DC.com If you were President what would you do in this situation?

This is a discussion on DC.com If you were President what would you do in this situation? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since this is a defensive minded board and we have guys who have served and some old enough to have been of age to understand ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: DC.com If you were President what would you do in this situation?

DC.com If you were President what would you do in this situation?

Since this is a defensive minded board and we have guys who have served and some old enough to have been of age to understand what was going on during the Cold War. I figure this would be a good scenario.

The Day after used scenes from this dramatization.

We are going with present day times.

The Russians launched a first strike on the United States, crippling our strategic forces (Bases, Minuteman Silos, destroying four of our 14 SSBN's) and have given us an ultimatum of standing down or facing complete annihilation if we retaliate. This is what is left of our Nuclear deterrent.

Facts:
    * You have 46 MMIII remaining, giving you a total of 138 warheads to throw at the Russians.
    * You possibly have 10 Ohio Class ballistic missiles Submarines left each armed with 24 Trident D-II SLBM, which can carry up to 12 MIRV warheads and have a CEP of 66-280ft. Giving them a first strike, counter force and counter vaue ability.
    * Bombers are non factors, the Russians made sure to hit our B-2 bases none survived so all you have is 22 B-52's which cannot penetrate Russian Airspace. Yet can launch cruises missiles armed with nuclear warheads from as far away as 2,000 nautical miles and the B-52 can carry up to 20 of them.
    * Eight million Americans are dead!

If you were President would you retaliate or surrender?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    MAD!

If you don't know what MAD is, think Plan B. What's Russian for "Incoming!"

I watch every episode of Revolution to get pointer for Plan C.
    Last edited by OldVet; November 8th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
    chandler4228 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Retaliate. If you were in a fight for your life and the guy you were fighting was going to take your wife and kids do you give up or do you fight? If I dye in a gunfight it will not be because I gave up. Same thing here. Fight until you win or are dead. No other choice!

throw everything I have at them and let God sort it out.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Someone is getting blown up.
    Badey and ugh762x39 like this.

I would attempt to establish communication with the remaining subs or sub to get a better understand of how many missiles I could launch in return, once communication has been established with the remaining subs. I would launch half of Minuteman's against their strategic forces, only if my early warning systems are still working. If not then I'll launch all of my land based missiles and half of what ever SLBM I have left.

Since I only have 22 B-52's i'm sending them to Russia to get as close as possible to launch their missiles.

I want to keep the Subs armed with something since they are harder to destroy.

The enemy will suffer casualties also.

Before any of their missiles hit I would have been sending some their way. That's how it works. Neither of us could get a first strike in with out the other being able to retaliate before impact.
    oldnfat, suntzu and jackson85746 like this.
    "Don't make me assume my ultimate form!"

Distinguished Member
    If I were the president I'd do what I have been doing all the other times, I'd go play golf.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

When I was flying fighters, our plan was - get in the air, climb to 45 thousand, throttle back to max cruise and watch the show. It was the last thing you were going to see.
    Recon1342 and miller_man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGramps View Post
    When I was flying fighters, our plan was - get in the air, climb to 45 thousand, throttle back to max cruise and watch the show. It was the last thing you were going to see.
    Crusader pilot?

Since this is a defensive minded board and we have guys who have served and some old enough to have been of age to understand what was going on during the Cold War. I figure this would be a good scenario.
    Dude, the Cold War ended in 1991 LOL We are not all that very old...anyhoo......How many folks here actually got one of those cheesy Cold War ceritifates or awards that were sent to everyone that served during the Cold War?

Back to the OP:

Hmmm

I can't answer the question since there is no motive for the launch and you did not state what the Soviets want. Do they want to invade the US? Reduce our military influence? Take over Europe or the oils fields of OPEC without worrying about us?

I don't see where this scenario is going..
    Hopyard and blitzburgh like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Dude, the Cold War ended in 1991 LOL We are not all that very old...anyhoo......How many folks here actually got one of those cheesy Cold War ceritifates or awards that were sent to everyone that served during the Cold War?

Back to the OP:

Hmmm

I can't answer the question since there is no motive for the launch and you did not state what the Soviets want. Do they want to invade the US? Reduce our military influence? Take over Europe or the oils fields of OPEC without worrying about us?

I don't see where this scenario is going..
    You're looking too much into it.

The video is straight forward and so is the question.

Either you retaliate or you don't.

Bombs away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member
    What Tzadik said. Just save a couple of missiles for the middle east,(pre-emptive strike).
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Everything in the air as theirs is coming in, cuz we would know. Except probably hold a few for any countries that have one they have been working on and figure its time to test it out on us. One for each of them should suffice.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links