Hollywood, and video games can't be the problem....

This is a discussion on Hollywood, and video games can't be the problem.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ... It's the guns. Isn't it? Well, if it's NOT the guns... It might be the movies.... Here's a story about the measured increase in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Hollywood, and video games can't be the problem....

Hollywood, and video games can't be the problem....

... It's the guns. Isn't it?

Well, if it's NOT the guns... It might be the movies.... Here's a story about the measured increase in gunfire in movies since the 60's... And since the rating system began...

And guess what? PG 13 movies have increased gunfire OVER all other age range ratings...

Story here: Bustle

Now, video games aren't covered.. But they didn't exist in the 60's... And, we all know, the most popular games aren't anything like Oregon Trail... They're GTA, HALO, and others... Heavy on GUNS.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    What bothers me most about the video games is the generation of plush tubs of goo (body and mind) they are generating. I live in a neighborhood full of kids- the boys mostly are weird little introverted dorks that would rather play xbox than run around and explore their world that surrounds them. The handful that have not been hypnotized are still rather cool little chaps that I allow my own son to play with. The common denominator among them is that the parents don't allow video games at all, or at least severely restricts them. My own kid plays no more than 30 minutes a day, about 3 days a week.
    Then you have the whole crowd that is "educated" on guns and gun culture by video games... Don't get me ranting on that.
    PEF, Jeanlouise, WHEC724 and 7 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Oh make no mistake, we played war games, and cops and robbers in our day, too.. Right, SIXTO?

But we played outside, with cap guns, or lacking those, sticks. And we used our imaginations, nobody had to imagine for us....

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    msgt/ret, niks, Sister and 3 others like this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    Heck, when I was a kid in the early 1980's my "video game" was .22 hollow points, aluminum pop cans, gasoline and matches. A .22 Yellow Jacket aerosolizing 12 ounces of gasoline in the presence of an open flame is a heck of a lot better to watch than any make-believe rail gun in a video game.

And what happened to me? I turned out okay. I think.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What bothers me most about the video games is the generation of plush tubs of goo (body and mind) they are generating. I live in a neighborhood full of kids- the boys mostly are weird little introverted dorks that would rather play xbox than run around and explore their world that surrounds them. The handful that have not been hypnotized are still rather cool little chaps that I allow my own son to play with. The common denominator among them is that the parents don't allow video games at all, or at least severely restricts them. My own kid plays no more than 30 minutes a day, about 3 days a week.
    Then you have the whole crowd that is "educated" on guns and gun culture by video games... Don't get me ranting on that.
    I think this is a big issue, bigger than "exposure to gun violence" bugaboo. Short attention span, lack of exercise, and a general lack of curiosity.

Last weekend I ran a 5k with my 10 year old daughter. It was cold outside Saturday morning, and she and I crawled out of our warm beds, went to the race, and then stood around trying to stay warm until the race started. I coached her along during the run and she beat her prior time. We were home by 9:15 AM, sweaty and laughing.

It was great.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Read LTC David Grossman's, "On Killing". He has done the research.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Ozno7...%3D_9Ozno7HMGE
    SIXTO and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Getting my kid his first dirtbike has done wonders on keeping him outside. Seeing him stumble in, smiling, bleeding and covered in dirt gives me a warm fuzzy.

VIP Member
    I had pretty much unrestricted access to video games growing up and I still chose to be outside playing football and baseball every day after my homework was done. Forget sitting around inside, there's hits to be made and taken!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Plush tubs of goo.

Looking out my window at the neighborhood kids has new meaning.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    The evil side of me likes seeing people so involved on their gadgets (phones/games) that they walk into poles. I have a young friend 27yo that walks into poles/cars all the time because he can't get his face off that screen in his hand. No wonder the gov can distort reality to their way of thinking - people won't look up to see what is going on.

I haven't played a video game since pac man or pong. Outside is too darn pretty to waste my life on an animated box using someone's imagination and not using my own.

Last edited by Sister; November 12th, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
    GOA Member
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

I have a set of grand kids (not strict definition) taken from mother now in custody of her brother and my daughter. They do play video games. They now have great attentive parents and God please help me to be the grand parent they need.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I do not blame the gun, Hollywood, or the video games. My generation started the gaming industry. I have been playing since I was 12 and have not stopped. My parents did not use it as a babysitter. A lot of the blame falls on the parents..JMO
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Heck, when I was a kid in the early 1980's my "video game" was .22 hollow points, aluminum pop cans, gasoline and matches. A .22 Yellow Jacket aerosolizing 12 ounces of gasoline in the presence of an open flame is a heck of a lot better to watch than any make-believe rail gun in a video game.

And what happened to me? I turned out okay. I think.
    I'm not trying to be rude, but you're a sock monkey with rainbow hair and a Richard Simmons headband...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    never owned a game system, only ever played a couple games owned by friends. and yes i grew up in the video game generation, born in 81. spent most of my childhood playing lego and taking things apart, didn't get good at putting them back together till much later.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    never owned a game system, only ever played a couple games owned by friends. and yes i grew up in the video game generation, born in 81. spent most of my childhood playing lego and taking things apart, didn't get good at putting them back together till much later.
    Yes, but you must admit that we all got bored with Zelda and Mike Tyson's punch out after an hour or so... then it was back to playing in the real world.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links