150 Years ago today

This is a discussion on 150 Years ago today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 150 Years ago today

Senior Moderator

150 Years ago today

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
    November 19, 1863
    ANGLICO, Jeanlouise and Pinot like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Common Core math?
    StormRhydr likes this.

I dont get it.

That's 150 years ago.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    Common Core math?
    Four score and seven = 87 years.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Four score and seven = 87 years.
    1863=150 years ago
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    1863 - 1776 = 87 years

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    1863 - 1776 = 87 years
    200 Years ago today
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Reminds me of an episode in our local court years ago. One of my customers was a Public Defender and was representing a defendant in a break in or burglary case. While the knucklehead co-defendant was on the stand, he testified to the following:
    Prosecutor: Were you in the building?
    Knucklehead: Naw man, I didn't go in there
    P: You were outside?
    KH: Yea, man
    P: So you were acting as a sentry?
    KH: Huh?
    P: You were the sentry. Do you know what a sentry is?
    KH: Yea,man. Ten years.

Senior Moderator
    Sorry I forgot that everyone doesn't time travel
    WHEC724, ugh762x39, niks and 4 others like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

You can bet ole Barry would never make a speech as stirring as that made by Abe Lincoln.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for posting this Pgrass101.

Zero is sending some else to speak for him, reckon a president that is passed away is still too much competition to him. Maybe he's just smart enough to know that without a teleprompter he will make a horses behind of himself.
    msgt/ret and niks like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Senior Moderator
    Let's not make this thread about how bad the current president is, but about the sacrifice people have made for our country and how we can honor those sacrifices
    blitzburgh, niks and Mike1956 like this.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The Gettysburg Address (no matter what the math is) was about the "aftermath" of this battle in the conflict we know as the American Civil War.

I have been to the battlefield and it is huge to say the least. We were there just after the anniversary of the battle, it was mid July and it was hot as you know what. I could only imagine what those boys on both sides had to endure.

Lincoln was not the favoured or the guest speaker at the dedication of the National Cemetery, they only wanted him to "say a few appropriate words" to which history now reflects that he actually did. Many did not even want Lincoln there, but since he was "President" they gingerly allowed him to speak.

Edward Everett was the speaker and he delivered a two-hour speech that nobody even remembers him, let alone what he spoke about. Lincoln stood up and in just two minutes, immortalized those words we find precious and true.
    welder516 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Consecration of hallowed ground. I have been there as well. You can "feel" something. Very powerful, and a truly remarkable time in our nations history. God bless those who came before and served and those who do, and those yet to come.
    welder516 and niks like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links