Ender's Game Pre-screening

This is a discussion on Ender's Game Pre-screening within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My eldest is reading Ender's Game, and the tentative deal is I will take her to the movie when she finishes the book and if ...

Thread: Ender's Game Pre-screening

VIP Member

My eldest is reading Ender's Game, and the tentative deal is I will take her to the movie when she finishes the book and if I deem the movie appropriate for her. So I went to a showing today to check the movie out and have some good news and bad news.

The good news is the movie does a good job in capturing the story of the book. While it is heavy on the special effects, the scenes do not eclipse the story.

I'd give it a solid B+. If you like the genre and are contemplating going, I recommend the movie.

Make your own call for your own kids, of course. I do think it's okay for my 10 year old - there is violence, but no gore, and not gratuitous. No overt sexualization, and very little swearing. I think the A-word was the worst. So once she finishes the book I'll take her.

The bad news is the previews. Some movie called "Vampire Academy" is coming out, and it's your typical horror/sexualized teen movie. Ugh. I'll probably pick another theater, hopefully the previews will be different.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Do they do "the Enemy's Gate is Down" justice?
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's pushing who.

VIP Member
    I really enjoyed the book and as a parent to a four-year-old son, I found it disturbing and very sad.

*****MOVIE SPOILERS ALERT***********

I thought the movie did a decent job with the time provided. The CGI was very good and I thought the boy who played Ender did a great job.

I wish they did a better job depicting the fact that Ender was deliberately alienated and made to fend for himself with no adult to the rescue. I also thought that they did not do a great job showing how battle fatigued the kids were at Command School up to the end and how Ender started to crack. I miss how they didn't go into the tactics Ender used in the games.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Do they do "the Enemy's Gate is Down" justice?
    If you are referring to the battle room scenes, yes. Apparently there was some wire rigs made for the movie and, to me, it worked.

As for the final simulation, where Bean reminds Ender, that was also well done. But knowing the entire story ahead of time probably takes away from the movie. Still, it was enjoyable.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really want to see "Ender's Game" but I am terrified at what they may have done to one of my favorite books of all time... I read the first four in the series and "Ender's Shadow." I heard they cut the entire Demosthenese and Locke sideline... A VERY important part of the story with Valentine and Peter.... Sad...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I really want to see "Ender's Game" but I am terrified at what they may have done to one of my favorite books of all time... I read the first four in the series and "Ender's Shadow." I heard they cut the entire Demosthenese and Locke sideline... A VERY important part of the story with Valentine and Peter.... Sad...
    Yes, that was not in the movie. But it would have been difficult to give it full treatment in a 2 hour time limit. So if you go, you have to accept the limitations of movie adaptations.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are also huge fans of the book. We saw the movie, and I wouldn't say I recommend it but I don't think it was bad either. There are so many complex relationships in the book that it would be hard to capture something like that on the screen. Here's how I would describe the movie for those that love the book: If the story as told in the book is a lake, the movie is a stone skipping across the surface of the lake. It touches upon most of what's in the book, but feels incredibly rushed and like we are just seeing a series of scenes from the book flashing from one to the next. To really do it justice, it really should have been a 3+ hour movie.

Having said that, though, we LOVED the visuals in the movie. The effects were stunning and really captured the essence of what was presented in the story, in many respects.

If you go see it without tremendously high expectations regarding the story and just plan to enjoy the visuals, it's worth the trip. Just my opinion. Take it for what any anonymous internet opinion is worth.

Enjoy!
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Sponsored Links