cell phones & pumping gas - a warning

cell phones & pumping gas - a warning

This is a discussion on cell phones & pumping gas - a warning within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi, hope y'all haven't seen this yet (or maybe hope you have - just came in my email today). I didn't know this and am ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

Thread: cell phones & pumping gas - a warning

Distinguished Member

Exclamation cell phones & pumping gas - a warning

Hi, hope y'all haven't seen this yet (or maybe hope you have - just came in my email today). I didn't know this and am guilty of doing it. Thought it would be good to pass along:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shell Oil Comments -

Safety Alert!
    Here are some reasons why we don't allow cell phones in operating areas, propylene oxide handling and storage area, propane, gas and diesel refueling areas.

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fuelling operations.

In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fuelling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline pump.

In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car!

And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while they were fuelling their car.

You should know that: Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes.

Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition.

Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fuelling lawn mowers, boat, etc.

Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust, (I.e., solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc...)

TO sum it up, here are the Four Rules for Safe Refuelling:

1) Turn off engine
    2) Don't smoke
    3) Don't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off
    4) Don't re-enter your vehicle during fuelling.

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of 'static electricity' at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires.

His results were very surprising:

1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.

2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas. When finished, they went back to pull the nozzle out and the fire started, as a result of static.

3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.

4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.

5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas.

6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.

7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulted in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.

8) Seventeen fires occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fuelling began.

Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with gas.
    If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping, make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As I mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with several other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware of this danger.

I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas. If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in time.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Cell phones operating properly do not set off gas fumes
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

snopes.com: Cell Phone Use at Gas Pump

Sorry, Sister, this isn't true. Another email hoax.

As for incidents elsewhere in the world, after several reports in the United States where mobile phones were blamed for fires at gas stations, both the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA) and the American Petroleum Institute issued statements denying the risk. The CTIA said, "There is no evidence whatsoever that a wireless phone has ever caused ignition or explosion at a station anywhere in the world. Wireless phones don't cause gas stations to blow up. Warnings being posted in petrol stations simply perpetuate the myth." The American Petroleum Institute said, "We can find no evidence of someone using a cellphone causing any kind of accident, no matter how small, at a gas station anywhere in the world."
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Yea not true. Mythbusters debunked this a few years ago.

I honestly don't know why I even have a cell phone. Got one of those Galaxy S4 things and I use it maybe 3 times a week. Guess i'm not important enough to be talking to someone regularly, much less when I'm pumping gas!

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    snopes.com: Cell Phone Use at Gas Pump

Sorry, Sister, this isn't true. Another email hoax.
    Ok, I'm going to leave it in case it is correct. Snoops doesn't know everything as Wikipedia has incorrect info too. I'd rather be safe than have my face look like it hit a BBQ pit. I do know that static electricity can spark a fire.
    gatorbait51 and fredg53 like this.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Hatrix, I am in the same boat. I had a personal cell phone and when my employer FORCED me to get an iPhone, I got rid of my personal one. We are allowed 300 minutes/month and I use about 5. The rest goes into a pool for the other employees who go over. I am just happy to contribute.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I strongly recommend that you verify anything that you receive in your email that isn't a personal email. ESPECIALLY if it's a forward. There are so many hoaxes in emails, Facebook, etc., that you truly can't believe anything you read. Snopes is a great place for checking out your information and there are others as well.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I strongly recommend that you verify anything that you receive in your email that isn't a personal email. ESPECIALLY if it's a forward. There are so many hoaxes in emails, Facebook, etc., that you truly can't believe anything you read. Snopes is a great place for checking out your information and there are others as well.

Thank you for your strongly recommended opinion. You may re-read my opinion regarding snoops and save me from having to copy it again.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

~ Jesus ~

While it may not be true... Where I work, only intrinsically safe cell phones are allowed in the ethanol loading areas... all pipes are grounded, the railcar is grounded.

Intrinsically safe cell phones are marked as such and rather expensive. and none I know of are "smart" phones.

Same with radios, all of our radios are intrinsically safe and marked as such.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Ok, I'm going to leave it in case it is correct. Snoops doesn't know everything as Wikipedia has incorrect info too. I'd rather be safe than have my face look like it hit a BBQ pit. I do know that static electricity can spark a fire.
    Snopes isn't a couple of guys that just decide if things are true or not. They research the topics in question thoroughly. The reason Wikipedia isn't always reliable is because it can be edited by just about anybody. That's why they require sources to be cited. Snopes is not Wikipedia, and it cannot be edited by just anybody who wants to come along.

Read the part I quoted in my post.

"...both the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA) and the American Petroleum Institute issued statements denying the risk. The CTIA said, "There is no evidence whatsoever that a wireless phone has ever caused ignition or explosion at a station anywhere in the world. Wireless phones don't cause gas stations to blow up. Warnings being posted in petrol stations simply perpetuate the myth." The American Petroleum Institute said, "We can find no evidence of someone using a cellphone causing any kind of accident, no matter how small, at a gas station anywhere in the world.""
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The Assn of Trial Lawyers put out a warning on the same thing 4 or 5 years ago. I paid heed to it then, and suggest others do now.

If nothing else look at it this way; What have you got to lose by treating the information as valid? Nothing. What have you & your family got to gain if its true? Potentially everything that matters.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Thank you for your strongly recommended opinion. You may re-read my opinion regarding snoops and save me from having to copy it again.
    I am not trying to change your opinion since you obviously beleive what you beleive. But many studies by many folks that are reputable say that cell phones do not cause fires. Of course, if a spark comes from the cell phone, then that can cause a fire, but it has nothing to do with the RF energy coming from it. It just ain't going to happen.

The reason why many places still have bans in place is because it became suspicion that cell phones caused fires so they just ended up putting up sighs to cover thier butts.

You have more of a danger of a fire with semi truck pulling up to you with all the unintended RF emisiions being generated from it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    The Assn of Trial Lawyers put out a warning on the same thing 4 or 5 years ago. I paid heed to it then, and suggest others do now.

If nothing else look at it this way; What have you got to lose by treating the information as valid? Nothing. What have you & your family got to gain if its true? Potentially everything that matters.
    Yeah, and how long did it take the FAA to finally realize that with modern electronics and the miniscule amount of energy coming from cell phones and other devices that planes did not crash nor affect their avionics.

I worked on aircraft and went through EMI testing on aircraft. It was known long ago that cell phones were safe. But they kept the ban because of parania and a cover-your-butt atitude....nothing based on real science.

A rough calculation of the free air path loss for a cell phone signal at 1 meter is about 32 db. Translated that means a 200 millwatt emission is reduced to .126 watts (apporx) which is 0.000162 v-a

A 2 mm spark from static electricity is 6000V

Sorry, I uses science, not perpetuated myths.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post

A lot of people have put out warnings. But does the Assn of Trial Lawyers study Cell Phone Use or Petroleum, or both? At this point it has basically become an urban legend that this could happen, and because so many people are willing to blindly believe what they read/hear, it sticks. This doesn't make it true.
    gatorbait51, msgt/ret and suntzu like this.

If you don't want to believe Snopes, Sister, then at least believe Shell, who the email claims sent out the message in the first place:

False Shell 'Safety News' circulating online - Malaysia
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links