1911 Slide Removal

1911 Slide Removal

This is a discussion on 1911 Slide Removal within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I remember seeing Lethal Weapon 4 a while back and wondering how Jet Li was able to strip the slide off of Mel's gun so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1911 Slide Removal

I remember seeing Lethal Weapon 4 a while back and wondering how Jet Li was able to strip the slide off of Mel's gun so quickly. I chalked it up to the magic of Hollywood.

Well, here's my attempt (yes, that's me in the video).
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43570466485525

Given that the slide won't come off with a magazine in place in the Beretta, it's either Hollywod magic or Jet Li broke something really badly when he did it (I've no idea how much force it would take to rip the slide off with the magazine still in place).

How did you remove that slide without taking out the release and monkeying about with the bushing, and all that?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore View Post
    How did you remove that slide without taking out the release and monkeying about with the bushing, and all that?
    Actually, it's all in the index finger. I'm pressing on the slide release (the little nub on the right side of the gun). As I rack the slide back, pressure is still being applied by my index finger. When the groove in the slide matches up with the slide release, it is pushed out (the little "ting" sound you hear is the slide release hitting the floor). I have a bull barrel on my compact (the gun I used in the video), but I have done it with my 5 inch govie as well.

Lead Moderator
    Rumors abound as to Beretta slides being removed during PD encounters. I wonder how much of this is internet myth.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

What Razorblade did is an old armors trick for quick disassembly of the 1911.

I have seen instructors remove the slide from 92s in the past.
    Design Flaw maybe . It definately works better on a "used" pistol.
    92 pointed at you, grab top of slide, pressed button in, flip lever and pull slide.
    The instructors practiced alot and could do it very quickly.

I don't recommend trying this.
    Last edited by Leadslinger; December 10th, 2006 at 03:16 PM.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

I'd actually like to try it with a Beretta 92. I dont remember which side had which, but as long as the release button was on one side and the lever on the other, it should be only a matter of thumb and index finger manipulation. But as Phil said, it's all a question of having the mag inserted.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    I'd actually like to try it with a Beretta 92. I dont remember which side had which, but as long as the release button was on one side and the lever on the other, it should be only a matter of thumb and index finger manipulation. But as Phil said, it's all a question of having the mag inserted.
    with a pt-101, your right, with a mag in the slide won't come off; but, it will slide forward enough that the pistol is out of battery.
    I suspect the Beretta will do the same.

What do you know...it DOES work on a 1911....
    I'm impressed.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I recall this being discussed at an in-service class I attended many years ago. I think the guy said it came out of LA and was allegedly being practiced by cons. I don't think it had actually happened, but I'm not sure. The instructor suggested that if someone reaches for your gun, perhaps you should MOVE IT rather than let him grab it, the normal response. Further, he grabs it, maybe you have time to switch to another force option (pull the trigger) before he can get the slide control manipulated to remove it. IIRC, Beretta came out with a cheap solution to this possible problem that was sold or given to LEOs. I'd be interested to see if this ever really happened, but I would think it would be all over the polcie world if it ever had.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    with a pt-101, your right, with a mag in the slide won't come off; but, it will slide forward enough that the pistol is out of battery.
    I suspect the Beretta will do the same.
    Same with a PT-99AF, if you're not willing to yank hard enough to damage the mag. Someone not concerned about ruining the equipment might be able to jerk it hard enough to slip it past, bending the feed lips, and jamming the gun up hard whether the slide actually came off or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I think the guy said it came out of LA and was allegedly being practiced by cons.
    I plead the the Fifth...

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    The instructor suggested that if someone reaches for your gun, perhaps you should MOVE IT rather than let him grab it, the normal response. Further, he grabs it, maybe you have time to switch to another force option (pull the trigger) before he can get the slide control manipulated to remove it.
    Yes, definatly. By it's very nature, a gun makes a perfect lever. Grab the muzzle end, torque down and away (step to his outside and close the gap before performing). Even if you discharge the firearm, it's definalty going to scare the crap out of him, and THAT might give you the opening you need to gain some distance, rack the slide (since the slide would not have cycled), and neutralize the threat.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to report to my parole officer ;)

There Is a Safer Way...

I would first shoot the BG 2CM & 1H...after he/she falls, then take the weapon and disassemble...much less pressure, and timing is less crutial...

(Still pretty good though, razorblade...)

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would first shoot the BG 2CM & 1H...after he/she falls, then take the weapon and disassemble...much less pressure, and timing is less crutial...

(Still pretty good though, razorblade...)

OMO

ret
    Oh yeah, I agree too. I religate the slide/strip technique to a neat parlor trick. Not anything I'd do in a real self defense situation, but rather something to do when you are around your buddies

That's something else!
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links