold/Silver standard which would mean that the only amount of money that could be printed was the amount that the national reserve had on hand.

Recalls: These would be initiated by the power of the citizens through initiative referendum of 10% of eligible voting populace. That means that if the population was upset with ANY officer (Judge, Representative, President) They could be recalled in a special election of 10% of the population to stage a special election to remove them from office.

Transportation: Automotive
    Biodiesel. It can be manufactured from Corn which is a renewable resource and it also allows us to not be dependent on foreign oil and oil trusts. It would create a huge agricultural industry and it's renewable, and to convert current diesels it requires replacing rubber fuel lines to steel braided and having a tank heater installed. Plus full size diesel trucks can get anywhere from 18-30 MPG on diesel.

Power: Citizens could become self sufficient through Solar/Wind/Geothermal/Hydroelectric while also utilizing coal on the national scale to buffer it.

Military: 2 years mandatory service with the option to make a career out of it for a constant revolving door of active duty with a 2 year reservist component to have an on call militia for 2 years after active service in case of attack
    Education: Strong core focus o academics with vocational programs included to omit new age political fufu stuff from classrooms. 18 year old students will graduate from "high" school with an associates in general studies, so they may pursue their undergrad while they are doing active service or after with a GI Bill from the government. College is still paid for and it puts 2 years of less of a financial strain on the government because it only is paying for 2 years of undergrad instead of 4.

Anyways, That's all I can think of now, feel free to add what other things would need to be added.
    -Linny
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e.../biodiesel.htm
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

You have way too much free time.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Brad, I did too before I read that.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

More like am supposed to be studying
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    You have way too much free time.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian

As Billy Joel once said "I shouldn't 'vetch' , I shouldn't cry... I start a revolution but I don't have time".
    Darrow75 and gatorbait51 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

You thought waco was bad. Pull something like this.....
    lionround and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Well Linny, you better crack them books, son. You won't get that liberal arts degree (or any other liberal degree) hanging out around here.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Ugh more like business (I hate math). Because I am a fan of Atlas Shrugged.
    gatorbait51 and Jeanlouise like this.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    There is only one problem with your whole idea, no where in the Constitution does it allow for secession. The states choose to become part of the United States, once that happened, they fall under the Federal government and the Constitution. They don't now have the right to say "just kidding".
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The Thirteen Colonies didn't have the right to tell Britain that they would no longer pay their taxes and the Boston Massacre was a result of attempted of confiscation of muskets from the Colonists. Signing the Declaration of Independence was an act of treason against Britain, so technically the United States never had the right to secede from Britain but it still happened.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian

VIP Member
    You lost me at biodiesel. That is a fuel source that requires more energy to create it, than it yields. Plus it turns a food source into fuel.

'Sort of like fanning yourself trying to stay cool, while eating your foot for dinner.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian

So, my main question is regarding the Texas Constitution. This would clearly require some type of amendment, what's the formula for such an amendment? You can either force the non-secessionists to leave, bribe them to leave, or out-vote them legally. I think 'force' is off the table, yeah?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's pushing who.

I think a 2/3rds majority would be good enough to propose any sorts of amendments. As for the non-secessionists, many loyalists became American citizens, returned to Britain or went to Canada, which was also a British Colony. There could also be some sort of immunity clause that was granted to former confederate soldiers that they would not be prosecuted for fighting in the Civil War.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian

The reasons were varied as to why the Southern States decided to secede but mostly it has been taught that it was all about Slavery and keeping those people enslaved. That was only one of the many factors involved in that time. Some people have even gone so far as to call it the "Second War for Independence." The North called it the Civil War or War Between the States. The Southerners called it "The War of Northern Aggression." Depends upon your view point. I live in the state of West Virginia and well below the Mason-Dixon line but our state was considered a Northern one. We are unique in all the states as our territory had been part of Virginia, but when 45 counties refused to leave, they eventually became West Virginia. Many though were South minded and it split families and friends for decades afterwards. West Virginia would not exist had all of Virginia had left the Union.

The U.S. Government during that time had grown quite powerful and that fueled the reasons to leave the Union. The United "States" was supposed to be just that, a collection of Independent States that banded together to form a strong country. A central government was just to oversee some of the things a central government was elected for but in time, the power they got was abused and therefore it led to some states to go into rebellion. Maybe that is happening now.

Our current Government has become our masters, just like Great Britain was in Colonial days. The Feds are so powerful, there is little resistance to it, even those elected to go to Washington, DC and make laws have stopped being representative of the people and now think we work for them. Our Constitution and the Bill of Rights guarantees us that a Government that is out of control can be replaced, by force if necessary. It isn't fantasy, it is fact.

There are provisions that have been put in place after the American Civil War to keep any state from leaving. If any one does decide to leave for any reason, expect the U.S. Government to send troops to bring that rogue state back into the fold and punish it severely. I don't see secession from the United States happening anytime soon.
    gatorbait51 and Jeanlouise like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links