NYC Congresswoman mugged in DC

This is a discussion on NYC Congresswoman mugged in DC within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Talk about 0 Situational Awareness,and she grew up in NYC? Then she says Shes never been mugged like that before,so is she saying shes been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: NYC Congresswoman mugged in DC

Talk about 0 Situational Awareness,and she grew up in NYC? Then she says Shes never been mugged like that before,so is she saying shes been mugged before?
    New York Congresswoman Grace Meng mugged in DC - Houston Chronicle
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Irony at it's finest...it's usually Congress mugging the American people, not the other way around.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

She's a Dem. They want to make everyone victims, so she should be pleased.
    darbo, 357and40 and gatorbait51 like this.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

As a Democrat from NYC, why didn't she just call the police to protect her???

Maybe she'll understand the reality of crime now. It doesn't happen in a sterile text book setting where the person comes up and asks you for money, you politely say no, then extol the virtues of a straight and narrow life, then the police officer standing a few feet away arrests the person and you go home secure in the knowledge that he will be rehabilitated because of your interaction. They sneak up and bash in your head and take off with what they want while you lay there bleeding.

But she scored a moral victory because she didn't have a gun (<--- sarcasm). Jiminy crickets.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Talk about 0 Situational Awareness,and she grew up in NYC? Then she says Shes never been mugged like that before,so is she saying shes been mugged before?
    New York Congresswoman Grace Meng mugged in DC - Houston Chronicle
    The article also said this:
    She said she's never been mugged before.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Surprise !!!!!!!!! Surprise !!!!!!!!!! ( my best Gomer Pyle voice )
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The article also said this:
    She said she's never been mugged before.
    Guess she is officially a New Yorker now...

Wonder if she will get a tax-payer-funded armed guard now...
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    No one, especially a woman, should walk anywhere in DC alone at night!

In a city, there's only just so much situational awareness you can employ. There are so many places for BGs to hide and jump out. Many neighborhoods in DC have a lot of trees and bushes lining the street, hidden doorways, alleys etc. If you're on the sidewalk, they can come out from anywhere in a split second.

Her mistake was walking alone to her apartment. I just can't believe she did that. She's lucky she's alive to tell about it.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    As a Democrat from NYC, why didn't she just call the police to protect her???

Maybe she'll understand the reality of crime now. It doesn't happen in a sterile text book setting where the person comes up and asks you for money, you politely say no, then extol the virtues of a straight and narrow life ...

Likely she won't get it, though ... you know, the simple reality (not "party line") that when seconds count police are only minutes away, that you can't very well use what you don't have with you, head on a swivel, and all the rest. Predators prey upon others, and they want what you've got. Want to refuse them? Well then ... take some pains at having the ability to do just that, or don't. But don't dare believe that dragging us all into the same boat as you (congress weenies) is going to end up making this the utopia you imagine. It'll end up only making this a predators' utopia ... IOW, when citizens are disarmed of guns then only criminals will have guns.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm wondering if Grace was armed whether she would have used it....although.....I know she was praying she had a gun at the time........sorry Grace.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Being from out of town, or a tourist, puts you at risk. We all know the bad areas of our towns. And the signs to look out for. Its a whole nuther ball game when you are from out of town.

DC is strange. VERY close to nice areas, and the Capital area, if you take a wrong turn, (Im thinking about while walking), you can find yourself in the middle of slums, and getting ready to be jumped from all sides.

A friend and I had that happen to us. We were walking back from the capital area, getting some last minute stuff before leaving, took that wrong turn while walking, and ended up in that exact situation. Probably 11 AM, broad daylight, etc. Btw, our navigation was correct, and gotten us back to where we wanted to be, but who knew there was Hells Kitchen a block over.

We were as lucky as two people could be. A gray car pulls up beside us, driver looks at us. My friend yells "Its a taxi!". I look at the car, and see lots of antennas on it, look at the guy driving, and yell "Its a cop!". As in OH HAPPY DAY! The residents of Hells Kitchen had begun to track us, and more and more were joining the soon to be party of mugging the two lost tourists.

Anyway, the cop just says "Get in". He didnt have to ask twice, lol. He drove us back to our hotel, and all ended well, but that was a very close, and bad situation. Of course we were unarmed. It was DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    No one, especially a woman, should walk anywhere in DC alone at night!

In a city, there's only just so much situational awareness you can employ. There are so many places for BGs to hide and jump out. Many neighborhoods in DC have a lot of trees and bushes lining the street, hidden doorways, alleys etc. If you're on the sidewalk, they can come out from anywhere in a split second.

Her mistake was walking alone to her apartment. I just can't believe she did that. She's lucky she's alive to tell about it.
    @ bold: I'm guessing her "friend" was either another woman or a man who wasn't a gentleman. When I live in the city and meet a female friend for a meal, I always walk them back home and/or walk them back to their bus/train stop and wait with them until it arrives.
    gatorbait51 and Jeanlouise like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

While not wishing this to happen to anyone regardless of their politics, gender, blah blah, it really does hammer home the idea that we can no longer depend on others for our self defense and that the laws these people have put into place restricting firearms ownership in Washington, DC and other places for our "protection" are not working at all.

No doubt though she is probably feeling very sorry for the mugger who was forced to turn to that lifestyle because they are victims of society. Had the mugger had everything wanted in life by now, then all would be well. She is probably going to institute legislation to further help those "victims" who have no choice but to rob people. It's a sad, sad state of affairs and if only the rich people would roll over and pay more taxes, this robbery would never have occurred. < monumental sarcasm.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Welcome to the real world, Congresswoman.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    While not wishing this to happen to anyone regardless of their politics, gender, blah blah, it really does hammer home the idea that we can no longer depend on others for our self defense and that the laws these people have put into place restricting firearms ownership in Washington, DC and other places for our "protection" are not working at all.
    I'd like to have her sit down to attempt an explanation of how protection by others works, given she has now seen a thin slice of reality first-hand.

Primary result of a forcibly-disarmed citizenry: a population of potential, easy victims in a target-rich environment, with predators licking their chops awaiting the opportunity to pounce.

That she happens to have her living paid for by the People doesn't make her any different. Disarmed, she's just as incapable of effectively defending her life and the lives of her loved ones as everyone else. Surprise, lady. Welcome to the real world.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links