VERY Weird Cat Behvior:

VERY Weird Cat Behvior:

This is a discussion on VERY Weird Cat Behvior: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have 2 cats, one is small and looks like a kitten though she's full grown and 5 years old. She does several very odd ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 357and40
  • 1 Post By Oldpsufan

Thread: VERY Weird Cat Behvior:

VERY Weird Cat Behvior:

I have 2 cats, one is small and looks like a kitten though she's full grown and 5 years old. She does several very odd things:

She will frequently stand on the radiator in my bedroom and stretch up so her paws are on the glass to a nearby window. Then she washes the window.

Seriously, she moves alternate paws in very energetic large circles over the glass. It looks EXACTLY like she's a "washer-woman" from old. It is hysterically funny. If I could do it, I'd put a bucket down somewhere with rags around and video it but hard to anticipate.

Next: she does the same thing to the bathroom floor around her food bowl sometimes after she eats. This is even funnier because she's obsessive about the cleaning movements like someone who's got a whole house-full of floors to do and this is the first - again, she stretches her front body out and reaches as far as she can making very large circles with one paw at a time, wicked fast scrubbing movements and hyper-concentration on her task like she's a professional.

Last, and THE oddest: I put her food bowl in the bathroom and close the door and do the same for my other cat in the kitchen - he would eat the structure of the house if you let him so this way he can't steal the other's food.

At times, especially when I just left the food bowl in the vicinity of the toilet paper roller on the wall, when I come back in my female "washer-cat" will have neatly put folds of toilet paper on top of the remnants in her food bowl, over the whole food bowl - I mean it looks like she really worked at it. The folds are all the same length, folded exactly on top of one other with the end still on the roller so the food bowl is elegantly covered by loops of "silk". It looks very pretty, like a long silk scarf gently folded in loops - "ribbons of toilet paper".

Anyone with cat knowledge figure any of this out. One things she does, the folds over the food remnants may be the built-in urge of covering the remains of a kill to obliterate the scent - so predators won't converge where a lion has been, e.g. - that kind of thing. But that's a guess.

And the "windows-washing"? I don't think the Big Cats do that in the African wild.

"?"

I can address the last behavior. In the wild, if a big cat doesn't finish eating it's prey it will cover the carcass with grass, brush,etc. to keep other predators from finding it's kill. I believe your kitty is trying to hide it's food from be discovered by the other cat in the house.

Do you have cats that are roaming the neighborhood? Cats do use scent marking as part of their communication. This could be a modification of sharpening a felines claws to mark territory with the scent and claw marks, hence the vigorous washerwoman motions. Just a theory.

Cats are decidedly weird. I could never live with one. Have fun

I have an OCD daughter but not an OCD cat. Tiger lives in the house but has to go outside if she has not found a rat to kill. She usually goes out the bedroom window and come back that way. My wife starts screaming for me to come and get tiger. I went into the bedroom and she had a good sized ground squirrel ( chipmunk). She didn't like it but I picked her up and put her back out side. Its funny how they leave you trophies of there kills. Snakes , Moles, rabbits, it freaks my wife out every time. I have to go pick them up and through them way up in a tree or she will bring them back. And my Dogs and Cats sleep together sometimes. I have a 90 pound mute that momma will go lay down on and go right to sleep Ryder doesn't mind at all. Animals are funny and they have a way of working there way into your heart.

I walked in to the bathroom earlier, and my cat was standing on the scales weighing himself

I have a Tuxedo who is about 9 years old now, named Skunky. Named him that due to the white streak running from his nose to the top of his head. He's the neighborhood alpha predator. He's be in fights with squirrels, rabbits, and even a small raccoon. He is always bringing home mice, chipmunks, and birds that he's killed. He'll usually be sitting over them on the front porch waiting to show me his kill, like a conquering lion in all it's glory. I had the fortune(or maybe misfortune) of actually seeing him stalk and capture a bluejay over the summer. I live in a large wooded lot and we get lots of different birds around here. There were a couple bluejays in the yard one afternoon after a rain looking for worms. Skunk was hiding under a shrub about 8ft from where they were in stalking stance. He broke for the birds and they took off and he leaped about 2ft into the air after them snagging one.

He behaves very dog like at times as well. When he wants attention, instead of the typical cat behavior he'll hop in my lap and start licking my hands or arms. When I'm sitting in my chair he lays at my feet like a dog would. And when I'm out in the yard or taking my daily walk around the block he follows along, usually a step behind. If I stop he stops and sits right next to me and won't move until I start walking again, like any well trained dog would.

I love that damn cat!

VIP Member
    She's karate training…

Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    I can address the last behavior. In the wild, if a big cat doesn't finish eating it's prey it will cover the carcass with grass, brush,etc. to keep other predators from finding it's kill. I believe your kitty is trying to hide it's food from be discovered by the other cat in the house.
    BINGO! I can stop her Psychiatric Treatment. (Only joking.)

Yes, makes perfect sense with a housemate cat who will eat all your food in one gulp. She's being smart!

Hey thanks, for 5 years that's been a mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Do you have cats that are roaming the neighborhood? Cats do use scent marking as part of their communication. This could be a modification of sharpening a felines claws to mark territory with the scent and claw marks, hence the vigorous washerwoman motions. Just a theory.
    Yes, that may explain that one too: the window washing. The window is the limit of her space - cats are very big on space. So she marks her scent - which partially comes from glands in the paw - to others outside so they know: MY SPACE - STAY AWAY! I saw a video once of a typical house with various circles both outside and inside. Each was theoretically for a cat that lived there: different spaces marked off by scent in various ways including urinating (outside). Different circles would have different functions for the cat: one perhaps for retreat from imagined danger, another for play, another for sleeping etc - all physically marked by the cat's scent. That's why a second cat has so much trouble with the King Cat, that has lived there alone. To that cat, the newbie is violating spaces he has, and the new cat's scent in one of the King Cat's spaces sets off aggressive behavior . Took these two cats I have a good 6 months before they could live together and interact as friends. Made my older cat physically ill for a time. Constant anxiety his space would all be gone and his owner not love him anymore. So I make sure he's always first: first to be able to sleep on he bed, first to play, first to eat etc

Hoplyte: YOU should be a Cat-Psychiatrist and write books and become a famous Cat-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Cats are decidedly weird. I could never live with one. Have fun
    I like dogs better but with my schedule the dog would be alone so much it wouldn't be fair. But cats I found are also loyal buddies, my older one acts like a dog - and they are so peaceful looking out a window for hours, sleeping on the bed - it rubs off slightly on me.

All in all I'll take a good animal and trust their goodness more than most people I run across professionally.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Hoplyte: YOU should be a Cat-Psychiatrist and write books and become a famous Cat-Man!
    Yeah Hoplyte, then you'd be laughed off the board.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

You are talking about cats... They hallucinate naturally... Nothing they do is normal.
    detective likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I love cats. You gotta see this.

YouTube Talking Cat Turf War - YouTube
    detective likes this.

Cartoon:

I saw an extremely funny (and likely true) cartoon once - famous cartooner did it.

The cartoon is from the rear perspective, of a cat sitting in front of an empty corner of a room just looking at it. In the circle above that shows the character's words or thoughts is: the rear perspective of a cat sitting in front of an empty corner of a room just looking at it.

Sponsored Links