Yet another reason to shun NYC...

This is a discussion on Yet another reason to shun NYC... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...As if you needed one... So, NYPD shoots at a BG... You happen to be somewhere in the vicinity, say within 50 yards (for NYPD, ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By GeorgiaCarry
  • 4 Post By GraySkies
  • 2 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: Yet another reason to shun NYC...

...As if you needed one...

So, NYPD shoots at a BG... You happen to be somewhere in the vicinity, say within 50 yards (for NYPD, that's considered "minute of BG," at 5 feet.) You are hit by a round. Don't expect any compensation, maybe not even for medical expenses.

Quite possible, according to this story: Bystanders Shot by the Police Face an Uphill Fight to Win Lawsuits - NYTimes.com

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Have you ever known a left-winger to take responsibility for anything?

GeorgiaCarry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Bloomberg was too worried about 22oz sodas to worry about the average citizen being struck by "friendly" gun fire.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    If they sell larger drinks to the people suing then maybe they will die before they win in court . Do we ever think we will not hear from Bozoberg
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

This is sickening. EVERYONE is responsible for EVERY bullet that leaves their gun. Period.

I'm not really thinking millions of dollars in lawsuits or anything, but they should at least cover ALL medical expenses and lost wages WITHOUT being sued for it.
    niks, Sister, Tzadik and 1 others like this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

You all are being silly. We all know that only trained LE should have guns, and that since they are trained, they never miss. Jeez!

VIP Member
    I began shunning New York many, many reasons ago.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Absent some egregious negligence, or outright malfeasance, on the part of the police, I do tend to agree with these decisions. There has to be some level of immunity for police. We (taxpayer citizens) set up police officers to enforce the laws. Such enforcement ranges from stopping drivers for slow and go's to shooting criminals. If every municipality that employes a cop is sued when the cop misses and strikes someone else, we'll just drive up our tax rates to pay for the multi-million dollar suits that will start flying.

Yeah, it would really suck to get shot by a cop that missed a bad guy. But unless the cop was doing something way out of line (e.g., going "Bad Lieutenant"), I understand why there would be some immunity.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

If there is immunity or LE for hitting innocents then there should be for citizens in justified SD shootings. Moreso the citizen because he or she isnt likely to have the benefit of a partner or six partners body armor etc during the shooting to help him/her. If not then there should not be for LE either. Fed up with this double standard stuff.

Pick a road and go down it, LE and citizen. JMO
    Sister and blitzburgh like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    If there is immunity or LE for hitting innocents then there should be for citizens in justified SD shootings. Moreso the citizen because he or she isnt likely to have the benefit of a partner or six partners body armor etc during the shooting to help him/her. If not then there should not be for LE either. Fed up with this double standard stuff.

Pick a road and go down it, LE and citizen. JMO
    I do agree with you. But, as with police, there should be some limits on immunity, even if the shoot is justified. I don't think there should ever be a blanket immunity for all circumstances in which third party innocents are injured.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Apparently you are safer with the NYPD shooting at you instead of someone else.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I do agree with you. But, as with police, there should be some limits on immunity, even if the shoot is justified. I don't think there should ever be a blanket immunity for all circumstances in which third party innocents are injured.
    I agree that the police should be immune from personal lawsuits stemming from things like this, but I also agree with Grayskies comment...the city should pay ALL medical expenses and lost wages of it's citizens that are innocently caught up in gunfire.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Finally we can see where Bloomberg was headed with the low capacity clips........He just wanted to reduce the number of innocent bystanders wounded or killed by his keystone cops.

If a city truck runs into a car, who pays the bill?

Sponsored Links