Gardening - FYI

This is a discussion on Gardening - FYI within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's a website I get a monthly updates on and bunches of ideas and info. Can't figure out how to navigate on the site so ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sister
  • 1 Post By 357and40

Thread: Gardening - FYI

Distinguished Member

Gardening - FYI

Here's a website I get a monthly updates on and bunches of ideas and info. Can't figure out how to navigate on the site so I don't post there but the gardening info is valuable.

Plants Database (All Things Plants)

Great for those preppers out there and those that like to eat stuff out of their yard. It's a feel good thing to me to put a few seeds in the ground and then get yummy food/herbs a few months later. Saves money too.

Best fertilizer I have found is if you bury fish heads/parts near your plants they love it! You can buy liquid fish guts (seriously) from home and garden stores if you don't live where you have access to fish.

Only negative about the fish parts, it will draw cats to your garden.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    GOA Member
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

2. Remove Ads

My sister is a health nut and did a tower garden. She grows all her own veggies.

I gave her grief the first time I saw it & asked her when she would harvest her first load of Hydroponic Ganja.

In urban environments it is the only way to really garden worth a darn.
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Here's a website I get a monthly updates on and bunches of ideas and info. Can't figure out how to navigate on the site so I don't post there but the gardening info is valuable.

Plants Database (All Things Plants)

Great for those preppers out there and those that like to eat stuff out of their yard. It's a feel good thing to me to put a few seeds in the ground and then get yummy food/herbs a few months later. Saves money too.

Best fertilizer I have found is if you bury fish heads/parts near your plants they love it! You can buy liquid fish guts (seriously) from home and garden stores if you don't live where you have access to fish.

Only negative about the fish parts, it will draw cats to your garden.
    The cats will give you extra fertilizer.

Cat also love the newly turned earth to you you know...but you can spread citrus peels around to discourage them. I also garden, have compost and three horses to provide manure. I don't use commercial pesticides or fertilizer and try to use heirloom/non-gmo seeds. There are lots of good sites on the web about companion planting and using beneficial bugs.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for that link Sister! It's very interesting and lots of good information.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    My sister is a health nut and did a tower garden. She grows all her own veggies.

I gave her grief the first time I saw it & asked her when she would harvest her first load of Hydroponic Ganja.

In urban environments it is the only way to really garden worth a darn.

WOW! Is that her garden or just a sample pic of what one looks like? That is beautiful. Where did she get the hydroponic tubs to plant in?

I have to admit, I'm not very good at gardening. I don't have a good spot to put in stuff and the deer, rabbits and ground hogs get to a lot of the stuff before it even ripens...very frustrating. This year, squirrels stripped our little Peach tree of all the peaches when they were about the size of golf balls.

However, I could try hydroponic gardening on my deck because the animals probably wouldn't come that close to the house.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Links