Guys you have to see this.; this could be really handy...

This is a discussion on Guys you have to see this.; this could be really handy... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I received this link in an email. It's a way to test dry cells without any kind of tester. Naturally I was skeptical as I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Guys you have to see this.; this could be really handy...

Senior Moderator

Guys you have to see this.; this could be really handy...

I received this link in an email. It's a way to test dry cells without any kind of tester. Naturally I was skeptical as I'm sure you are.

If you're like me, you often have dry cells laying around and wonder if they are good or bad, but not so much that you'll dig out a tester, etc. to test them. Or, maybe you're 'out' and a tester isn't available, or maybe you don't even own a tester. This may be the answer.

How To test a AA battery, Easiest Way For Any Battery Fast, Easy! - YouTube

It turns out that we have two boxes of AA cells in various conditions. So I started 'testing' them and even got some students to help. We did the test and grouped the batteries in three categories, good, bad, and somewhere in between. Then we started measuring the open terminal voltage to see what that would show. Batteries from the good pile showed about 1.58 - 1.61 volts. Batteries in the bad pile showed anything from millivolts to about 1.3 volts. Batteries from the in between pile measured about 1.48-1.55 volts.

So, our conclusion is, THIS WORKS AND WORKS WELL! We did not do an exhaustive test, but we did enough using a large number of people and batteries to see that everyone could pick the good from the bad.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Now that's amazing! Thanks for posting that video!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

maybe its to early but i can tell if this is serious or not.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Senior Moderator
    It's serious.

I'm an electrical engineer and as skeptical as it gets. I hear so many things that are supposed to be that I know can't be, that I don't trust anything until I test it. I don't see any 'hitch' in this. I must have tried over a dozen AA cells in unknown conditions and had students do the testing. The voltmeter showed they picked right every time. Some of the in-betweens were a bit iffy but that's to be expected. But they even started picking the in betweens pretty accurately based on the test.

But the test is really presented as a good-bad test.

The prevailing theory among the engineers here is that a fresh cell has a semi-fluid paste-like electrolyte that absorbs shock and hence eliminates bounce. It is thought that the electrolyte in bad cells has dried out as it discharges and loses the elasticity of a new cell - but that's just a theory. We have no way to confirm it. Hmmm, I guess would could cut open some cells.
    atctimmy and pgrass101 like this.

Very cool tip. I have a meter, and test batteries frequently. Its amazing how many times you find out that its just one battery that is bad, or that all are good, and its another problem.

I look at your tip as a way to still test when you dont have access to a meter. And that is something way good.

I swear, I thought the tip was going to be something like "Touch the tip of the battery to your tongue", or something, lol.

VIP Member
    Wow, that's really neat!

I've always stuck my tongue on the + end to test batteries a kid. That works, too. Much more on the D cells than a AAA.
    StormRhydr and welder516 like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lol, try it on a rectangular 9 volt battery. Your tongue will really get a "zing".

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Wow, that's really neat!

I've always stuck my tongue on the + end to test batteries a kid. That works, too. Much more on the D cells than a AAA.
    darbo, msgt/ret and Betty like this.

Distinguished Member
    Did you know that you can check for an electrical circuit by sticking a knife in a socket?
    StormRhydr and kiltedcowboy like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No, show me how to do it.
    kiltedcowboy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Also see the childrens classic, "Why Ms Electrical socket & Mr Fork cant be friends", lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Did you know that you can check for an electrical circuit by sticking a knife in a socket?
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No, show me how to do it.
    It's easy OV...try it! Even an AF guy like yourself can do it without the manual.

Senior Moderator
    Just a word of caution. Touching the hot side of an outlet isn't a good idea, but if you are insulated from everything, you won't get shocked. I'm not sure under those conditions you can tell if there's voltage on it though.

BUT, if you happen to touch something that's grounded, like a SS sink, or other "conduct-to-ground" appliance, with the other hand the current will flow through the "knife" hand, that arm, through the chest, including the heart and lungs, and the other arm and hand.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    BUT, if you happen to touch something that's grounded, like a SS sink, or other "conduct-to-ground" appliance, with the other hand the current will flow through the "knife" hand, that arm, through the chest, including the heart and lungs, and the other arm and hand.
    You say that likes it's a bad thing.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    You say that likes it's a bad thing.
    LOL! It's only bad if it's me!
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Neato
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links