Not political or religious, just wondering

This is a discussion on Not political or religious, just wondering within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does you religious or political affilations have any effect on your gun ownership or gun beliefs? Is there any organized entity that has an effect ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Not political or religious, just wondering

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Does you religious or political affilations have any effect on your gun ownership or gun beliefs?

Is there any organized entity that has an effect on your firearm opinions?

I do not want to start a war or argument but I met a man that is a missionary to India and he is aagainst owning guns but he enjoys shooting the guns owned by others.

A pastor of a large church that is a friend neighbor has a beautiful gun collection and says Scripture says to have weapons to protect one's family. Another friend in another denomination says it is wrong to use a weapon on others but rather forgive them while praying for them.

Some political groups, not political sides, have adversions to firearms. I am not a member of any of those groups and do not have an axe to grind against them.

So I am curious if any group or sect has effected your opinions on firearms.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    My church's views of self-defense affirm what I believe. It is a Southern Baptist church, but that does not mean all SBC's would agree. They are all autonomous so they can have different views on things that are not considered doctrine.

I'm not a member of any religious groups.I'm not a member of any political party,so for me,my answer would be no.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    No.

VIP Member
    No, I can't say that any affiliation I have influenced me to own a gun. I don't know what my church's official stance on gun ownership is, but I've never heard anything negative about it.

Politically, I'm a Conservative, so no flack there either.
    oldman45 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    I'd say no. For me, gun ownership is common sense like fire extinguisher ownership.
    NONAME762, Tzadik and blitzburgh like this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    No, I can't say that any affiliation I have influenced me to own a gun. I don't know what my church's official stance on gun ownership is, but I've never heard anything negative about it.

Politically, I'm a Conservative, so no flack there either.
    Well........While I am conservative in some things, I am liberal in others. None of my views keep me from owning guns. Nor would I be a member of a group that might attempt to get me to get rid of my guns.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    My foundational Christian beliefs do support defending myself by owning "tools" for my defense. "Turn the other cheek" is a great example. It does not mean that I am to be a punching bag.

It would be very difficult to elaborate on these things as, I do not believe, it would fall within the guidelines of this forum. I understand and will try to stay within their regulations. I am unsure as to where the line is drawn concerning this subject. Should the forum owners permit the social/cultural history, of a particular nation, then I would be more than happy to explain.

IMHO: This is a good subject. Thanks
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Yeah....I kept thinking that my answer was "no", but I read the OPs question again, "Is there any organized entity that has an effect on your firearm opinions?".

Those nasty persons on the anti side really ticked me off. Everything to them seemed to be either "NRA killers/Murderers", or something to do with gun owners having small anatomy.

Heck, to hear a president, BEFORE HE WAS SWORN IN A 2nd TIME, come out for another gun ban, broke the cookie with me. To see one of the worlds richest men (bloomberg) funding politicians and political initiatives to disarm our people disgusted me.

Whats gone on this entire year on the gun grabber, and mag and ammo limiting folks side of the aisle,has disgusted me.

So yeah. And Im telling you that they have made a bad mistake.... They woke all of us up.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

No, as an apostate, I don't think there's enough of a 'culture' to strongly influence me. As well, I think my stance on gun freedoms or gun ownership lead me to choose my political party (that I support) and not the other way around.
    oldman45 likes this.
    Matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to a DwB (MSF) donation seems poetic to me.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible with this (simple) discovery. Tell the kids about this and "type III levers"! It's an untapped technology...

I initially struggled with the idea of owning firearms and what it could mean for me spiritually if I ever had to use them to defend myself or family. Then, I stopped listening to others and actually dug into it myself. Now I fully believe that God allows for the use of deadly force to preserve my life or the life of others.
    tdave, oldman45, Stoveman and 1 others like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I may not have the right reference but I think it's Luke 13 sell your cape get a sword just rough relay here. I am a independent thinker and I will continue on my path.

I would be lying to everyone and myself if I said that the "higher political" opinions concerning firearm ownership hasn't influenced my collection. There are events happening now that I'd have reckoned impossible ten years ago.
    That being said, I'm a baptist - in Georgia. Everyone, clergy or secular, here has firearms. Didn't think about it until I saw the thread.
    Hard not to get fired up about this one.

Has anyone influenced my ownership? No.
    Has anyone influenced my collection? Yes
    StormRhydr, Stoveman and Tzadik like this.

No and no. I think, if anything, I have personally encountered more resistance to the 2A from religious pacifists than from liberals and/or atheists/agnostics.

I have heard the, "God will protect you" argument more times than I can count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links