Basic get home kit

This is a discussion on Basic get home kit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lots of folks think about bug out bags, sometimes too much so. Often overlooked is the more important get home kit. Those things that will ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ctr
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Basic get home kit

VIP Member

Basic get home kit

Lots of folks think about bug out bags, sometimes too much so. Often overlooked is the more important get home kit. Those things that will make it easier and increase the odds of making it home from work or shopping should something happen.

I have gone thru many iterations of items, kits, and bags over the years. The size and number of items have decreased with knowledge and most importantly time in the field. Below is a photo of the current iteration of the get home kit. Sometimes the kit rides in just this bag, other times it's home is in a pack depending on what is going on.

The kit stays in the car trunk with a broken in pair of shoes and spare socks, as well as an old pair of glasses and a seasonally appropriate jacket.

image.jpg

Now about the contents.

The bag is a quart size plastic bag contained within another quart size bag. This provides for up to 2 water containers and or a spare bag for boiling water. A Sparklite fire starter is in the kit. Sometimes I use a magnesium bar. One large butane lighter. It's best to learn to use many items and don't depend on any one item.

A disposable poncho, space blanket, and 12 feet of 17 pound masons line provide a host of opportunities for protection from the elements. The masons twine can secure the poncho or as a limited shelter be worn around the waist in windy conditions or to hold stuffed leaves or paper for insulation.

The bag contains a single 12 hour light stick because bad situations don't always start in the light of day. The light stick avoids dealing with batteries, flashlights, bulbs, etc. I have yet to have one fail.

There is a simple pocket knife with can and bottle opener. I have found this to be the most useful tool over the years. Lighter and cheaper than a multitool. Actually I think these really are the original multitool.

There is a spare house key, a family photo, and $60 dollars in small bills stashed in the middle of the kit in a separate plastic bag. The kit also features a few small candies and an energy bar. I learned the moral boosting value of a small candy when going thru a survival course without food for a week. The wax paper wrapper is also a tinder fire starter and works well.

The kit contains a bandanna and a balaclava which are two very valuable items. These have so many uses besides the obvious they are wonderful to have. There are 2 gauze pads 3 by 3 in size and 2 packets of wound powder. A packet or small tube of Ibuprofen round it out.

This is the same kit I grab when going hiking or hunting. I have used it many times and am familiar with the contents. These are not have to have items, but make getting thru a tough situation easier.

The kit works in urban and rural settings with equal functionality.

Many of the items are multipurpose, most are inexpensive, and all are readily available. I don't get hung up on expensive items or brand names. Survival is about making do with what you have, not what you wish to have. No amount of gear will make up for inexperience and bad judgement regardless of how much money is spent on the contents.
    Last edited by ctr; November 20th, 2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
    FireNerd and Brady like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I forgot to mention this is a fairly inexpensive kit. Total cost is less than 90 dollars not including the stash of cash. The kit can be made less expensive by substituting lower cost items. All of the items are readily available.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've got a spare tire, a cell phone, and AAA to get me home. The FL heat will ruin most anything else left in a vehicle for long term.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Always good to get input from other folks. Thanks.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    mmmmm.... tootsie rolls :)

Nicely done ctr
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I could probably slim mine down too and probably fit it all in my FatBoy. Good post, made me think.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Good post. If Civil Unrest occurs while you are not at home, a "Get Home Bag" is a good idea.
    Mine is similar. Some bottled water, instant coffee (it works dry, too), jumper cables, fix-a-flat, fuse pack for vehicle, minor first aid kit as something (like eye-drops or tweezers) can save you serious misery, LED Flashlight, rope, a 42" piece of clean/painted 3/8 re-bar (LTL weapon), etc.
    Mostly what I've always kept in there + blankets in Winter & waters in Summer.

Now days, 'Junior' goes in the Trunk or passenger seat with several Pmags in its case (healthy Pessimism?): truck gun.jpg
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I have a slightly larger bag in my trunk for this same purpose. It has a waterproof blanket, a change of clothes (including sneakers so I don't have to try to walk in my dress work shoes), a first aid kit, coffee filters (for very basic water filtering), a jacket, spare box of ammo for the gun I carry with me most often, a folding knife, multi-tool, flashlight (actually a crank radio/flashlight combo), and a couple of MREs. I also usually have some of my cold weather cycling gear and helmet back in there, and my car emergency kit (reflectors and such) but they are separate from my bag. I keep refining the bag when I get more ideas. Have used it twice. Once I had to pull over and kiss my car goodbye because there was a tornado coming up the highway (by the grace of God it left my car in the place I parked it, but I hadn't expected that to be so, so I snatched the bag and ran for safety, expecting to have to walk a bit) and I was 40 miles from home, another time I got stranded on the highway for six hours because of ice (brought the bag up front just in case, didn't actually need it).

Basic get home kit?

MRAP with a full tank.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

I made this video about a year ago showing what I keep in my bag. I also consider my bag a "get me home bag" and not a bug-out bag. I suppose there are some similarities, though.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member
    My GHB is a back pack. Nothing big, spectacular, expensive or extensive. Just a light pack with the things I consider useful and helpful to get my butt home in an emergency. Also keep one in the wife's car - never know which I/we might be in.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links