Deer hunters let's hear from you!

This is a discussion on Deer hunters let's hear from you! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tomorrow is opening day of modern firearms season in Kentucky. So as I have been preparing and double checking all my gear, I thought it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Deer hunters let's hear from you!

Tomorrow is opening day of modern firearms season in Kentucky. So as I have been preparing and double checking all my gear, I thought it would be fun to hear from others.

Share with us your chosen gun, caliber, hunting method, location and terrain, meat processing method or any other tidbits of fun information you wish.

I will be hunting on my own land in eastern Ky, which is very thick with hardwoods like white and red oak, hickory, walnut, beech, and poplar, with a few areas of pine.
    It's very hilly, and steep, with many flats as you go up.
    I will be using a climbing stand, situated over heavily used doe trails, in a position that let's me see the top of the hill and about 70 yards beneath me.
    I'll set up with my stand facing the west side of the tree so the sun will not hinder my vision as it comes up.

My chosen firearms are the 270 Win with hand loads and the Colt 45 ACP for anything within 40 yards. The Colt will be loaded with my hand loads of a 225 grain TC lead bullet at 900 fps.
    I will do all of my own meat processing.

Ok, your turn!
    Caertaker and BigJon10125 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Not going this year as I have work commitments. In the past, I have gone to a cousin's farm in central KY and used my granddad's 1894 in .32 Winchester Special. My cousin and I process our own meat.

Winchester 94-2.jpg
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

TN here, and tomorrow morning is opening day for MUZZLELOADER. Will use a Thompson break action muzzleloader. Thats a step up from the Thompson kit gun New Englander model, that I started out on decades ago. Leupold 2 x 7 scope.

I will be hunting essentially the same terrain as you, glockman. I will either use a summit viper climbing stand, or a popup ground blind. Im leaning towards the ground blind.

For modern rifle season, I will be using a new rig. A Tikka T3 chambered in .270, with a redfield 4 X 12 scope.

VIP Member
    Shotguns and large handguns are all we are allowed to use in Ohio during gun season. I have an eighty-acre field along a river in its ninth year of a set-aside program, so I have plenty of deer. I generally get a large doe, and process it with a buddy's help. It fills my freezer, his freezer and a couple more for people I try to look out for. No, we don't have large freezers.
    I use a 12-guage Mossy slug gun fitted with a muzzle-loader scope, and load it with Winchester sabots.
    I set up on the ground along a fence row. If nothing is shaking there, I have a couple more spots I set up along the river, also on the ground. Flat terrain, four foot grass after they get beyond the mowed filter strips/fire breaks.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member
    Our terrain is right at the base of the mountains and the start of the desert. I use a 30-30 lever action gun it is short and easy to get in the brush. I process the meat here as with the farm animals we raise for meat. Our season is closed and the rut has yet to start. We have diminishing deer heards because we can't thin the forest tree huggers you know.

I coat my venison steaks with mayonnaise and fry them on very high setting. This keeps the meat moist and the mayonnaise makes a nice crust on the outer part of the meat. All the trimmings are made into jerky or smoked for a pemmican snack.

Good luck to you I was skunked this year.

Bill

I hunt on property near me. Its about 150 acres. I use a .270 Remington 760 pump action. The terrain is hilly, and somewhat choked with brush, and the longest shot I would have to take is 100 yards.

I typically ground hunt and post up near a spot where several trails converge in a valley.

I process my own meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I will be sleeping in. My days in the woods are but happy memories. But good luck to all of you still able to get out there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I will be sleeping in. My days in the woods are but happy memories. But good luck to all of you still able to get out there.
    Ah, come on up here, and I'll fix ya a comfy spot to hunt from, and even give you a ride back and forth to your spot.
    welder516 and WHEC724 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd shoot all your deer and then you'd be mad at me.
    welder516 and WHEC724 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

worked on my spot yesterday and today. Of course deer were standing within 20 yrds thumbing for a ride on the four wheeler all over the place at mid day. In the morning of course they will be waving at me from 400 yards away and snickering lol.

Eastern Ky also. SKS 124 gr hollow points iron sights. SW9VE sidearm with 124 gr pdx 1 just cuz it always goes with me every place.

Have always done my own butchering, wrapping etc. Not a antler hunter (did that got some big racks and how many horns does a guy really need) as we love venison better than beef.

Good luck to everyone.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Our Kansas rifle season opens in a few days less than a month. I did not hunt the muzzle loader or bow season this year so I have not been out yet!
    The big farm we have hunted the last few years is full of BIG KANSAS WHITETAILS! We use haybales for blinds,we drive steel fence posts into the ground & turn the square bales long ways & wire them to the fence posts.

My buck last year was 265 yards (lazer ranged) away crossing at first light from the praire grass bedding area across the harvested corn field into a large woodlot.

Our shots are all 200 yards or better. I shoot a Ruger 77 30/06 with a 180 grain Nosler & a hatfull of Reloader 22.
    The other two hunters use a .270 Win. short mag the other a .300 Weatherby. Not sure about there loads.

Nothing quite like a deer hunt! Good Luck, Have Fun, Be Safe!

VIP Member
    I deer hunt in Ohio and PA. I do a lot of archery hunting but if the tags aren't filled then to the gun I go.

In Ohio it's shotgun only so I use a Savage 220 bolt action 20 gauge shotgun and Remington copper solid sabot slugs.

In PA I use a few different rifles, whatever strikes my fancy. This year I'll be using a brand new Browning A Bolt in 7mm-08. I topped it with a Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 scope. It shoots like a dream with just about anything. I'm using 140 grain accubond handloads at around 2700fps.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

ML opener is tomorrow where I hunt. I'll be headed out with a Remington Genisis inline. Contemplating taking my bow as well. Lately I'm more confident in my bow than my ML. I've got a bow rack at my feet and can hang the ML from the bow rack on my left side.

I've picked up 2 with my bow so far. I need 2 more to get through to next season. I process all my own too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I admittedly suck as a hunter. 'Raised in the suburbs (my dad didn't hunt), I embraced my redneck roots late in life.

We have a large tract up in Greenwood with ponds and creeks, that is crawling with every type of wildlife imaginable. It's some of the most beautiful land I've ever seen (second only to West Virginia). Mike Waddell filmed a junior turkey shoot there last year (sadly, I was too busy with work stuff to even attend the event). Another buddy of mine is an amazing hunter and woodsman, and has taken me under his wing in instructing me in the ways of the wild. I still don't have the eyes to see the things that he does in the woods. If I see it, I can hit it (usually with a Marlin 30-30), but I usually don't have a clue as to what's going on around me. Fortunately, my buddy keeps my freezer stocked for me, regardless of my success level for that season.
    atctimmy likes this.

I was getting all my deer hunting stuff ready, gun sighted in, clothes packed. However fate stepped in changed my plans. Climbing into bed on Thurs. night something popped in my knee , an emergency run and a MRI later I tore some ligiments in my knee.
    I was heading up to Big Fork, MN in the Chippewa National Forest with a few friends. Oh well, maybe next year.
    Now I have to figure out a way to get to the range and see if they have a chair I can sit on so I can get my shooting fix.
    Good luck all and be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links