I just love banks to death...

This is a discussion on I just love banks to death... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two years ago I spent eight hours over three days either with a bank manager or someone online to trace down why I have almost ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: I just love banks to death...

Distinguished Member

I just love banks to death...

Two years ago I spent eight hours over three days either with a bank manager or someone online to trace down why I have almost $300 in penalties for an overdrawn account. It turns out that, unknown to me, Wells Fargo opened a "personal line of credit" for me and then again, without my knowledge, switched over my overdrawn protection from my default savings account to the personal line of credit. The irony of being overdrawn by a few dollars cost almost $300. To add insult to injury, this is perfectly legal.

Fast forward to this summer. Again, unknown to me, Paypal opened a "Bill Me Later" account, and, unknown to me, Aetna charged me $139 for some copay meds. Copay meds go directly to Flex-Funding. I never use a credit card, and I NEVER use Paypal or the phantom Bill Me Later account. Once again, I'm approaching $300 in fees as well as dunning notices (that I thought were attempts at online fraud) because I ignored them. I'm into three hours now. I expect another hour with Aetna to figure out how they charged me, let alone, how they found out I had a "Bill-Me-Later" account that even I did not know I had..."We are experiencing a high volume of calls. Your call is very important to us." Then, if Aetna ever fesses up to making a mistake (they won't - Wells Fargo never did and I had to pay the fines), I then have to call Paypal again ("Your call is very important to us...") and finally all three credit bureaus and beg them to remove my black marks for nonpayment ("Well, Mr. Perkins, we see here that you also defaulted on your Wells Fargo loans...").
    I love banks. I really do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Credit union time. Mine has no hidden fees like that. As far as the fees are concerned, tell them to take a hike....
    gatorbait51 and Betty like this.

Sorry to hear about all that, That sounds rediculous.. I don't know what I would have done but I probably would have told that bank manager to stick those fines somewhere dark..
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Thanks. I least I know that I'm not the only one that this crap happens to. I'm lightning rod for this stuff.
    gatorbait51 and aznav like this.

VIP Member
    I'd file a fraud claim with Paypal and close my account with them. Then tell Aetna that you want to be billed for co-pays, not charged on some account you didn't even know about.

What a nightmare, I can't believe that can be legal to do to you. Maybe you should give your state's Attorney General's office a call and find out if they can intervene for you.

Good luck!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    I want to hire JL to be my 'enforcer'.

That's the reason I use a credit union. Federally insured and small enough that the manager recognizes me when I call her with a concern.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    FWIW, all bank accounts are FDIC insured up to 250K each.

However, my faith in Federal Government anything is non-existent.
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.

All my money is in my safe . If they are going to take it they are going to take it from me. And I know how that going to end. Every part of our monetary system is crooked, they make billions and we barely get by.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let me guess . . . online banking is involved.
    Sister and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Agree with the above. Credit Union & Dump Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo is the most fee driven bank in the industry, and they will charge you to breathe air in their lobby. Lose them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

We had some billing issues during the pregnancy/birth of our first child. Our insurance company at the time tried billing us for stuff that was supposed to be covered and would not budge. Well, they learned pretty quick not to piss my wife off. lol She called everyone she could think off including the BBB, state AG, even a couple state congressmen. The AG's office and one of the Senator's jumped on board (pretty sure it was an election year ) and pressured the company into covering what they were supposed to and I believe we got a bit of additional coverage we shouldn't have.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Just because it's legal does not make it right. Just because it is illegal does not make it wrong.

Capitalism at it's finest....It's the American way. Any kind of regulation is a double edged sword.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I want to hire JL to be my 'enforcer'.
    I could never be that mean to anybody.
    gatorbait51 and WHEC724 like this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member
    My bank told me that they were safe and that they had wonderful protection on their site. I told them that the government says the same. I still use paper and a stamp.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links